Tenba Digital Backpack DB-17C

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited February 20, 2004 in Accessories
I have been searching for a long time for a backpack that can be used as a carry on item, hold a lot of gear and be comfortable. I was pointed in the right direction by Tugrik. He posted a link to Tenbagear.com. I have a few of their other cases and bags, but had not seen this new line of bags. I searched the site and came across the DB-17C Backpack. Finally I thought I had found a useable photo backpack. I have tried the Lowepro and they are very nice, but did not fit me comfortably. So two days ago I finally ordered it. I am heading on a trip for two weeks and I wanted a backpack to use, since the shoulder bag is too heavy for long periods. It showed up today and I am very happy with the results. It holds most of what I want (or can carry). I have been working on modifying an external frame pack to carry really big loads of photo and backpacking gear for the future.

Well I packed up the bag and put it on and walked about a mile with it and it handled the load very well. It weighed in at 46 pounds :huh, so I was rapidly becoming the weak link in how far I can travel with my cameras. Time to start working out again.

Here is a shot of part of the interior, the four small strips are for holding memory cards, a whole lot of them. This bag a a lot of pockets to put stuff everywhere.

2273710-M.jpg

Here is the shot of the interior with my gear, pretty close to how I will travel with it, I just need to pad a few items. Under the gear from the side is a slot for the laptop.

2273709-M.jpg

Here is what the harness system looks. It has decent padding and holds the load well.

2273713-M.jpg

Here is everything that I had in it. I can probably fit a little more if I try a little harder, but it is a lot of stuff, before I strap the tripod on.

2273708-M.jpg

Here is a quick inventory.

Two large bodies, six lenses, extension ring, two extenders, chargers for the camera batteries and laptop, flash, CF cards, filers, filter holder, filter rings, cable release, 15" laptop, superclamp, ultrapod, and a CF card reader.

The tripod can strap on the side (kind of) or the bottom. This to me is the one miss with the bag. It has few points to strap to. I had it on the bottom for my test run and it was ok. It flopped around a bit and is a bit wide, but ok. I am going to add a third strap that will run it to the top of the case and stop it from swinging. All things considered it works very well for me. I will have to wait for a final answer when I get back from my trip. Tenba's website has more photos of the bag and dimensions on their website. Thanks Tugrik for showing me their new website. It seems strange that they are not promoting these cases very heavily from their main website. :thumb

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    I hope that it will work out ok with the airlines. The size is close to what they accept, but now I only need to carry one bag, not a camera bag and a laptop.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    that's a lot of stuff. :lurk
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 4, 2004
    fish wrote:
    that's a lot of stuff. :lurk

Thanks, there is plenty more where that came from. Most of the rest is going up for sale on ebay very soon. Can I interest you in some Nikon gear? deal.gifrolleyes1.gif How about some Hasselblad? X-Pan? Sinar? need a chemistry based darkroom? I have plenty to offer. Hopefully it will all sell soon and I will be 100% Digital and 100% Canon. Then I can look at getting some big glass. mwink.gif Add a 1DmkII when I can get my hands on one too. Hey wxwax umph.gif do you have a copy of my list? deal.gif I forgot what I wanted first. ne_nau.gif I am thinking 300/2.8. nod.gif1drink.gif
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks, there is plenty more where that came from. Most of the rest is going up for sale on ebay very soon. Can I interest you in some Nikon gear? deal.gif
    No, but if you find a willing buyer, let me know...I have some Nikon stuff to sell too.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    That's a great bag! Do you have to 70-200 attached? Looks like, which means reasonably quick to pull it out. Very cool.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    Patch, where did you order it from?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    Wow! Inspector Gadget would be envious.
    Does it come with a hat and trenchcoat?

GDR.........

Shakey
    edited February 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    That's a great bag! Do you have to 70-200 attached? Looks like, which means reasonably quick to pull it out. Very cool.

Yes, The body is a little deep and it makes for a tight fit from the bottom of the motordrive (vertical handle), but it fits.
    edited February 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Patch, where did you order it from?

B+H
    edited February 5, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Wow! Inspector Gadget would be envious.
    Does it come with a hat and trenchcoat?

No, but it does have a rain cover and a separate ground cover to protect the straps and such if you set it down in the dirt.
    edited February 20, 2004
    My trip went very well with the new backpack. It is technically overweight and size for carry on use, but I did not have any problems with my two flights. It carried well and was easy to organize. I hope to get a lot of use out of it in the future. I also recommend looking at it if you need to carry a lot of gear in a backpack.