Options

Pros and cons of photography as a career (your experiences)

skywalkerbethskywalkerbeth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited June 18, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi everyone,

I am a rank newbie here, and just an amateur hobbyist. I enjoy taking photos and I'm sure (like everyone starting out) thinks "boy, this is more fun than a real job, wouldn't it be great to do this full time". (NO PLANS to do so... at least until I am self sufficient without a day job - i.e. retirement)

I'm friends with a professional photographer and I get the sense that he's burnt out and while he makes very good money from it (much too good to walk away from) he's sick of the lifestyle (lack thereof?) and after achieving his success he's finding it isn't all what it's cracked up to be. I get the sense from him that it's a very isolated lifestyle but it may be the type of photography he's chosen and the fact that he is doing it solo, no partners.

So, it got me wondering:

If you are a pro photographer, is it working out the way you expected - I don't mean monetarily only, I mean satisfaction?

How did you choose your path - is it a second career, is it all you've ever wanted to do, is it part time? Is it as fun as you expected it to be?

What kind of photography do you do? Do you see yourself doing this long term, or after a number of years are you planning to dial back and just make it a hobby?

It seems to me that it is a great deal of work and if you plan to survive on it, your business skills need to be at least as good as your photography skills and maybe even better - and that you may end up spending more time on the business aspect than the photography itself.

Anyway, just curious what others' experiences are. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Interesting comments and questions and I'll look forward to the experienced pros comments. I am on the cusp of becoming a full-time photographer in addition to being a freelance writer. I'm used to (and like) the solitary lifestyle that comes with both of these professions. But you're right. In both cases, my business skills (honed from years in marketing and public relations - not so much on the accounting side) are called in to play constantly and dominate much, too much, of my time.

both writing and photography are creative endeavours that can, should, and do come from the heart. That said - I have two 'streams': one is strictly "show me the money" - where I write or shoot to a business plan that is supposed to pay my bills, keep my family fed and a roof (house and barn) over our heads; the other is for me. I write about or shoot things for my own satisfaction and if they happen to sell - whoopie - but that's not the impetus. It's the only way I can achieve any balance in my own life.

I'm gradually getting rid of clients that don't meet my goals. It's not that I can afford to do that financially - but I have to afford to do it mentally. Those that cause me stress or waste my time? Gone.

What do the rest of you think?
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Well I am a new "pro" having just changed careers this year. I was blessed in my past career in the coin business and this allowed me to take my part time photography work to a full time business.
    For the last 15 years, I photographed coins not only for my company, but for many other dealers around the states. Making the transition to full time photography was pretty easy for me.
    I have built many business and personal contacts over the last two decades, so my "client" base has pretty much stayed the same. I do far more product photography than any other form, but have begun to branch out into some stock stuff, portraits, and events.
    In the end, photography is no different than any other service based business. Building a client base, producing consistant results, and being prepared.
    I enjoy the change in careers and even have a little more free time than I have been used to. Being financially prepared, I can focus on the work that I choose, rather than being forced to pay the bills.
    Eventually I may add a few weddings per year.
    When starting any business, a plan is of the utmost importance. On top of the business aspects, a layout of services, contracts, equipment, and future plans should all be planned out.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    RPMDPRPMDP Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2008
    I too, recently started my photography business, but I am shooting alot of different channels in the business, from real estate, school functions and home inventory to trying to work my way into Dog Shows. I do have issues with figuring out how much to charge for the services and I read 85% profit over your operating costs. I charge $60 a hr, $700 per 8 hour day. My insurance broker and I need to negotiate on me shooting new policyholder homes for him. We'd discussed a monthly payment, per house. I know I could drive 30 miles to shoot 2 pictures of a house and this service would be for his entire office. I will be e-mailing them to him and I will watermark them. Question is, I charge him mileage ($.49 a mile) and then how much to shoot the 2 pictures and e-mail them to him.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    I do this part time. Really just picking up the pace in the last few months. I could see transitioning to full time in another 5 or 10 years. I also teach preschool part time and love it, so it's hard to imagine giving that up. Since photography only supplements our other income, I can go with the flow a little more. I'm not sacrificing other income or opportunities to pursue this. If I quit my teaching job, I'd have to get serious about a business plan.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Thanks for the replies!
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    If you are a pro photographer, is it working out the way you expected - I don't mean monetarily only, I mean satisfaction?

Yes and no. There is a high degree of satisfaction that comes when a client likes their product. Monetarily, it is tough at the start. Lots of overhead such as backup gear as well as doing jobs for either free or at-cost in order to build up you name. Also, clients are becoming more and more knowledgeable about photography equipment. This means that Uncle Tim will know if your equipment is consumer-grade or higher. For example, when meeting with brides and grooms for the first time, I was shocked to be grilled about fast lenses and full format bodies. Good equipment costs money and I had to sell my bass-boat to cover startup costs.
    How did you choose your path - is it a second career, is it all you've ever wanted to do, is it part time? Is it as fun as you expected it to be?

This is my second career path (hopefully)! In 5 years I hope to be doing this full-time. It is very fun and very not-fun! There is much more work involved than just taking good photos and being good in the digital darkroom. As photography business owner, I need to learn to be my own accountant, promotor and lawyer (contracts and disputes). If doing weddings, you'll also have to be a psychologist :D !

These are all challenges that end up being rewarding and fun, if you are prepared to face the reality that it can be tough slogging for a while.
    What kind of photography do you do? Do you see yourself doing this long term, or after a number of years are you planning to dial back and just make it a hobby?

