Bulk-editing tool replacement now available for beta-testing

13»

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback, in version 0.4.0.5 it will now open in the same tab as the original gallery (this version will be available in the store after the approximately 30 minute auto-approval time)
    If you use the same tab I see no "cancel" on edit page. Browser back button seems the only way to get
    back to the gallery even after "save".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2014
    Originally Posted by ChancyRat View Post
    Did you remove the text-editing function? I could have sworn I was using one, same as legacy.
    I got quite confused about what I was seeing in the results of the beta test today, as a result.
    Text editing where? I just edited a caption and KW.

Never mind, sorry about that. I meant as an option in the dropdown list for keywords. But text edits are still there. I don't know why I was confused...
    edited June 4, 2014
    I see you are using my newly cropped thumbnails, great. The addition of the large hover image
    is really needed along with the new thumbs. They work great together now as I can see all what's
    in the photo.

I was also able to return some photos back to original ratios from my default square, lost in NewSmug.
    Working in this gallery.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/2014-Birding/Birding-2014-June/2014-06-02-Southern-Missouri
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    If you use the same tab I see no "cancel" on edit page. Browser back button seems the only way to get
    back to the gallery even after "save".

Hm odd, isn't there a "Back to gallery" button at the top right?
    edited June 4, 2014
    Hm odd, isn't there a "Back to gallery" button at the top right?
    In the bulk KW crop tool there is but only save button on capt/kw/title page. Hitting save does not close page.
    edited June 4, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    In the bulk KW crop tool there is but only save button on capt/kw/title page. Hitting save does not close page.

Ah right, the bulk keyword editing tool rather than the bulk thumbnail crop tool? The keyword editing tool still opens in a new tab, so you would need to close that tab to return to the gallery.

I can change the keyword editing tool to open in the same tab as the original gallery, but I'll need to find a spot on the UI to add a "return to gallery" button in.
    edited June 4, 2014
    Ah right, the bulk keyword editing tool rather than the bulk thumbnail crop tool? The keyword editing tool still opens in a new tab, so you would need to close that tab to return to the gallery.

I can change the keyword editing tool to open in the same tab as the original gallery, but I'll need to find a spot on the UI to add a "return to gallery" button in.
    It's find like it is. Just need to learn how it works which is not hard. Might be best this way as the
    gallery is available in other tab to quickly look at.

save > other tab > refresh > see results
    edited June 4, 2014
    Actually, you can pretty much do whatever you like. The simplest method is just to end every keyword you enter with a semicolon:

Code:
    hello;
    Or:

Code:
    testing this; thing out;
    This way, your keywords are completely unambiguous, even if you type one more semicolon than you really needed to. But you can also do any of these, and get precisely the same result after saving:

Code:
    "testing this" "thing out"
    testing this; thing out
    testing this, thing out
    "testing this", "thing out"
    "testing this"; "thing out"
    """"testing this,,;;"; ",,;thing out;;,"

I think something is wrong, with SM's keyword programming.
    The behavior of adding quotes to a first mwkw was not happening when I tested your program a few days ago.

And, just now, in the gallery, with one mwkw that in your tool shows as containing double quotes, I click to edit the keyword (in the gallery itself), the keyword shows with doublequotes. I don't touch it, but add one more dwkw that I end with a semi (no quotes). Result is that the ending quote on the first mwkw is deleted, and the 2nd mwkw is now folded into the first, with a double quote added to the end I have one mwkw.

One more test: in the gallery, the first mwkw with quotes, I added a semi after that and then another mwkw ending in a semi, and the edits save properly.

When I did maybe 100 mwkw additions using your tool a few days ago, double quotes were not inserted, and, no capitalization of the first mwkw, and, no collapsing of two mwkws based on quote behavior.

EDITED to add image. In the gallery, "all videos of rats" is supposed to be a keyword. This is what I see when I open what I saved, that that mwkw was subsumed into the first, with a double quote added at the end. (I didn't add the doublequote.)

I haven't followed this issue because I'm not editing thumbnails, but I would rather the keyword tool open in another tab. It's critical actually, because you can apply edits, then go back to the tab with the gallery itself, click refresh, and see the results. Back and forth tab to tab - great behavior.

Oh, WHEW, I see Allen had the same idea.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2014
    I've updated the version of the Beta in the Chrome store
    thumb.gif
    edited June 4, 2014
    Chancy, which editors are you using through that process? It sounded like at one point you clicked on a keyword's block in SM's new editor and tried to type an additional keyword onto the end of that? I'm pretty sure they don't intend that to ever happen (that would be attempting to create one single keyword that had some separators inside it, which isn't permitted). Use SM's new editor's "add new keyword" field to add new keywords instead.
    edited June 5, 2014
    Chancy, which editors are you using through that process? It sounded like at one point you clicked on a keyword's block in SM's new editor and tried to type an additional keyword onto the end of that? I'm pretty sure they don't intend that to ever happen (that would be attempting to create one single keyword that had some separators inside it, which isn't permitted). Use SM's new editor's "add new keyword" field to add new keywords instead.

