Zenfolio vs Smugmug- which is better?

Comments

• tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 28, 2011
    Andy I think it would be easier to keep the people updated - it would made easier especially for businesses who wants to plan - I am starting a wedding business and still have both accounts Smugmug and Zenfolio but I will not pay for both. Do you need some help with the lab here? Maybe we can help with something - we live here! How can we speed up the process??
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Andy I think it would be easier to keep the people updated - it would made easier especially for businesses who wants to plan - I am starting a wedding business and still have both accounts Smugmug and Zenfolio but I will not pay for both. Do you need some help with the lab here? Maybe we can help with something - we live here! How can we speed up the process??

Thanks for the offer :D We don't need any help right now, and we do understand that we're trying everyone's patience..... thanks!
    edited November 28, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer :D We don't need any help right now, and we do understand that we're trying everyone's patience..... thanks!

I know we are separated by the big water - but we do not bite - we can help you know :)? If there is something in the future - give us a shout!

Tom
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    I just renewed my smugmug account. I'm crossing my fingers that it wasn't a mistake and that I'll be still waiting for an Australian lab and AU pricing in a years time. I appreciate that you guys are working on it and I'm sure its tied up with the new revamp thats in the works. I just hope its not another years wait. once you have an estimate on timeframe it would prevent people from jumping ship. I understand you don't want to state a date and end up not meeting it but we'll understand its just an estimate.
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Andy wrote:
    We care immensely about you and all our customers.

I don't buy it anymore. You're sounding more and more like a corporate shill. I say that with all due respect, many fond memories, and a slightly broken heart.
    Andy wrote:
    But we won't divulge info about stuff in progress, I'm sorry.

This is simply untrue. You currently have two alpha previews running where you're showing stuff in progress. What you should be saying is that you won't commit to release dates, or even release windows. If you want to be Apple, be Apple. If you want to be Microsoft, be Microsoft. Just choose, the mix is really unappealing.

Malte
  • SqueezerSqueezer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Light_prod wrote: »
    I just renewed my smugmug account. I'm crossing my fingers that it wasn't a mistake and that I'll be still waiting for an Australian lab and AU pricing in a years time.

Hate to dissapoint you, but it's been in the request queue for years and years and whilst we get hints that it may be forthcoming it is safer to assume it will never come and if it ever does I will once again promote and praise Smugmug but for now this one issue really dampens my enthusiasm and I make sure I point out this critical flaw and point people in the direction of Zenfolio instead or Photomerchant

Ive given up on trying to sell any prints via Smugmug. I've had to resort to just digital downloads and even then people dont like paying in USD. With prints I just get them to deal direct with me which in one way is good as I get the whole amount of income with no cut going to smugmug, but for the life of me I still fail to understand the issue with it's implementation.

Typical email from a potential client reads like this ( Cut and pasted ) <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-AU</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} </style> <![endif]--> " I was surprised to see that it may take up to 3 weeks for my photo to arrive as it is coming from the US? Is this the case or will I get it quicker given you are Adelaide based, as am I "
    edited November 29, 2011
    Malte wrote: »
    I don't buy it anymore. You're sounding more and more like a corporate shill. I say that with all due respect, many fond memories, and a slightly broken heart.

This is simply untrue. You currently have two alpha previews running where you're showing stuff in progress. What you should be saying is that you won't commit to release dates, or even release windows. If you want to be Apple, be Apple. If you want to be Microsoft, be Microsoft. Just choose, the mix is really unappealing.

Malte

Yup, you're right. We have put some things out in our /Darkroom, as betas, even an alpha. But for this particular product offering, we can't. I so wish I had another answer for you, and so very much wish that I haven't disappointed you :(
    edited November 29, 2011
    Squeezer wrote: »
    it is safer to assume it will never come

Definitely not true :) Can't promise an AU lab, but we will have a better offering for non US customers deal.gif
  • Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    I enjoy my smugmug, (copy paste as of today) I even give cd/dvd to clients and still retain them with low profits for our preferred clients!

