Options

Untitled

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited October 31, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Okay, maybe this isn't worth a thread but the play on light in the glass and the lines here captured my eye.

DSC_1816-8-2-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    I like this Wayne... especially your conversion and the interplay of light, shadow, man-made, and natural texture.
    I'm a big fan of the hands as an isolated subject, and yes, it's a challenge to get a "just-right" composition - this one is almost there - I'd keep working this idea!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    I can see why you like it!

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    I like this Wayne... especially your conversion and the interplay of light, shadow, man-made, and natural texture.
    I'm a big fan of the hands as an isolated subject, and yes, it's a challenge to get a "just-right" composition - this one is almost there - I'd keep working this idea!

Eric, I have been hesitant to tackle this type of photography but I really love this style. I'll certainly follow your advice.
    Sam wrote: »
    I can see why you like it!

Sam

Sam, Thank you! bowdown.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    B&W is fine.....light is most important thing and it is fine......but for me there is some strange conflict......
    ....it seems some homeless person (I don't know.....but....) is eating in a bowl given to him at soup kitchen.....I feel that based on the bowl.....and grabbing it.....and then what is nice glass of wine doing next to it?
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    B&W is fine.....light is most important thing and it is fine......but for me there is some strange conflict......
    ....it seems some homeless person (I don't know.....but....) is eating in a bowl given to him at soup kitchen.....I feel that based on the bowl.....and grabbing it.....and then what is nice glass of wine doing next to it?

Taz, your thoughtful analysis and perspective are always helpful. Most appreciated! I love the story line you put together based on the picture! clap.gif
    Now I need to work on making the picture fit! Thank you!!!

• Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    What makes the picture for me is the dynamism of the reflection of light through the glass. Whatever is in that glass is alive. That's where the energy is. The hands bring it down to earth. --Carter
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    Earache wrote: »

Yup

Next time consider focus on near hand@ f5-8 to keep both hands in focus.

Here's a good case for a DX vs FX arguement
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    What makes the picture for me is the dynamism of the reflection of light through the glass. Whatever is in that glass is alive. That's where the energy is. The hands bring it down to earth. --Carter

Carter, thanks for the thoughtful reply. It was all about the glass. I have Coke in the glass BTW! :D
    torags wrote: »
    Yup

Next time consider focus on near hand@ f5-8 to keep both hands in focus.

Here's a good case for a DX vs FX arguement

Rags, you noticed the main disappointment I had with the shot. I was using a low f/stop for the DOF to be small, but I really did want the right hand to be in focus. Your advice is spot on. bowdown.gif