Options

Brand New D700- Wolf Centre

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited October 6, 2008 in Wildlife
Hi everyone,

It's been quite some time since I've posted on this forum. This last month I revamped my equipment and decided to go the Nikon FX route. I picked up a D700 with the MB-D10 battery pack, the 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, and 14-24 2.8 Nikkors. Having had very little opportunity to use them due to work, I decided to head down to the wolf observation centre in Haliburton.

What a perfect trial run for the D700 and the 70-200 VR. We had remnants of hurricane Ike come north through the Great Lakes system so it was very dark, rainy and overcast (not to mention I was under canopy cover). Anyways, here are some shots I took at ISO 6400. No post-processing of any kind or cropping was done to any photo with the exception of some mild sharpening and the added borders.

372710942_UCwUq-L.jpg

372636725_q4Mb2-L.jpg

372617939_HB6MW-L.jpg

372683729_srMjc-L.jpg

372755919_n8Pe7-L.jpg

The Nikon EXPEED processor is really fantastic in producing rich colours, even at higher ISO's. The ISO 6400 setting on my D700 is the same as the ISO 800 setting on my D80's, with the exception being that I get richer colour out of the D700. What really impressed me though was the AF system. 51 focus points really allow the D700 to find its target and lock on. I had very little issues with the low light and with dense foliage (although this may have been a function of the lens as well).

My Website
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    I love these. I feel the same way about my D300 in many ways. But it obviously won't produce the same low-light quality images that the D700 will. Good photography here!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    SleepingWolfSleepingWolf Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    Would love to get out to Haliburton.
    Sleeping Wolves -Nature & Travel Photography
    Visit The Wolf's Lair
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    Nice looking wolves. Those iso 6400 images are very impressive.
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2008
    I ended up printing two of them out on 8x10's and was very impressed with the quality. Thanks everyone.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    ISO 6400...huh...SHOWOFF!!! wings.gifD
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I was just kind of bragging about the ISO 6400 rather than the shots themselves! :D Its tough creating good compositions when limited by an observation room. I can't wait to go back up when there is more light and use ISO 1600 instead.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Thanks everyone. I guess I was just kind of bragging about the ISO 6400 rather than the shots themselves! :D Its tough creating good compositions when limited by an observation room. I can't wait to go back up when there is more light and use ISO 1600 instead.

Great shots. I am a member at the centre and my favorite time to visit is winter - aside from the driving! You will be able to drop the ISO right down on some sunny days with snow.
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Nice shots and a great working example of the D700 at 6400 thumb.gif
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Excellent captures and congrats on the new camera.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"