Options

Cathedral Interiors

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins
edited April 22, 2017 in Other Cool Shots
We took a walk in the cold last Sunday afternoon and took a turn through our romanesque/gothic cathedral. Here are a few of the shots I took - a usual in a dim gothic cathedral, a bit of a light challenge, especially with the 4-5.6 zoom that was on my camera at the time. They're all hand-held at iso 1600 or 3200. I tried not to do too much noise reduction...

1) looking down the nave towards the apse

20160117_010_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

2) detail: door into the apse

20160117_012_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

3) detail: door into apse

20160117_015_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

4) detail: radiating chapel gate

20160117_017_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

5) window: the Prophet Daniel (this set of 5 windows are the oldest in Germany)

20160117_022_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

6) I find it slghtly jarring that this early 18th century chapel is tacked on to the side of the building

20160117_028_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

7) the cloister corridor is full of grave-marking epitaphs

20160117_030_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

8) handle on a sarcophagus of one of the former bishops

20160117_033_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

As usual, critic and comments welcome.

Cheers, Sara

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2016
    I LOVE #2, #3, #5 and #7!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    For #4, if mine I would play around with tighter crop to lose distracting background....(some of the interesting part would be lost)
    For #6 I would see what cloning tool can do with that wire....:D
    Cheers Sara!
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I LOVE #2, #3, #5 and #7!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    For #4, if mine I would play around with tighter crop to lose distracting background....(some of the interesting part would be lost)
    For #6 I would see what. cloning tool can do with that wire....:D
    Cheers Sara!

Thanks, Taz, glad you like them!

-for #4 I'm not sure I agree with you about the distracting background but can see where you're coming from. I'll check through my pictures to see if I have one with less DOF.
    - on #6 I see what you mean. The wire is holding up this:

20160117_027_DMC-G5-M.jpg

So here's the question about photographic honesty: do you take something out of a scene that has an actual function as a part of that scene? It's not like taking a construction crane out of the silhouette of a medieval city (done that :-) . What do you all think?

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2016
    Sara, it's a beautiful series.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2016
    Thanks Don, glad you like them!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited January 25, 2016
    Very nice series. You did quite well in what must have been difficult light. I love the detail shots.
    So here's the question about photographic honesty: do you take something out of a scene that has an actual function as a part of that scene? It's not like taking a construction crane out of the silhouette of a medieval city (done that :-) . What do you all think?
    It depends on your intent. If you are documenting or doing photojournalism, then cloning stuff out in post is not permissible; you can lose your job and reputation if you get caught. You have to lie when framing the shot in the viewfinder instead mwink.gif. OTOH, if your intent is purely artistic, then anything goes, IMO. BUT: cloning is such a pain rolleyes1.gif. The longer I have been shooting, the less inclined I am towards Photoshop heroics. Better to get it right in the camera. But that's just me, and I'm very lazy. :D
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2016
    Richard, thanks for your kind comments.

As cathedrals go, Augsburg's is pretty dark so shooting there is always a bit of a challenge. On the other hand we are so spoiled today in terms of high iso settings - remember when you were lucky to have iso 400 or 800 film in your camera??? Those were the days when I developed a very steady hand and the trick of bracing myself or my camera against a pillar or on the back of a pew.

--as to cloning I admit I am also more from the leave-it-as-it-is school except when it is something like a construction crane against the sky in a medieval village. A certain degree of that is laziness on my part but I also feel that those imperfections remind us that the world is indeed far from perfect - and I'm not sure that perfect is always interesting.

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2016
    I think we are creating art and when it was originally built I don't think there was an electrical wire hanging off the ceiling.....so remove guilt free!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2016
    OK, Taz... I had a half an hour to spare and thought I'd rise to your challenge and exercise my cloning skills. What a PITB! But it was a good exercise - halfway through I remembered the content-aware fill tool and put it to use. I'm not sure I'll be doing so much cloning again so soon but I think it turned out ok. BTW, it just could have been a regular candle candelabra that hung there in the early 18th century... :-)

20160117_028_DMC-G5-Edit-X2.jpg

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2016
    It is magnificent! Before, the wire took all the attention and energy and the beauty that I see now was barely noticeable. Now I see this amazing natural frame and glowing center! What a amazing view! Joyous!iloveyou.gifbow
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2016
    Well then I guess it was worth the work! Thanks for reminding me - I live here in the land of foofy baroque churches and sometimes I am perhaps a bit blasé about what they have to offer, since normally I prefer gothic to baroque.

Chjeers, Sara
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2016
    Very enjoyable series Sara!
    Lots of interesting details - I'm perennially amazed at the art, architecture, science,
    and engineering that went into the construction of the great cathedrals... good job on the cloning too! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2016
    A wonderful set, Sara

I like 1, 5 , 6 and 7.

I probably would have changed my POV to include such a beautiful luminaire in no 6 and then cloning would be moot.

No 1 has a little barrel distortion that can usually be fixed in software.

My particular favorite is no 7 for the leading lines and perfect exposure.

The dynamic range and color in no 5 is very good.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2016
    Eric & Willard, thank you both for taking the time to make comments! Always appreciated!

@ Eric - like you I'm always amazed at the engineering and craftsmanship of a thousand years ago. What makes Augsburg's cathedral particularly interesting is the mix of eras - it was first built in Romanesque times, extensively added on in the Gothic and then in the Baroque they stuck on that fancy chapel on the side. A real mish-mosh of styles.

@ Willard: thanks for pointing out the distortion on #1 - I already had to spend some time correcting the "upright" of it but now I see that I missed the distortion. On #5 I got lucky that the winter light coming through the window was not too bright - I took several shots and this exposure was the best. #6: I'll have to go back and see if I can get a good shot with the candelabra AND the dome - it's kind of a weird angle as the candelabra hangs fairly far below the dome...

Glad you both liked the set!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2016
    OK, Taz... I had a half an hour to spare and thought I'd rise to your challenge and exercise my cloning skills. What a PITB! But it was a good exercise - halfway through I remembered the content-aware fill tool and put it to use. I'm not sure I'll be doing so much cloning again so soon but I think it turned out ok. BTW, it just could have been a regular candle candelabra that hung there in the early 18th century... :-)

20160117_028_DMC-G5-Edit-X2.jpg

Cheers, Sara

Sara, this is a wonderful shot. Great use of light!! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2016
    Thanks, Cristóbal. I was lucky for the somewhat muted sunlight that day which enabled me to bring out the details of that painting.

Cheers, Sara