Options

A dozen from Mt. Rainier National Park

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited September 2, 2008 in Landscapes
From the last week, I apologize for the number of photos, but I was either at work or taking photos the last week so I haven't had time to break it up into smaller posts :D

I'm going to see if I can do the wildflowers justice this next weekend, if they're still around (it snowed this weekend a few times).

#1 Dawn at Upper Tipsoo Lake:

363530801_dXHaZ-L.jpg

#2 Sunrise at Upper Tipsoo Lake:

363754967_RQN4o-L.jpg

#3 Comet Falls and Van Trump Creek (this picture in no way does the falls justice, as I've often found with waterfalls, the big ones are almost always better in person than in photographs):

362214408_RjCuN-L.jpg

#4 Narada Falls (you might notice some water spots on the lens (polarizer actually), that's due to the spray from the falls, it was unavoidable)

362187247_T5XFP-L.jpg

#5 Foggy sunrise over Tipsoo Lake (this is a different Tipsoo Lake than the rest of the photos):

362159823_iRXEG-L.jpg

#6 The ghost appears (this was the only view of Rainier I had all day, since it was overcast, I decided it would be a good time to shoot waterfalls afterward):

362153632_hSGbE-L.jpg

#7 Lenticular cloud over Upper Tipsoo Lake (I was really hoping that cloud would approach the mountain by the time the sunrise occurred, but it was still close enough to get its reflection).

359192059_x2xr9-L.jpg

#8 Mt. Rainier and stars pre-dawn near Reflection Lakes (It pays to arrive early! I could barely see the mountain, and had to guess on the focus, but after the 30 second+ exposure, it turned out pretty well, I love the blue sky):

358564338_ivqUk-L.jpg

#9 Sunrise at Reflection Lakes (45 minutes or so after #8):

359177068_C7Cof-L.jpg

#10 Sunrise over reflection lakes (tripod was in the exact same spot as #9, I just angled it to the right, some fantastic color)

358562132_QXddv-L.jpg

#10 Rainier from the Alta Vista trail in Paradise:

358556020_ip5QT-L.jpg

#11 Rainier and wildflowers from the Skyline trail near Paradise:

358558275_Aavxy-L.jpg

#12 Another sunrise at Upper Tipsoo Lake (this was actually after peak light, and the wind kicked up to cut out the reflection, but I like the side light on the base of the mountain, it gives those small craggy peaks texture):

358516973_LtBxo-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    clap.gif Wow, impressive series, very beautiful, well done!

Charlie
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Ron, these are all very fine landscape shots. Great job with exposure, composition, and post-processing. I love them all. But I particularly love #'s 2, 5, 7, and 12.

Where you camped next to the lake? Did you take these on separate days or all in the same morning?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    another great series, ofcourse they all are awesome as expected from you...

6 is a very lucky break in the fog or you can control the elements eh?...
    8, nice pick up, lovly blue with the twinkle twinkle...thumb.gif
    10, wow color, sweet reflection

2, grand!

bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited September 2, 2008
    I like the sunrise shots as well as those with the fog. Very nice indeed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    eek7.gif
    clap.gifclap
    Beautiful ! work
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    GwagDesignsGwagDesigns Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Beautiful colors there, ive been meaning to get up there for a while now, those pictures make me want to even more :D
    [7D] - [30D] - [GF1] - 70-200f4L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 | Sigma 18-50
    www.GwagDesigns.com | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr

• Options
    Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Impressive set! Put a hiker in #10 and that would sell like crazy. #12 is striking, and I kind of enjoy the reflection being a bit muddled--places the emphasis on the actual mountain.
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Amazing photos Ron!!

I was there on Monday (yesterday). I assume you must have camped out? I left Seattle at 4 AM and still missed sunrise by a few minutes. rolleyes1.gif Then everything clouded over. :cry
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Beautiful!!! #10 & #12 are my favorites. I spent my lunch break at work on vacation at dgrin today. Its probably the closest I'll ever get to going to a lot of these beautiful scenic places.

Stephanie
  • Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Man, I LOVE your photography!!! clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

are these day hikes, or do you take most of your shots while backpacking through the backcountry???
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Amazing pictures!! I kept thinking, this one is the best and then the next one was even better. I enjoyed these a lot.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Awesome... the next time im out that way im going there, we missed it this last time around as there was so much to do where we were... great series of shots!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Ron, these are all very fine landscape shots. Great job with exposure, composition, and post-processing. I love them all. But I particularly love #'s 2, 5, 7, and 12.

Where you camped next to the lake? Did you take these on separate days or all in the same morning?

Thanks Jeff! These were shot over the span of four days. I drove in all four times (about 2-2.5 hours each way depending on location).

[ #1, #2 ] - Sunrise before work

[ #3, #4, #5, #6 ] - Last Friday, took the day off from work (and worked Labor day instead). It was overcast so I figured it would be a good day for waterfalls.

[ #7, #12 ] - Another sunrise before work

[#8, #9, #10, #11] - Saturday, sunrise at Reflections Lake, and then a few wildflower shots later on some of the trails near Paradise. Got some decent wildlife shots (marmots, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, etc.) too.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    another great series, ofcourse they all are awesome as expected from you...

6 is a very lucky break in the fog or you can control the elements eh?...
    8, nice pick up, lovly blue with the twinkle twinkle...thumb.gif
    10, wow color, sweet reflection

2, grand!

bowdown.gif

Thanks Aaron! For #6, I didn't think there was a chance the mountain would come out it was so shrouded in fog, but then it broke for a minute and I hurriedly moved to a better spot and got off ONE shot before it was gone again. Then I went back and got some more fog shots while I was there before going after waterfalls later.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Beautiful colors there, ive been meaning to get up there for a while now, those pictures make me want to even more :D

Thanks, 2 hours from Seattle, it's definitely worth it!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Grizzle6 wrote:
    Impressive set! Put a hiker in #10 and that would sell like crazy. #12 is striking, and I kind of enjoy the reflection being a bit muddled--places the emphasis on the actual mountain.

Thanks! The only hiker at that time was me, and I wouldn't sign the model release so I was kind of screwed :D

I like #12 for the same reason, it's my wallpaper right now.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Amazing photos Ron!!

I was there on Monday (yesterday). I assume you must have camped out? I left Seattle at 4 AM and still missed sunrise by a few minutes. rolleyes1.gif Then everything clouded over. :cry

The first two shots are from Monday actually (as I was driving up the fog was so thick that I didn't think I would have a chance at the mountain, and then once I got to a high enough elevation it completely cleared. It was pretty cold for this time of year, and the wind was too heavy to do wildflower shots (I had to go work afterward anyway).

Once the peak color was over the clouds moved back in though. Those two shots were near Chinook Pass which is only 90 miles from Seattle (you can make it there in two hours), I left at 3:30 AM. At the beginning of the month, I had to leave at 2:30 AM, so things are improving :D
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    kitvan wrote:
    Man, I LOVE your photography!!! clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

are these day hikes, or do you take most of your shots while backpacking through the backcountry???

Thanks! These shots are all day trips, none of the hikes were more than 5-6 miles. The sunrise shots were all near a road so I didn't have to go more than 1/4 mile or so at most.