D700 or D800?

BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited March 5, 2012 in Cameras
Firstly, I'm not a pro; I'm a guy who has loved photograph since his teens (Canon A1 days...) and whose main focus is capturing his kids and experiences for posterity. I have a D700 and love it. I was ready to push 'start' on the D800, but had a 'WTF?' moment.

I have grown to LOVE and become addicted to the low-light capabilities and high fps of the 700 (with grip), as both have resulted in some amazing memories I would have otherwise maybe not have been able to capture. I've seen the high-ISO comparisons, which didn't move me (suspect at best), and what's with the reduction in fps?

Matthew Saville said in the 800 v. 800E thread
... So what we're ACTUALLY discussing now is, whether or not a hobbyist should be ALLOWED to feel that same "need" for FPS. We're arguing the difference between "need" and "want" here.

I think that's a pretty weak focus for a discussion, though I know nobody asked my opinion LOL. My point is, even hobbyists are allowed to have standards and "needs". Why not?

I'm that hobbyist. I like the fast fps, and use it often. It makes me better. Maybe 4fps would be enough - I don't know - but even then, at 36mp one would have to hard-wire the body to a 1TB hard drive to spend the day shooting jpg and nef, or carry an extra bag of $200 cards...

Though I would like the extra card slot, and I can see myself using the HD movie thing from time to time, I have just fallen in love all over again with my D700.

Brad

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    Yep. Stick with the D700. Honestly unless you're a pro landsccape shooter or an avid / pro videographer, the D800 is only here to prove just how awesome of a camera the D700 will continue to be. Forget video and the extra card slot. You can get an on-site backup device for $300, and you can shoot HD video on your iPhone. Like I said unless you're a pro, or truly obsessed with theses types of features, ...it's not worth it in my opinion. The D800 is just not OUR generation of camera. We have our ultimate camera already...

Do yourself a favor, and take that $3K and spend it on your family, or heck, a photo trip or just another lens. It will be WAY better for you than a D800. 8 FPS w/ grip + "compact" 12 megapixel files + flagship AF = WIN for 99.9% of hobbyists out there.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Agreed. And I see a 14-24 f2.8 in my future to keep the 24-70 and 70-200 company mwink.gif
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    BVardy wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm not a pro; I'm a guy who has loved photograph since his teens (Canon A1 days...) and whose main focus is capturing his kids and experiences for posterity. I have a D700 and love it. I was ready to push 'start' on the D800, but had a 'WTF?' moment.

Sounds like your D700 is delivering what you value, so you should keep using it. No reason to buy a new camera just because the manufacturer came out with a new model (and gave it a name implying it was the next in a series). If/when a new model comes along that offers features/strengths that you value you will be able to buy it without guilt since you didn't squander money chasing the newest gear all the time.

Everybody has different objectives, so there will be plenty of people ordering D800's (I did) - but that doesn't have any bearing on your objectives. Let them be happy that they are getting something shiny and new, and you can be a little sad for them that they haven't had a D700 all this time rolleyes1.gif
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Robin CasadyRobin Casady Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    BVardy wrote: »
    ...whose main focus is capturing his kids and experiences for posterity. I have a D700 and love it.

...I like the fast fps, and use it often.

Though I would like the extra card slot, and I can see myself using the HD movie thing from time to time, I have just fallen in love all over again with my D700.

Brad

Yup, stick with your D700. The D800 was not designed for your needs. It is for a different demographic. It is for us detail-obsessed landscape shooters, and meticulous studio shooters who like to print 16x24" and larger.

The D4 would fit your needs better than the D800. Perhaps in a year or so Nikon will introduce a smaller, lower priced camera with the D4 sensor.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Shot a fight with my "new to me" D700 friday. Gotta say, it is pretty awesome. Not as fast as my D3s. But, focus tracking worked very well and the noise levels were fantastic at ISO5000. For me 36MP would be ridiculous. I shot almost 6000 photos that night, and I had my girlfriend loading and sorting them for a press release by 11pm. I couldn't get them off of cards and viewing on my laptop fast enough. They would bog my system down to a crawl. Is the D4 in my future? Maybe????? But I need to see just how good it is before I leap.
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    I shot almost 6000 photos that night,
    eek7.gifbowdown.gifbow
    Holy crap Batman..
    Once I seen what the 800 was going to be I knew it was a no go. But after reading Hogan's site yesterday, it looks like they are going to keep cranking them out at least for a while. Plus they are not going to be MAP censored. B&H might be selling new ones for less than 2k eek7.gif.
    If that is true I might have to grab a second one headscratch.gif
    Gary
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Do yourself a favor, and take that $3K and spend it on your family, or heck, a photo trip or just another lens. It will be WAY better for you than a D800. 8 FPS w/ grip + "compact" 12 megapixel files + flagship AF = WIN for 99.9% of hobbyists out there.
    =Matt=

That's what I'm doing...I see a new Nikkor 85 f/1.8 G in my future around April, I hope.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    No reason to buy a new camera just because the manufacturer came out with a new model (and gave it a name implying it was the next in a series). rolleyes1.gif