Avg. Items/Order:
    Unpaid Profit (est.):
    $892.47
    Paid Profit (est.):
    $13,647.64
    Avg. Profit/Order:
    $28.29
    Total Profit (est.):
    $14,540.11

Back to the answer, I didn't try zenfolio, but I didn't like the layout over that way so this is where ive been!. I know its not the record breaking but its made me a bit happier!
    edited November 29, 2011
    Andy,

If I was to drop to a lower account type, will I be refunded the difference in cost? My clients are not willing to pay the postage costs involved with shipping from the US so even if international currencies and self fulfilment is implemented it won't make a difference to me. Since AU labs isn't on the cards right now I see no point in continuing with a pro account if any.
    For now perhaps using another site like photomerchant for my client galleries would suit me better.
    I know that there are a few great quality labs here in oz that would want to come onboard with smugmug to offer something to the southern hemisphere smuggers.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Andy,

If I was to drop to a lower account type, will I be refunded the difference in cost? My clients are not willing to pay the postage costs involved with shipping from the US so even if international currencies and self fulfilment is implemented it won't make a difference to me. Since AU labs isn't on the cards right now I see no point in continuing with a pro account if any.
    For now perhaps using another site like photomerchant for my client galleries would suit me better.
    I know that there are a few great quality labs here in oz that would want to come onboard with smugmug to offer something to the southern hemisphere smuggers.

Lara, as we all know Aus services of this type cost many times those of US services, and the gap is not closed by shipping costs from the US.

Or, for local Aus business, I recommend getting a deal with a print lab (I use a private business in Hobart which is very reasonable cost, and extremely high quality - does all the printing for the Photography faculty at UTAS SOA), and then "self fulfill" through your hosting site.

Neil

PS I am with Zenfolio (ex SMPro)
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited November 29, 2011
    yeah I'm trying to avoid the self fulfill route. As far shipping, I understand it doesn't close the gap but from what the clients sees, it feels expensive. Spending time picking items in a cart with a budget in mind then getting the end to see it rise that much is too much of a shock to them. Its a perception thing. Even if I raised the cost of the prints and the shipping was lower, I'd still sell more than if it were the other way around (if that makes sense?).

Either way, I'm going to move elsewhere for printing and most prob my website in general.
  • Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    I wonder if the pro's can do something where you can balance the perception out on the aussi side. This way say if you have a 10.00 print, portion of that will cover shipping (and shipping is free) for the lowest shipping and its balanced within the print sales. Maybe thats an option to hide the shipping cost. I definitely know about perception on where people will spend money.
    edited November 29, 2011
    Yes, I think you have to look at the bottom line ie gross profit to you and gross cost to customer. Hosting and printing with Aus companies is many times more expensive than with US, so that cost will significantly impact on your gross profit. You would have to pass that on to the customer which will obviously impact their gross cost. So, with a far cheaper US hosting-printing service plus US shipping costs that are not greatly different from Aus (for parcel, insured and fast), your overhead is reduced and thus your gross profit protected, which to the customer means cheaper gross cost.

Against that, and for self-fulfill, is that you have much more control over product quality, and more options to you and the customer. I have used host-contracted US labs and have always been disappointed compared to what my local printer can provide. For snaps it's irrelevant, but for keep-for-life once-in-a-lifetime material control of quality is critical. Your business future depends on it!

As far as the perception of the client is concerned, you use the lower overhead of the US host to pass on lower cost to the customer, and you woo the customer with unbeaten quality local product. The gross profit/cost is under control.

Once you have done that crucial arrangement with a local lab, there is no difference to you in terms of workload-involvement, and every difference to your and the customer's satisfaction with reliability, speed and quality, and ease of repeat print/reprint orders, where specific requirement are easily met.

Neil

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Yes, I think you have to look at the bottom line ie gross profit to you and gross cost to customer. Hosting and printing with Aus companies is many times more expensive than with US, so that cost will significantly impact on your gross profit. You would have to pass that on to the customer which will obviously impact their gross cost. So, with a far cheaper US hosting-printing service plus US shipping costs that are not greatly different from Aus (for parcel, insured and fast), your overhead is reduced and thus your gross profit protected, which to the customer means cheaper gross cost.

Against that, and for self-fulfill, is that you have much more control over product quality, and more options to you and the customer. I have used host-contracted US labs and have always been disappointed compared to what my local printer can provide. For snaps it's irrelevant, but for keep-for-life once-in-a-lifetime material control of quality is critical. Your business future depends on it!

As far as the perception of the client is concerned, you use the lower overhead of the US host to pass on lower cost to the customer, and you woo the customer with unbeaten quality local product. The gross profit/cost is under control.

Once you have done that crucial arrangement with a local lab, there is no difference to you in terms of workload-involvement, and every difference to your and the customer's satisfaction with reliability, speed and quality, and ease of repeat print/reprint orders, where specific requirement are easily met.

