5D Mark III has arrived.

TacmedicTacmedic Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited April 2, 2012 in Cameras
Here it is...
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/talkingtech/story/2012-03-02/canon-5d-mark-III/53323596/1
:clap

Received from dpreview.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark III – Key features:

22.3 Megapixel full-frame sensor
61-point autofocus
Up to 6fps continuous shooting
Native ISO 100-25,600 sensitivity
Full HD video with manual control
14-bit DIGIC 5+ processor
Enhanced Weather sealing
8.11cm (3.2-inch) 1,040,000-dot screen
HDR mode with presets
Canon EOS 5D Mark III specifications

Price
MSRP Body only: $3499, €3299, £2999 with 24-105mm: $4299
Body type
Body type Mid-size SLR
Body material Magnesium alloy
Sensor
Max resolution 5760 x 3840
Other resolutions 3840 x 2560, 2880 x 1920, 1920 x 1280, 720 x 480
Image ratio w:h 3:2
Effective pixels 22.3 megapixels
Sensor photo detectors 23.4 megapixels
Sensor size Full frame (36 x 24 mm)
Sensor type CMOS
Processor Digic 5+
Color space sRGB,Adobe RGB
Color filter array RGB Color Filter Array
ISO Auto, 100 - 25600 in 1/3 stops, plus 50, 51200, 102400 as option
White balance presets 6
Custom white balance Yes (1)
Image stabilization No
Uncompressed format RAW
JPEG quality levels Fine, Normal
File format
JPEG (Exif 2.3 [Exif Print] compliant)
Design rule for Camera File system (2.0)
RAW: RAW, sRAW1, sRAW2 (14bit, Canon original RAW 2nd edition)
Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1 compliant
Optics & Focus
Autofocus
Contrast Detect (sensor)
Phase Detect
Multi-area
Selective single-point
Single
Continuous
Face Detection
Live View
Autofocus assist lamp by optional dedicated Speedlite
Digital zoom No
Manual focus Yes
Number of focus points 61
Lens mount Canon EF mount
Focal length multiplier 1×
Screen / viewfinder
Articulated LCD Fixed
Screen size 3.2"
Screen dots 1,040,000
Touch screen No
Screen type Clear View II TFT LCD
Live view Yes
Viewfinder type Optical (pentaprism)
Viewfinder coverage 100 %
Viewfinder magnification 0.71×
Photography features
Minimum shutter speed 30 sec
Maximum shutter speed 1/8000 sec
Exposure modes
Auto+
Program AE
Shutter priority AE
Aperture priority AE
Manual (Stills and Movie)
Custom (x3)
Built-in flash No
External flash Yes (Hot-shoe, Wireless plus Sync connector)
Continuous drive Yes (6 fps)
Self-timer Yes (2 or 10 sec)
Metering modes
Multi
Center-weighted
Spot
Partial
Exposure compensation ±5 EV (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
AE Bracketing ±3 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
WB Bracketing Yes (3 frames in either blue/amber or magenta/green axis)
Videography features
Format
H.264
Microphone Mono
Speaker Mono
Resolutions 1920 x 1080 (29.97, 25, 23.976 fps fps), 1280 x 720 (59.94, 50 fps), 640 x 480 (25, 30 fps)
Videography notes 1080 and 720 intra or inter frame, 480 inter frame
Storage
Storage types Compact Flash Type I (UDMA compatible), SD/SDHC/SDXC
Storage included None
Connectivity
USB USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)
HDMI Yes (HDMI mini)
Wireless Optional
Remote control Yes (Remote control with N3 type contact, Wireless Controller LC-5, Remote Controller RC-6)
Physical
Environmentally sealed Yes
Battery Battery Pack
Battery description Lithium-Ion LP-E6 rechargeable battery & charger
Battery Life (CIPA) 950
Weight (inc. batteries) 950 g (2.09 lb / 33.51 oz)
Dimensions 152 x 116 x 76 mm (5.98 x 4.57 x 2.99")
Other features
Orientation sensor Yes
Timelapse recording Yes (by cable and PC)
GPS None