YES... So, true. And these forums will infect you with NAS...Nikon Acquisition Syndrome...and whatever the Canon equivalent is...lol. It's hard not to get caught up in the buying frenzy.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • LightweaverLightweaver Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2012
    Personally I see the D800 as more of an alternative to medium format, then a replacement for the D700. It is really targeted to a different demographic where "detail" and very large presentation are the primary requirement. For that the D800 looks exquisite. But if you're getting what you want from the D700, keep building that system. Wouldn't surprise me to see a true D700 replacement down the road for less money and in the 16 to 20 mp range.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Personally I see the D800 as more of an alternative to medium format, then a replacement for the D700. It is really targeted to a different demographic where "detail" and very large presentation are the primary requirement. For that the D800 looks exquisite. But if you're getting what you want from the D700, keep building that system. Wouldn't surprise me to see a true D700 replacement down the road for less money and in the 16 to 20 mp range.

I think all the signs point to it. Especially for anyone who has seen the high ISO tests by the Canon 5D mk3, I think it is clear that Canon has fought back with a vengeance, they didn't like how Nikon stole their ISO crown for a generation, and they're kicking butt right now. I'll wait till the DXO test comes out but I'd put the 5D 3 at 1+ stops better than the current champ, the D3s. And it looks like, better than the D4 even. (But so far we don't have a truly fair comparison) ...Either way, I think Nikon is probably already fast at work coming up with an "s" version to the D4 sensor so they can keep up with Canon; it is just a question of whether Nikon will do the same thing they did with the D700 / D3s, or do a D700s type body...

I don't really care at this point, it's all gravy from the D700 forward. I just shot a wedding tonight for the first time in over a month, (down season) and after shooting with a 5D mk2 three times while my D700 was in for service, well, ...it was just such an awesome feeling letting my D700 nail focus in impossible light, over and over and over again. Sure I'd love to have cleaner ISO 6400+, and ~16 megapixels, but my career ABSOLUTELY does not depend on those things. Right now if I had money to spend, I'd be buying more DX gear for my personal hobby, not improving my FX work gear.

=Matt=
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    YES... So, true. And these forums will infect you with NAS...Nikon Acquisition Syndrome.
    ..so that is my problem headscratch.gif I knew there had to be a name for it mwink.gif
    I seem to have a similar issue with Motorcycles also..just got another one Fri. Told the salesman "damn that was D4 money"..rolleyes1.gif
    Gary
  • MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    I think this is it...
    At least until the next best thing comes out. mwink.gif

I think I am going to have to finally trade the D300 for this. I have not been building a decent collection of FX glass for nothing.

What really seems appealing about this camera, is that it will fit MY every proposed need. From starting a business, or going on vacation, this should have me covered. I can shoot most hobby/work stuff on normal resolution, until I see that "holly sh*t" shot that needs to be 36mp. I've never been a "video" guy, but I think the added capability will get put to good use.

Granted, I won't shoot full resolution all of the time, but when the time comes, I love the idea of switching to "Hubble Space Telescope mode" and getting that landscape. I am one of those people that does look at many of my pics enlarged on the monitor. I can really see using this feature.

I would just pre-order, but I want to hear some experiences first. I am spending a month in Europe this spring. I hope the camera ships before then. It would be a great shake down.
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
    edited March 5, 2012
    MLangton wrote: »
    At least until the next best thing comes out. mwink.gif

I think I am going to have to finally trade the D300 for this. I have not been building a decent collection of FX glass for nothing.

What really seems appealing about this camera, is that it will fit MY every proposed need. From starting a business, or going on vacation, this should have me covered. I can shoot most hobby/work stuff on normal resolution, until I see that "holly sh*t" shot that needs to be 36mp. I've never been a "video" guy, but I think the added capability will get put to good use.

Granted, I won't shoot full resolution all of the time, but when the time comes, I love the idea of switching to "Hubble Space Telescope mode" and getting that landscape. I am one of those people that does look at many of my pics enlarged on the monitor. I can really see using this feature.

I would just pre-order, but I want to hear some experiences first. I am spending a month in Europe this spring. I hope the camera ships before then. It would be a great shake down.

Keep in mind this philosophy only works if you're okay shooting JPG, or in a DX crop mode. There is no "sRAW1" on the D800.

You CAN however turn up the RAW compression, and turn down the bits from 14 to 12. Personally, I utilize all my separate shooting modes and separate them into categories with one being fully un-compressed 14-bit RAW, and one being fully compressed 12-bit RAW. A 12-bit compressed RAW file from the D800 will probably turn out to be 28-36 megabytes, which is ironically probably about the same filesize as the 5D mk3 will deliver in it's ONLY compression option, 14-bit lossless compressed.

=Matt=
  • MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Keep in mind this philosophy only works if you're okay shooting JPG, or in a DX crop mode. There is no "sRAW1" on the D800.

Thanks for the info. Actually... I do shoot 98% in jpeg as of now. Works for me so far. "So far" being the key phrase.

I can't wait to hear some reviews when this thing hits the street.
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com