Options

It's COLD!

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited January 29, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
DSC_7420-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2016
    That is sweet image!
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    That is sweet image!

Thanks Taz! bowdown.gif Means a lot!

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    That is sweet image!

Couldn't agree more! Really like this. thumb.gif
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2016
    Yep, dig it! Warms me up just looking at it :)
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2016
    Love the image! When I look closely at the woman's feet I have to laugh a little... Not really historically accurate...

We did a "nun" opera when I was in college and in one of the dress rehearsals a colleague of mine got chewed out by the stage director for wearing inappropriate shoes. From that day forward she was always known to us as "Sister Mary Nike".

And here's something I've been curious about for a while - do you walk around in costume, too?

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,922 moderator
    edited January 15, 2016
    Nice composition and good idea all around. I'm a little unsure about the flames. At first I thought, bowdown.gif, great job on not overexposing them. On second viewing, I'm not sure I believe them. Dunno, fire is tricky and I've never done a good job myself. Wanna tell us what you did here? HDR?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the image a lot. Just curious, that's all...
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2016
    Love this one - very cool!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2016
    yendikeno wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more! Really like this. thumb.gif

Thanks yendikeno! Really appreciate it.
    bike21 wrote: »

Thanks bike!...It really was cold and it felt great. This is outside of Chowning's Tavern on Duke of Gloucester Street in Colonial Williamsburg. The fire is for those outside waiting on a table. On this particular evening, it was just Becky (the hands) and me with the camera.
    Love the image! When I look closely at the woman's feet I have to laugh a little... Not really historically accurate...

We did a "nun" opera when I was in college and in one of the dress rehearsals a colleague of mine got chewed out by the stage director for wearing inappropriate shoes. From that day forward she was always known to us as "Sister Mary Nike".

And here's something I've been curious about for a while - do you walk around in costume, too?

Cheers, Sara

Sara...no costume for me. I do volunteer giving tours at two sites here but we are not in costume. Only those actually employed by Colonial Williamsburg are in costume. The dress usually covers her shoes so nobody notices those.
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice composition and good idea all around. I'm a little unsure about the flames. At first I thought, bowdown.gif, great job on not overexposing them. On second viewing, I'm not sure I believe them. Dunno, fire is tricky and I've never done a good job myself. Wanna tell us what you did here? HDR?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the image a lot. Just curious, that's all...

Did he or didn't he...mwink.gif! Nope, Richard, no HDR here. The fire you see was just the result of moving sliders initially in LR...then doing some things with PS...don't ask me to remember what happened there. :D So it's a single exposure. And I agree about fire being VERY tough to shoot. They often have them here and getting them right in my book is as hard as shooting fire works!
    travelways wrote: »
    Love this one - very cool!

Tatiana...thank you!

Take care everybody and thanks for looking at the shot!

Wayne

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2016
    bike21 wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif I love the way the smoke is "antiquing" the sky...
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif I love the way the smoke is "antiquing" the sky...

Eric, thank you. It was the reason I got down very low to take the shot. I wanted that effect for the background...to try to bring out the "heat".

Take care,

Wayne

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2016
    Quite a nice story here. Looks very realistic for a time period shot. I especially like the dotted lantern lights on the houses; gives it a warm welcoming feel from the cold outdoors.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    Quite a nice story here. Looks very realistic for a time period shot. I especially like the dotted lantern lights on the houses; gives it a warm welcoming feel from the cold outdoors.

AnnaMaria...thank you so much! Glad you like the shot!

Take care,

Wayne