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Welcome to flagship trickle-down, Canon shooters! You'll love it...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Great camera but I prefer the Nikon's
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Man, it's even better than I secretly hoped for...wings.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • penduboypenduboy Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2012
    priced really high.....compared to Nikon d800
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited March 2, 2012
    I'm confused What is this 5D thing? A new camera or something? ne_nau.gif

:hide

The 5DII initially was $3,299 as I recall, and not too long after that the street price dropped to about $2,700. Lets hope for a repeat. I'm not usually an early adopter, so I'll wait it out a bit until my wife is out of town for a week and hope she doesn't see it being delivered or billed. And there's the almost twice yearly instant rebate and bundled price with a lens or accessory of choice. We've seen savings up to $500 alone with those offers.

I like what I see, and it will be a huge upgrade from my 20D/40D kit. Can't wait for the full review at DPR.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    The 5DII initially was $3,299 as I recall, and not too long after that the street price dropped to about $2,700. Lets hope for a repeat. I'm not usually an early adopter, so I'll wait it out a bit until my wife is out of town for a week and hope she doesn't see it being delivered or billed. And there's the almost twice yearly instant rebate and bundled price with a lens or accessory of choice. We've seen savings up to $500 alone with those offers.

I like what I see, and it will be a huge upgrade from my 20D/40D kit. Can't wait for the full review at DPR.

The 5D mk1 was the one that came out at $3300, the 5D mk2 MSRP'd at $2700 right off the bat if I recall.

I think they're priced appropriately based on, if anything, the previous standards that each camera maker has set up for themselves. The 5D mk3 is so much more than $2700 MSRP because it adds so many new features over the 5D mk2 and it really is a significant step away from "prosumer" and in the direction of "semi-pro". The Nikon D800 is the same $3K because it adds not much other than video and megapixels, heck when Canon went from the 5D mk1 to the 5D mk2, (video and megapixels) they went DOWN in the MSRP!

It may seem, depending on your needs, that the 5D mk3 or the D800 is a MUCH better choice. But in reality, Canon and Nikon simply have yet to play their full hand for this generation. Canon has it's megapixel monster still on the workbench, and Nikon is still figuring out how to make an "affordable D4" and still maximize profits.

=Matt=
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I'll have to save some pennies up for this one.

My big disappointment was with the new 600-RT flash. Instead of hooking up with say PocketWizard to develop something they created their own closed loop system. Yeah, I know.. that would be asking a lot of Canon to work with another company on their flagship product, but I could see it now.. something along the lines of a Paul Buff Cyber Commander that works with not only Canon but other lights out there. Oh well, keep dreaming I guess.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I kinda figured this was what Nikon was going to do with the D700 follow-on. If you saw all the confused chatter about the D800 over on Nikonians, you'd think they were wanting something like this too. It's certainly what I'd hoped for in a D700 replacement.

Personally, I think Nikon dropped the ball. 22MP is more than enough resolution, and with the higher ISO, new focus sensor and other refinements...this is going to be a killer camera. I can't see Nikon coming out with a 20 something MP FX camera, priced anywhere close to the D800.

From what I've read...spec wise, this will be the premier wedding / event camera. I think Canon pulled a slick one. I've got a D700 and am not even interested in the D800, but would be very interested in a Nikon with these specs as a step up.

Congratulation to all the Canon shooters...looks like this is going to be a killer camera, but still no built in flash...

Matt, you really think that Nikon is coming out with a D800 competitor at or near the price of a D800 using the D4 sensor? That would really convolute the lineup. While it would, as you talk about, make the D4 sensor more available, it would also take sales away form the D800 sensor. Only time will tell. Myself...I'd rather have seen a 20+MP sensor with cleaner images at higher ISO's than a 36 MP beast of a sensor with limited ISO. If Canon can get really clean images at 25,600 ISO, there's going to be ISO envy in the Nikon camp. Because, for all practical purposes, and in most shooting sitiations...you will never see the difference between 22 and 36 MP images unless you pixel peep. Everyone talks about resolution and being able to produce huge prints, but in reality, who really does this...how much bigger than 20x30 do you need to go.

