Your go-to for portraits?

melody1melody1 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited November 4, 2015 in Cameras
Hello everyone! I'm returning from a several-year hiatus from the forum and couldn't seem to access my old account, so bear with me as I learn my way around again.

I've been hired to do a portrait shoot for a friend and her horse, and portraits are not my specialty. It's a very personal, sentimental, and emotional situation, and it's even more more important than usual that I nail this. I'm considering renting some glass for the trip and looking for advice. I'm very comfortable with my Canon 85 prime 1.8 (which I'm leaning toward as the best of my collection) and my usual work lens is a 70-200 2.8. I have an old beater 75-300 with no bells and whistles and a couple of others in that category, and they go on my 7D. I'll likely be doing some work in a barn with limited space and low/natural light, as well as some outdoors. I'm flying with carry on luggage only, so not planning to travel with any extensive light setups. I want something fairly user friendly if I do rent, so something that will feel somewhat like what I'm used to using. Nothing off the wall that I'll need a year and a college course to figure out how to use.

Recommendations? Advice? Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2015
    Your Canon 85/1.8 and 70-200/2.8 are fine choices. If you think you'll need something wider in the barn, rent a 17-55/2.8 if you don't have one. Don't bother bringing the 70-300.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • melody1melody1 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2015
    Many thanks, your input is much appreciated. I love my prime lens and expect to have no trouble with it, but I'll look into the 17-55 as a plan B should I need it. The pressure is on for this particular shoot, and I do NOT want to screw up!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2015
    Without knowing the physical constraints of the barn, it's impossible to give you much advice. Will you have to shoot wider than your 70mm? If so, you're in trouble with your present line up. If not, your 70-200mm should be perfect. I love that lens for portraits.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2015
    The suggestions so far have been good, I'd also look at getting the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 since it can be dark in the barn, that and a 50 prime along with your 85/70-200 and you'll have all your bases covered.

Additional thoughts: Will you be shooting her riding at all? Because that's a whole other ballgame in how you shoot.
    edited July 31, 2015
    Thank you, gentlemen. Part of the challenge is that I don't know what sort of spatial constraints I'll encounter, so I'm thinking I will rent something a bit wider thank what I have, just in case. No riding. That's my usual subject matter, wouldn't have any concerns if that what this entailed!
    edited August 26, 2015
    I'm pleased to report that the shoot was a success! The rental service I use wasn't able to provide what I was hoping for with short notice, so I ended up shooting everything with the 70-200. Despite my sore wrist after almost 9 hours of shooting, I wouldn't have changed a thing as far as equipment. I had limited time to work on the plane this morning before the MacBook died, but here's a quick sample. I'll wait until my client/friend has them all to share anything else, I think.

I'm definitely open to CC before I process the whole bunch. They're looking a little bland on my new monitor compared with the two screens I usually work from... Feedback is welcome.

i-ftKBJ42-XL.jpg

i-rbtCpjn-XL.jpg
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2015
    melody1 wrote: »
    I'm pleased to report that the shoot was a success! The rental service I use wasn't able to provide what I was hoping for with short notice, so I ended up shooting everything with the 70-200. Despite my sore wrist after almost 9 hours of shooting, I wouldn't have changed a thing as far as equipment. I had limited time to work on the plane this morning before the MacBook died, but here's a quick sample. I'll wait until my client/friend has them all to share anything else, I think.

I'm definitely open to CC before I process the whole bunch. They're looking a little bland on my new monitor compared with the two screens I usually work from... Feedback is welcome.

G]

looks good to me. I prefer primes for portraits but the 70-200 2.8 works great
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2015
    I've used 85 1.4 and 105 2.0DC. I prefer the 105. 70-200 was good too, but still prefer the 105

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • photoman0123photoman0123 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2015
    Well done
    For the unknown you were dealing with, you did very well! I was late to this thread so I didn't chime in on what I thought might be your biggest issue, dealing with a very shallow DoF in the darkened environment. As always, capturing sharp eyes on multiple plains is a dichotomy.

Glad you were able to capture such an emotional event!

V/R

David
    Aspect Photography

www.aspect-photo.com
    http://aspect-photo.blogspot.com/