Options

P-51 c

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited December 29, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
I never miss a chance to view any of the WWII warbirds campaigned by Florida's Collins Foundation....particularly this magnificent Mustang P-51 C. The " B " and " C " models of the Mustang were virtually the same aircraft, but made in different plants. The " D " model with the bubble canopy came later in production. Interestingly, the " B " and " C " models were slightly faster than the following " D " models because of better aerodynamics in the cockpit area, as well as a slight difference in wing design. The bubble cockpit, though, was a big advantage in providing for increased scope of vision for the pilot...the key to staying alive in combat.

P-51C%20005-X2.jpg

P-51C%20010-X2.jpg

P-51C%20142-X2.jpg

P-51C%20141-X2.jpg

P-51C%20145-X2.jpg

P-51C%20187-X2.jpg

P-51C%20156-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2015
    Beautiful shots. I really like the last one! ...wonder if the pilots from WWII had any inkling that we would be awed by these planes today and inspired by the people who flew them and kept them flying!?
    Can you imagine the roller coaster of emotions that occurred in those cockpits?

Thanks for posting!

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited December 27, 2015
    Beautiful shots. I really like the last one! ...wonder if the pilots from WWII had any inkling that we would be awed by these planes today and inspired by the people who flew them and kept them flying!?
    Can you imagine the roller coaster of emotions that occurred in those cockpits?

Thanks for posting!

Wayne

Thanks for the look-see, Wayne. I can't attest to whatever the rigors of combat might have added to the emotion level those pilots might have felt. I can tell you from experience, though, that the visceral assault on the senses from flying in a P-51 is far greater than anything else I've had in an aircraft....whether I was the pilot or passenger. I have a friend here in Jacksonville who owns a truly stunning P-51, the award-winning " Sizzlin' Liz ".

Stay safe my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2015
    Like the last one best Tom! Cheers!
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2015
    Love these! I prefer the ones without the hangar background-- my imagination soars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2015
    The last is beautiful ... Romantic.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Like the last one best Tom! Cheers!

Thanks, Taz.

Tom
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    Love these! I prefer the ones without the hangar background-- my imagination soars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you. I'm subject to the same soaring imagination. There's nothing like the ripping sound of a Merlin engine for stirring the soul.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2015
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    The last is beautiful ... Romantic.

I never would have thought romantic....but, yes, I can see a touch of that in this shot. I see a plane longing to get into its element.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2015
    Wonderful images of a beautiful airplane, Tom! I had the opportunity to see and photograph her last year when they stopped in to Hickory, NC overnight. And since I know you enjoy the history behind these things, this P-51 wears the markings of Charles "Sandy" McCorkle, a WWII P-51 ace who was born in Newton, NC - just down the road from Hickory. The plane carries the names of his wife and daughter.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2015
    moose135 wrote: »
    Wonderful images of a beautiful airplane, Tom! I had the opportunity to see and photograph her last year when they stopped in to Hickory, NC overnight. And since I know you enjoy the history behind these things, this P-51 wears the markings of Charles "Sandy" McCorkle, a WWII P-51 ace who was born in Newton, NC - just down the road from Hickory. The plane carries the names of his wife and daughter.

If these shots satisfy your accomplished eye, John, I could hardly wish for more. I really appreciate the enlightening background info you share about the pilot to whom the restoration was dedicated. I would assume that McCorkle fought in the Italian/Mediterranean theatre as the plane carries some markings ( broad yellow bands ) that indicate such was the case.

It's really great to hear from you. Happy New Year.

Tom