Options

Heaven Abandoned

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited November 8, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Courtesy of chasing fall colors - nice bonus to get these abandoned cabins near Lee Vining - CA.

All criticism and kind comments truly appreciated!

1)
1W7A0840-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A0856-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A0860-Edit-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A0880-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A0873-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A0890-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    Really nice set, Taz. Love the mood and seeing snow is a bonus. #1 is my fav and I like the light in #5.

I saw and shot these shacks in 2012 and it's amazing how much they have deteriorated since then!
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    I'm digging the contrasting tones of the blue gray sky and mountains, versus the warm earthy tones of the vegetation and shack, especially in #3.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    That's great subject.

These old abandoned bldgs are usually monotone

Well seen and well captured
    Rags
  • Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    Just another Million dollar fixer in California! Great images!
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    Wow! Stark juxtapositions here and the contrast of background vs subject is very well done.
    Did you plan for these to be slightly on the cool temp side? It sets off the mountains and sky very nicely. Well done! clap.gifclap
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited October 31, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Really nice set, Taz. Love the mood and seeing snow is a bonus. #1 is my fav and I like the light in #5.

I saw and shot these shacks in 2012 and it's amazing how much they have deteriorated since then!

Thanks Jo! I wish they were closer to me, then will try to get them all kind of seasons and moods! The snow and overcast sky prompted me to hang out there!!

CCoop wrote: »
    I'm digging the contrasting tones of the blue gray sky and mountains, versus the warm earthy tones of the vegetation and shack, especially in #3.

Thanks much Carter! I am glad you noticed the point. Even though I didn't think about it and it was unintentional, but once I read an article and a Star National Geographic photographer was talking about keeping skies cool and foreground warm!

torags wrote: »
    That's great subject.

These old abandoned bldgs are usually monotone

Well seen and well captured

Thanks kindly Rags! Yeah I wish I could find more of these. Ones that I do are always fenced in.

OrvSal wrote: »
    Just another Million dollar fixer in California! Great images!

Exactly!:D
    However, I think based on the location, you might be getting a bargain!
    Many Thanks!

Wow! Stark juxtapositions here and the contrast of background vs subject is very well done.
    Did you plan for these to be slightly on the cool temp side? It sets off the mountains and sky very nicely. Well done! clap.gifclap

Thanks Wayne!!bowdown.gif
    This is how the temp was and attracted me. Actually got lucky with conditions as I spent sunrise elsewhere but because of the over cast conditions, I could drive here and still take advantage of the light which normally would have been super harsh by the time I got there.

THANKS ALL! MY MORNING IS MADE!!bowdown.gifwings.gifivar
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    Terrific set, Taz. As you know, this kind of subject is high on my hunt list. I particularly like #s 3 and 5 for their dramatic skies.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2015
    Terrific set, Taz. As you know, this kind of subject is high on my hunt list. I particularly like #s 3 and 5 for their dramatic skies.

Take care,

Tom

Thanks Tom! Your barn work is an inspiration for me! This doesn't compare, but I keep looking as many of your shots are permanently burned in my memory!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    Great shots. I am particularly drawn to #4 because you can see the mountains through the window, adding to the feel of faded splendor. Nicely done.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2015
    You do get out and about!

More good solid images!

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Great shots. I am particularly drawn to #4 because you can see the mountains through the window, adding to the feel of faded splendor. Nicely done.

Thanks Cristobal! I noticed it after you pointed out.....cool!:D
    Sam wrote: »
    You do get out and about!

More good solid images!

Sam

Thanks Sam! This weekend is dedicated to laziness and drinking.....try to make time count.....
    If you want to go to beach today for sunset....I would be willing to change the plan above!
    Got a new-ish spot in mind where I haven't scored yet but it is loaded....near Half Moon Bay....
    Cheers!
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2015
    Wowser Taz... clap.gifclapclap.gif
    I'm beginning to think you have the Lighting Gods on retainer and speed-dial!!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2015
    Lovely set and location. thumb.gif

Would love to see some abstracted closeup shots and if possible Rust Junkie abstracts.

