Options

The Battle, a happy accident.

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited October 8, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
While hiking in the Gibbon River area near Madison Junction in Yellowstone, I heard these two large bulls bugling. Making my way through the woods , they were just starting to challenge each other when I came out of the trees. In my excitement I failed to set my shutter speed correctly and this abstract image is the result.

IMG_6744-L.jpg

Comments, and or critique is sincerely valued.

Larger, https://roaddog52.smugmug.com/Photography/New-Images/i-7MpVCCW/0/X2/IMG_6744-X2.jpg

Phil
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2015
    I saw k-dog do it, and I tried lowering my shutter to create these kind of shots.
    I think 1/150 or so might be the right one as with 1/100 I thought it was too blurry and soft but that probably also depends on how fast the subject is moving.
    This is the right idea though......more artsy that way!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 8, 2015
    Cool! Yeah, I love these kind of shots and they're really hard to do. Usually when you do them, you are panning with the animals to try and keep their bodies sharp while their legs are all blurred showing the motion. This is a special case because you had two animals running towards each other so your camera would be stationary. I don't think any of us would have the guts to try this on purpose with a once-in-a-lifetime shot like this. Because of that, you've really got something special here.

Here's a link to a recent shot in Africa taken of wildebeasts running at 1/13s. I'm not entirely happy with this, I think my shutterspeed was too low (to Taz's point). But it gets the point across. http://www.desertilluminations.com/Vacation/Africa/i-BKt2bjH/1/X2/FD3_9995-X2.jpg
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I saw k-dog do it, and I tried lowering my shutter to create these kind of shots.
    I think 1/150 or so might be the right one as with 1/100 I thought it was too blurry and soft but that probably also depends on how fast the subject is moving.
    This is the right idea though......more artsy that way!
    kdog wrote: »
    Cool! Yeah, I love these kind of shots and they're really hard to do. Usually when you do them, you are panning with the animals to try and keep their bodies sharp while their legs are all blurred showing the motion. This is a special case because you had two animals running towards each other so your camera would be stationary. I don't think any of us would have the guts to try this on purpose with a once-in-a-lifetime shot like this. Because of that, you've really got something special here.

Here's a link to a recent shot in Africa taken of wildebeasts running at 1/13s. I'm not entirely happy with this, I think my shutterspeed was too low (to Taz's point). But it gets the point across. http://www.desertilluminations.com/Vacation/Africa/i-BKt2bjH/1/X2/FD3_9995-X2.jpg

Thanks guys for the input. This was literally an accident as I wasn't paying attention, and was going for a much cleaner, albeit static shot.

Nice capture k-dog. You weren't by chance in Yellowstone last week were you. I passed a car with "k-dog" plates near the Madison River.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 8, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    You weren't by chance in Yellowstone last week were you. I passed a car with "k-dog" plates near the Madison River.

Phil
    That wasn't me this time, but grab those plates for me if you see them again. naughty.gif