Anyways, just my thoughts. I look forward to seeing the reviews after the cameras have been out a few months...only then will we be able to sort out the facts from the fiction.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited March 2, 2012
    The 5D mk1 was the one that came out at $3300, the 5D mk2 MSRP'd at $2700 right off the bat if I recall.
    =Matt=

My bad. I just googled both early reviews and you are correct. The II was $500 lower. Sure wish the III was lower still. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Sure wish the III was lower still. rolleyes1.gif

Well, considering us Brits are being asked to fork out an extra £800 - compared with straight conversion - for the privilege of owning one of these things (as per usual), you LHS pond dwellers have got little to complain about imo :)

Maybe Canon think we're all retired bankers on > £500k / yr pensions?

pp
  • Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Canon had a lot to prove as (some) people were getting restless especially around the AF of the 5 series and I'm very happy that they didn't disappoint! I've never had a major problem with AF but still would like to get a pair of the 5D3 to replace my 5D2 bodies, the better ISO, duel card slots and the ability to accurately use outside AF points make this great. 6fps, not going to really affect me but not a bad thing to have. I'm pleased that I can't afford getting 2 of these at the moment otherwise the wait until release would be really painful Laughing.gif.

As for the US/UK price thing, it's always been a pain and will remain being a pain so not a lot we can do, well apart from buy when on holiday. Downside being CPS won't accept non UK (or at least European) bodies so not helpful when wanting repairs.

Good job Canon, I think this is a real winner and one that I've already spotted some Nikon D700 users considering as the D800 went to geeky/gadgety and high res. First time for ages I've seen this trend, it's been going the other way for a while.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    The specs look amazing, although I don't think the AF system upgrade will help me in a wedding situation. My only disappointment is that the price is much higher than the D800, I was hoping that Canon would match the Nikon price, which is very competitive given the weakness of the $ and GBP.

Calumet have the D800 at £2399 and the 5D3 at £2999, that's a big difference. When the 5D2 came out it had a street price around £2200 IIRC but I was able to get one a year later at the Focus On Imaging show for £2300 with a 24-70 thrown in. Hopefully the price will come down over time.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Any idea how good the AF system is? On par with a 7D for fast action, for example?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Any idea how good the AF system is? On par with a 7D for fast action, for example?

It's going to be better than the 5D2. Yes I said it.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 2, 2012
    mercphoto wrote: »

The Canon 5D MKIII appears to have adopted a very similar, if not identical, AF module from the Canon 1D X. The 1D X has not been tested much in the field, so it's really too early to give much concrete data about AF speeds or AF accuracy. My guess is that Canon has tested this AF system more than any previous and I suspect that they have proven it capable in their tests.

One major difference between the 1D X and the 5D MKIII is that the 1D X uses 3 - image processors*, while the 5D MKIII uses 1 - image processor*. This will certainly affect AF acquisition to some degree, but it is uncertain just how much.

*(The 1D X uses a pair of Digic 5+ processors, plus a Digic 4 processor. The 5D MKIII uses a single Digic 5+ processor.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    It's priced out of my reach for the time being, but it sounds wonderful. The only thing missing from my own wishlist is a built-in popup flash with a commander, but I can understand why they didn't include it, and I suspect 80% of their market is already using other off-camera flash solutions anyway. I just like having the popup in the 7d as an "emergency" commander on occasion, especially since in a 2-flash configuration it can add a tickle of fill from the front if needed. Of course, the flagship flashes can do that too, and it makes sense that people who want this camera will probably be using 580's and, now, the new 600.