:D

Don

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    Wowser Taz... clap.gifclapclap.gif
    I'm beginning to think you have the Lighting Gods on retainer and speed-dial!!

Thanks Eric! Means much! No substitute for good light! Overcast with sun trying to breakthrough was nice!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2015
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Lovely set and location. thumb.gif

Would love to see some abstracted closeup shots and if possible Rust Junkie abstracts.

:D

Don

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Don! Figuring out rust potion is one of my stated goals!
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2015
    Taz, you have once again produced stunning images that make us feel as though we're right there. I can feel the chill in the air, the emptiness of the shack and surrounding grass desert. LOVE the contrast of the mountains and sky against the foreground images, and most certainly LOVE LOVE LOVE the drama in the sky on #'s 3 and 5.

Way to go man, knocked it outta the part here.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2015
    Taz, you have once again produced stunning images that make us feel as though we're right there. I can feel the chill in the air, the emptiness of the shack and surrounding grass desert. LOVE the contrast of the mountains and sky against the foreground images, and most certainly LOVE LOVE LOVE the drama in the sky on #'s 3 and 5.

Way to go man, knocked it outta the part here.

Thanks JBR! Can't say that enough! Lets see more shots of Maui!!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited November 2, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks much Carter! I am glad you noticed the point. Even though I didn't think about it and it was unintentional, but once I read an article and a Star National Geographic photographer was talking about keeping skies cool and foreground warm!

Worked wonders here. Splendid set. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Worked wonders here. Splendid set. clap.gif

Thanks Richard! My day is made! Cheers!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2015
    Fine work! Numbers 1 and 5 work best for me, but what matters is what works best for you.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2015
    Thanks Don!! Your feedback works for me wonderfully! Appreciate it very much!
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2015
    Hi, very difficult to pick a favourite, but I really like #3. Great set of shots clap.gif.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2015
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi, very difficult to pick a favourite, but I really like #3. Great set of shots clap.gif.

Cheers, Richard.

Great to hear from you Richard! Appreciate the kind comment! Cheers!
  • Options
    Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2015
    Hi Folks. After lurking for a while, I decided I had to jump in when I saw these great pics of a place I love. Nice work Stumblebum! I've been shooting for few years and have been trying to learn everything I can to improve. These cabins were my first subject when I got my first nice lens a couple of years ago. My photo doesn't compare to Stumblebum's but since it was the impetus for joining the forum I decided to post it. I'm aware this is a bit lame but I feel I've grown enough since I took this that I can risk putting it up. I like to believe I would do a better job shooting the same subject today, but comments are still welcome. I'll post some more recent stuff on a new thread and will welcome comments and criticisms. The folks who post here seem really astute. I look forward to learning more. Cheers! Bryan
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2015
    Bryan, your shot is fantastic! Very rustic! Kind of what people love and expect! Hang that one proudly somewhere! Awesome that you shared it!!
  • Options
    Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2015
    Thanks for the encouragement, Taz. You made some wonderful compositions of the cabins, which makes me think you had the courage to climb the fence and get close to the buildings. I wimped out and shot over the barbed wire with a long lens. To me the compression of the scene is less pleasing than what you captured. Since you're familiar with the area, you've probably shot at nearby Mono Lake. I got a couple of nice shots of Mono the same day I shot the cabin. Nearly froze my butt off on that snowless January day. I'll post a pic separately so as not to hijack this thread more than I already have.

Thanks again for the encouragement.
    Bryan
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2015
    Eldon Shea wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement, Taz. You made some wonderful compositions of the cabins, which makes me think you had the courage to climb the fence and get close to the buildings. I wimped out and shot over the barbed wire with a long lens. To me the compression of the scene is less pleasing than what you captured. Since you're familiar with the area, you've probably shot at nearby Mono Lake. I got a couple of nice shots of Mono the same day I shot the cabin. Nearly froze my butt off on that snowless January day. I'll post a pic separately so as not to hijack this thread more than I already have.

Thanks again for the encouragement.
    Bryan

Yeah, had to crawl under the fence :D