Your editor.
    And then on the gallery itself, so I could compare the results.
    edited June 5, 2014
    Can you post a steps to reproduce with the actual text from the fields for each step?
    edited June 5, 2014
    Can you post a steps to reproduce with the actual text from the fields for each step?

Open gallery via your tool.
    In my gallery I have no keywords.
    Add keyword:
    Type: gallery pemy and dicey
    Apply edit.
    Result: keyword is "pemy and dicey"
    If you use initial caps, they stick on saving.

These two that I wrote yesterday:
    - Removed the double quotes as a test (using your replace function) on my (one and only) mwkw, and then added a semi at the end of the string (using your replace function). On SAVE, double quotes were inserted. In the gallery, the mwkw is correctly only one kw, AND, it has the leading caps.

- Additional test, with no keywords at all, added one mwkw with a semi at the end (no quotes). Result: double quotes added but the semi was not replaced. Makes the keyword contain a semi.

The first behavior is still present.
    The 2nd behavior "additional test" is no longer happening.

I guess what behavior we see in your tool, will be dependent on the tweaks SM is making, of which there are many ongoing. Not the least of which is that they have to be trying to figure out the initial caps on the first keyword.
    edited June 5, 2014
    Okay great, sounds like there is currently no malfunction then. Note that all caps are preserved, not just initial ones:

zl2fT07m.png
    edited June 5, 2014
    And, just now, in the gallery, with one mwkw that in your tool shows as containing double quotes, I click to edit the keyword (in the gallery itself), the keyword shows with doublequotes. I don't touch it, but add one more dwkw that I end with a semi (no quotes). Result is that the ending quote on the first mwkw is deleted, and the 2nd mwkw is now folded into the first, with a double quote added to the end I have one mwkw.

This behavior is still current.
    In a gallery:
    Click a keyword that contains only one mwkw (added via your tool, where double quotes were inserted).
    I see the mwkw has double-quotes
    Add a new mwkw, no quotes, end with a semi.
    On save, the two mwkws are combined into one, with doublequotes.
    The semi is gone.

EDIT to add:

Click to correct the above. I put the end quote where it belonged for the first keyword, added a semi as well, added the 2nd mwkw (no quotes), ended with a semi.
    Result: two valid mwkws for the viewer.
    But if I click to edit them again, what I see is the two mwkws with no quotes at all, and separated by a semi.
    Now THAT is a convoluted set of behaviors.
    edited June 5, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    This behavior is still current.
    In a gallery:
    Click a keyword that contains only one mwkw (added via your tool, where double quotes were inserted).
    I see the mwkw has double-quotes
    Add a new mwkw, no quotes, end with a semi.
    On save, the two mwkws are combined into one, with doublequotes.
    The semi is gone.

EDIT to add:

Click to correct the above. I put the end quote where it belonged for the first keyword, added a semi as well, added the 2nd mwkw (no quotes), ended with a semi.
    Result: two valid mwkws for the viewer.
    But if I click to edit them again, what I see is the two mwkws with no quotes at all, and separated by a semi.
    Now THAT is a convoluted set of behaviors.

And - drum roll - I had for the fun of it used initial quotes on the 2nd keyword and they STUCK!
    edited June 5, 2014
    Really, caps on two keywords!
    edited June 5, 2014
    Oh my gosh someone else check this but it appears caps in keywords are now completely functional.
    edited June 7, 2014
    I've now updated the Beta to version 0.4.0.6, you can install it from the link in the first post, or if you've already installed the Beta, you can update it by going to Chrome's extensions page, ticking the "developer mode" tickbox, and clicking "update extensions now".

New in this version:
    - Now the default thumbnail size is "normal", with 100px thumbs. Also available is large (150px) and small (50px).
    - Considerable performance improvements for large galleries, particularly when changing thumbnail size (tested up to 1,000 images).
    - Thumbnails are now only loaded when they are on the screen, so you don't have to wait an age for the page to load
    - Fixed a problem where if the page was open too long, every save would fail (it will now fix itself when you retry the save). Also will let you know if you're not logged in when you save.

Also a handful of other fixes, but nothing that should impact the "make bulk edits" tool.

I only have a couple of small things to fix before this can be the final release!

(One thing still to fix is that if you load a gallery on SmugMug, then log out of your account on another tab, then open the bulk editor on the original tab, the bulk editor won't notice that you're logged out. If the gallery has the display of keywords disabled, the editor will silently show all empty boxes for the keywords. Although to save those as empty and overwrite your original keywords, you'd need to log back in to your account on another tab, then make edits to the keyword boxes so they got marked as needing to be saved, then click the save button, so it's not a super likely situation.)
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2014
    Anyone here member the OLD SM bulk thumbnail hack where all your thumbs could be adjusted on one screen? I'd love to see that feature brought back by someone. bowdown.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2014
    I only have a couple of small things to fix before this can be the final release!
    Your blood's worth bottling! thumb.gif
    edited May 28, 2015
    In the past and lately I've seen requests for saving the file_names, titles, captions and keywords of a gallery.
    On the Chrome bulk edit caption/keyword page is there anyway to copy/extract the file_names, titles, captions
    and keywords and place into a CSV/Excel file?