So, while it's financially necessary for me, I'm not that bothered waiting for things to settle down - I'm happy to let other people be beta-testers while I save up enough to jump to this beast :D

That said, I wouldn't say no to winning the one that Andy has primed to give away... lol3.gif
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Well, I made sure they would come with the new 600 Speedlites by ordering two extra 580's which I don't even have yet... they are still on their way to me :)

I didn't buy any pocketwizards yet because I learned that I need to get European versions... I wonder if the 600's behave with US pocketwizards without the need for socks etc.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I could sell my MKII real quick and snatch one up.. lol
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
  • Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Interesting pieces - apparently they're letting the MkII fill the "lower-end" FF category for a while...

http://gizmodo.com/5889763/why-you-should-buy-a-canon-5d-mark-ii-instead

http://gizmodo.com/5889860/canon-will-keep-the-5d-mark-ii-alive-and-sell-it-cheaper

Great reads!!

The new 5D Mark lll is calling my name! First I need to sell the new 5DM2 that Santa gave me.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    congtrats canon folk..looks like nice camera! price is pretty high but the new AF may be worth it
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I have a pre-order in on a 1Dx, but with all the rumors recently on the 5D3 I was considering cancelling it. (Well, just not buying it when it came in...) However, in looking at the specs of the 5D3 I am glad I have the pre-order in place.

The 5D3 does indeed look like a real improvement over the 5D2, but still incremental. The weakest part of the 5D2 (for me anyway) is the AF system. Still, I am able to get really good AF with just the center point, though I do feel constrained with this as compared to my 1D4. But it gets the job done, and does it really well. (I would say that at least 30% of my sports image sales to the media are birthed in my 5D2.)

Higher ISO? Well, that's always nice, but I rarely need anything more than I have in my 5D2.

Faster processing? I have no real need to write the files faster, as this does not limit me in any way right now. Maybe if the AF was a little faster I'd be happier, but I don't really feel limited by this either.

6 FPS? Certainly an improvement, but this is not fast enough to make a real difference in those rare circumstances that I need high FPS.

Of course, there is no good reason for comparing a 1Dx with a 5D3 (or 5D2 for that matter); they are very different cameras intended for very different users. I guess I was just hoping to find a good reason not to spend the scratch on the 1Dx, and I have not found it.

Quick question to you wedding and event shooters: How limited are you by the primitive AF system on the 5D2? I do some concert work, and I guess there are times when a few more AF points would be useful, but it is a rare occurrence when I can't get the shot because of AF limitations.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 2, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    ... Quick question to you wedding and event shooters: How limited are you by the primitive AF system on the 5D2? I do some concert work, and I guess there are times when a few more AF points would be useful, but it is a rare occurrence when I can't get the shot because of AF limitations.

I have found that my Canon 40D is both faster to focus and more accurate to focus, compared to the 5D MKII and in the same conditions. The center AF point is the only reliable point to use, unless in very good light which is generally outdoors.

The Canon 1D MKII bodies beat both the 40D and the 5D MKII, in AF speed and AF accuracy. This is especially noticeable in lower available light. All of these cameras may be negatively influenced by certain lighting (aka gymnasium type lighting).

I use the 1D MKII body for pre-ceremony, ceremony and receiving line, then I switch to the 5D MKII for formals, and finally the 40D for the reception. I rely on an external flash with AF Assist for all camera bodies to increase the AF speed and accuracy. In this regard, the Canon 580EX has the best AF Assist pattern (among flashes that I own), followed by Sigma EF DG Super flashes.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    edited March 2, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Quick question to you wedding and event shooters: How limited are you by the primitive AF system on the 5D2? I do some concert work, and I guess there are times when a few more AF points would be useful, but it is a rare occurrence when I can't get the shot because of AF limitations.