Neil
    If the perception of high shipping costs to AU is a problem, you can also bake in a little higher margins into your prices and offer shipping discount coupons to try to deal with that perception issue.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited November 29, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    If the perception of high shipping costs to AU is a problem, you can also bake in a little higher margins into your prices and offer shipping discount coupons to try to deal with that perception issue.

Yes.

However, unless people are picking up orders personally from the photog, there will be shipping costs at the local end anyway, and these are expensive in Aus! It costs about the same as shipping from the US!

No need for fancy sleight-of-hand, maybe! The photog quotes $AU for printing and shipping on host site, whether the printing+shipping is from US or local. As I say the shipping difference will not be much, and the US host+printing service is so much cheaper for the photog!

Neil

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    You beat me to it. :D It might take some trial and error to get the right markup to cover a 'free shipping' coupon, but I bet this could work. Especially if the costs are that much more than here in the US.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited November 29, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    You beat me to it. :D It might take some trial and error to get the right markup to cover a 'free shipping' coupon, but I bet this could work. Especially if the costs are that much more than here in the US.

I think the issue is knowing how much people might order as its quantity based. In some cases shipping is more than the cost of what they are buying.
    edited November 29, 2011
    I think the issue is knowing how much people might order as its quantity based. In some cases shipping is more than the cost of what they are buying.

Applies to Aus, unless you do your own printing, and run a shopfront.

You can charge Aus customers more (in relation to US prices) because all Aus photogs *do* charge more! Pricing for everything here is inflated, and Sydney and Melbourne are now top most expensive cities in the world.

Neil

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Very true, and still an issue on this side of the pond as well. Even when some of my clients buy a couple of 4x6s, the shipping is almost as much as the order. This is hard to plan for.

I guess one strategy is to plan for the worst case scenario for free shipping--ie, the cheapest thing in you offer. Then from there you can figure out a price point at which you don't need so much of a markup, and have a second coupon for $xx off or xx% off if they spend $xx. This will bring the pricing back down to where you originally want it to be after the shipping costs are covered.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited November 29, 2011
    Eg, I had a PCB monolight shipped from Qld + AU$80 for shipping. Shipping cost from US would have been the same if I had been able to circumvent the local agent, which PCB does not allow! I would have got the light+shipping for at least 30% less buying from PCB US!

Neil

edited February 1, 2012
    organizer-lg.png

I wonder how many clicks it would take on SmugMug to get this overview and access to settings. Sometimes when I try to get something done on my site, I think of this admin UI and cry a little inside.

Malte
    edited February 1, 2012

I wonder how many clicks it would take on SmugMug to get this overview and access to settings. Sometimes when I try to get something done on my site, I think of this admin UI and cry a little inside.

Malte

You are right. The admin panel in smugmug is one of the worst ones. Streamline - does not exist in their vocabulary.
    edited February 1, 2012

Malte

Which is why this is something we hope to change. I can promise this isn't being ignored. Thanks so much for posting, Malte!
    edited February 25, 2012
    Has anyone tested Zenfolio's video service? On their video samples page the videos look smeared to me and I'm hoping it's "only" because you can't disable scaling.

Malte
    edited February 28, 2012
    I did, and it is very good.
    edited February 28, 2012
    Thanks for your reply, Tom!

The videos in this samples gallery look good on your end? To me they all look like butter on lens.

http://demo.zenfolio.com/p351404042#h33aeae1e

Do you still have a Zen site, could you share a link to video?

Malte
    edited February 28, 2012
    Thanks for your reply, Tom!

The videos in this samples gallery look good on your end? To me they all look like butter on lens.

http://demo.zenfolio.com/p351404042#h33aeae1e

Do you still have a Zen site, could you share a link to video?

Malte

Here is video taken with Canon 5d Mk 2 - I am not very good at video.
    p566763391-11.jpg

Click on the image above to see the video.
    edited March 4, 2012
    People today I have been on Focus on imaging and today SmugMug has announced that they started cooperation with EU lab - starting from 23 March this year we all will be able to buy print in EU - the lab I am talking about is LOXLEY COLOUR - http://loxleycolour.com/. Great chat with Andy, Baldy and Ana. Thanks for your time and btw - AMAZING Stand!
  • sekarbsekarb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2012
    iPad app
    I'm a smugmug pro user but heard about zenfolio recently.
    I signed up on trial. I am kind of liking their iPad app way better than the buggy smugmug one.
    I have contacted smugmug and I don't get any straight answer if there is any development on that.
    If you are like me who wants to show photos on your iPad, zen may be worth checking out.