Babies: Birds, birds, birds,

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 20, 2005 in Wildlife
I went to Magnolia Gardens today to check on my birds, particularly the one nest that has had babies in it. There were babies all over. Egrets, Herons, Alhingas, Wood ducks...........babies, babies.

I had take with me the 2Xs extender that Rutt loaned me. This time I knew what to expect, such as manual focusing, no IS, etc. I stacked it with my 1 1/4. Now I LOVE those extenders, both together. Perfect for a situation like this. I started out, as usual, only my extender on. Half way through my CF cards, I stacked the extenders, on my 300. I looked through the lens, saw bird's legs and babies. I do not show those here because there was an unfortunate twig blocking a babies face in an unsightly manner.

These are just the announcements of the birth. I have out of town company coming tomorrow, hope to get back to working on these photos.......soon.

It is just so exciting: the Egret, then the egg, now a population explosion out in the rookery. g
22551290-L.jpg

The above photo was taken with the extenders stacked. I used the monopod after awhile, for insurance. I don't think I used it here. Not sure. Full frame.

Below, taken with just the 1.4 extender, as usual

22567243-L.jpg

Finally, the one below this, it is taken with the extenders stacked. I have all the numbers here. I started with the ISO at 200, went to 400, finally, but not here, went to 1600 just before I left. The shutter speeds were reasonable and the f stop was f10.

That fuzzy looking stuff. Those are "demanding" baby egrets. All parents looked more than pleased.

22567242-L.jpg

g
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    #2 for me G, really like the way the light hits them, even makes um look pretty thumb.gif
    nice work, sounds like you really have to reach to bring them in :D
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    I will go along with Ben ,Ginger thumb.gifclap.gif very nice
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Thanks, both of you, Ben and Jeff.

#2 bothers me because it has too much on top. I am going to have to do something about that. I have about 10 shots of them together. That was amazing to me. I wish I had handled the fly in and out part better, as usual.

ginger (I was just flagging shots for tomorrow, or whenever I get a chance. I worked on a few, couldn't stand it)

thanks for coming by and commenting.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Excellent captures Ginger. I'm seeing some definite improvement in your wildlife shots. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Thanks, Harry, I am buying that extender from Rutt. It is perfect for we who are less than affluent. It is a specialty thing, but it was sure sweet yesterday.

That was a perfect situation. Babies all over, kind of like ugly puppies. But birders don't think they are uglyrolleyes1.gif . Beauty is in the eye of, etc.

I really loved your shot of the flying "beautiful" woodstork. They are so big, ugly and historic.

Yesterday was a very exciting day. I hope I get to work this stuff up. I have a photo of where a baby bird fell, back into the nest, but his wing is all red. I wanted you to see it, I worked it up, but I haven't posted it yet.

Have this darn company coming. Non photographers coming in the middle of baby bird season. And they will want to spend my photography money for food, too. Not for them, they will think I actually eat out: kind of like being with Andy, but I notice he does show an interest in photography and takes time to shoot.

Thanks for stopping and commenting, nice comment.

ginger