I am in the same boat as you. I haven't been limited except in the rarest of situations. I cannot even remember the last time I was frustrated afterward thinking "I wish my damn focus would work or I could have had that amazing shot!" so I know it doesn't really get in the way, cause I get the shot anyway. If I don't get the shot, %99.9 of the time its NOT because the AF didn't work, its because my brain didn't work and didn't use the right exposure settings or I wasn't thinking clearly on being prepared. I can definitely remember the brain fart moments that cost me the photo, and those had nothing to do with AF.:D I've actually missed more with my 7D than my MKII with AF, come to think of it.
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I am in the same boat as you. I haven't been limited except in the rarest of situations. I cannot even remember the last time I was frustrated afterward thinking "I wish my damn focus would work or I could have had that amazing shot!" so I know it doesn't really get in the way, cause I get the shot anyway. If I don't get the shot, %99.9 of the time its NOT because the AF didn't work, its because my brain didn't work and didn't use the right exposure settings or I wasn't thinking clearly on being prepared. I can definitely remember the brain fart moments that cost me the photo, and those had nothing to do with AF.:D I've actually missed more with my 7D than my MKII with AF, come to think of it.

Must admit, I use just the centre point 99% of the time, as it allows me to decide exactly which part of the image I want in focus (I tend to use fast lenses wide open a lot of the time). There are some circumstances where clusters of AF points would come in handy though, but I'm much more excited about the high ISO than the AF.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I'm sure you guys all seen this, but just in case you haven't: ISO test series
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/02/canoneos5dmarkiii-isoseries
    I'd say - very, very impressive! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 2, 2012

All I can say is, having used both the 5D mk2 and the Nikon D700 extensively, often side by side, ...I can't stand the limitations of the 5D mk2. Not just the number of focus points, heck just considering the center focus point. The Nikon can nail anything in any light, I don't have to worry nearly as much about the exact placement of the focus point because I know it's going to nail it 90% of the time. On the 5D mk2, I have to constantly keep track of what lens I'm using, what aperture I'm shooting at, and EXACTLY how I place the focus point over the subject. When shooting with the 85mm f/1.8 or the 100 f/2 for example, in light so low that I don't even have a safe exposure without using bounced flash, ...the camera just does NOT lock focus reliably at f/1.8 or f/2 unless I use my flash assist beam. The studio I shoot with all uses 5D mk2's and one guy just laughed at me when he saw me trying to nail focus in a dark reception hall, without a flash on the camera to assist. I dunno, maybe the 5D mk2 isn't THAT bad at focusing, but if that is the case then all I can say is that my D700 must be making me REALLY lazy and sloppy, cuz it just doesn't require nearly half the attention to precision that the 5D mk2 requires. It just goes bang-bang-bang...

But hey, if you can live with the 5D mk2's focus, if you have some awesome technique that I don't know and you can nail focus at f/1.X when a subject is moving around on a dance floor in ISO 6400 light, well, then that's great. Keep using the 5D mk2! I have a lot of respect for anyone that "has zero problems with the 5D mk2 focus" (Or I just doubt their standards for sharpness, Laughing.gif.) ...For everybody else, well now you finally have the 5D mk3.

=Matt=
    edited March 2, 2012
    All I can say is *paragraph here*

=Matt=

I have compulsively high sharpness standards, lol, I'm one of the sharp lens nuts on this forum.

But, yeah, mainly its me always on high alert ready to use the camera in the way it works best for focusing in that scene. If there's a highlight somewhere, backlight, or just anything I know will work, I keep ready for it. If I had the Nikon AF, I'm sure I'd be a lot less attentive to that aspect. But, my name is Overfocused and compulsive thinking is just what you need when you work like that, lol. Its just how my brain works. I didn't say no problems either, but for a shoot as a whole, I definitely don't feel it gets in my way or it got in my way.

Anyway, most of the time for events I shoot with a 70-200F4 and that thing is amazing at acquiring focus in low light. Even in my nightly walks, its surprising what it can still focus on. The 50mm F1.4 is definitely harder though, lol, unless using live view with that insta-focus button. That works pretty nicely in non-action settings.

I wanna try the 70-200F2.8, I bet that'd be interesting to use and focus even better. The DOF sorta ends up looking near the same as the F1.4/F1.8 after compression with distant shots.