I have done mainly landscape art for a while not, but this coming summer I've started taking weddings at introductory rates to build a wedding portfolio. Unless you are a commercial or fashion photographer, you'll probably need to start focusing on weddings to have a serious run at making the business last. I have no plans to turn it back into a hobby as it stands right now. I enjoy what I do, even with all the paperwork and crap it can entail.
    It seems to me that it is a great deal of work and if you plan to survive on it, your business skills need to be at least as good as your photography skills and maybe even better - and that you may end up spending more time on the business aspect than the photography itself.

This is a very astute observation and one that will put you light years ahead of other photographers who want to start this business. Marketing and promoting is very important (however ultimately, your work quality will be what gets you business). Yes, I find myself spending more time on the business end of photography, than shooting itself. For example, when I come home from my day-job at the daily planet (joke), I am on the cell phone right away speaking to potential clients or brides with questions and even the mother of the bride's. This is of course happening all the time. I try and check my email and voicemail constantly, because if responses are not prompt, then clients will go elsewhere.

Utlimately, it is a very rewarding job and one that can take you different places. It's sticking it out to get to that point that can be tough. thumb.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    It seems to me that it is a great deal of work and if you plan to survive on it, your business skills need to be at least as good as your photography skills and maybe even better
    That's probably true of just about any business. Bose, for example, is an average company from a product standpoint, but they excel at marketing. Microsoft, ditto. Intel created a microprocessor with a truly sub-standard architecture that is the best selling in the world. Examples abound. Whoever came up with the quote to build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door was obviously an engineer and not a business person because the business person knows better. :) (I'm an engineer, I can poke fun at my own kind like this :D

I used to work with one camera salesperson at my local store and he went full-time pro a few years back. His comment to me was that in his schooling he learned everything about photography but didn't have a single business course. And that he realized was a mistake.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    I used to work with one camera salesperson at my local store and he went full-time pro a few years back. His comment to me was that in his schooling he learned everything about photography but didn't have a single business course. And that he realized was a mistake.

Agreed!

Taking some night business courses at the local college will give a better understanding on how to create a business plan. This will help "manage your molecule" so you don't bite off more than you can chew!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    I've had a near record month of work. So busy that I've been away from the forums for a couple weeks.
    Its getting there... My work is going well but I still maintain a small, highly-flexible P/T job to insure the bills get paid.

I fully expect to continue to pour 90-100% of my photo income back into the business. More gear, upgrades, spare gear, marketing, computers, etc...

I'm either working or sleeping. If I'm not shooting, I'm processing, or marketing, or studying or doing something related to my life (my business). I work 7 days a week. Not counting studio work, and a few weddings I've completed over 220 assignments this year. I should have about 280 done by the end of the year. This is good.

I've been shooting since I was 6 or 7. First darkroom around 10. First major publication (L.A. Times) when I was 17 or 18. I've worked in every aspect of the business either F/T or P/T. I've also done a lot of work in radio/sound production. Got my MBA a while back - I'm done my time in IT and the IT industry as a project manager.

Would I take on a $85/hr Project Manager/Analyst contract gig now? Sure. I'd cut back on 'some' photo work so I could add thousands of dollars to savings and build that up. I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I LOVE my photo work.

I think you really have to love your work. I've been in lots of positions that I didn't love, but the ones related to photography have all been great jobs!

Is it fun? Well yeah. There are parts of the job I don't relish. Client contact is something I enjoy. I put my MBA to work all the time. I use my skills and talents and that is fun.

Whatever you will pay me for as I'm also a business person. I'm your photographer, I'm your expert. If I can't do it, I'll get it done for you on schedule and to your deadlines. <--- That makes me successful.

I hope to die with a camera in my hands or while looking at pictures.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2008
    Hi

I haven't looked at the forums in a while - sorry to miss all these great replies. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Options
    Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Well, to me I've been a photographer for the last 2 years and in the last year i got into business (making money out of it). I know it's a short period, but don't be fooled by the number of years. What made me really good in photography is my passion for reading. I read a lot a lot a LOT! and then try to apply them in my experiences.

I agree with those who said that you need to know about business as much as you know about photography. Actually, photography is all about your eyes, brain, and imagination. Now all those are only 20%, and the business itself is 80%.

I started doing photography for free at start, as a kind of promotion for my customers. Then when the website got ready we started charging customers for a little amount of money ($10-$30), i know it is little, but the idea was to just get recognized. I forgot to tell u, I started doing personal photoshoots for people, and our slogan was "Love Yourself" coz most of the clients when they were seeing their pictures, they were going nuts. Then I got into magazines, and commercial photography, but still the personal photoshoots are covering 70% of my photography works.

As for 2009, I went for smugmug, so I can add more services to my business (buying photos online (stock), and printing). The url of my website is http://lens-bh.com, and on Dec 1st, we're gonna change the homepage to some catchy flash intro that says (coming soon), and on 2009 we're going live with the Smugmug. (redicrect the custom domain to the smugmug url)
    Well, don't want to be negative, but it needs more time. Until now I have reached 40% of my goals, but still I'm gonna be positive (work with the Secret, lolz) and one day I will reach clap.gif
    One advice, do always what you love, I love photography, if i get paid, thanks God for that, if i don't, still I have my camera to enjoy with.
    I'm doing it as a full time, doing photography for universities, magazines, car dealers, etc..

Well, my longterm plan (5 to 10 years) is to have a photography studio and hopefully with God's grace I will acoomplish it.
    When I first started, i was like I will take pictures for ANYTHING! MALES, FEMALES, FASHION, etc.. but then when i got mature about it, i thought and said: "Well, I can't take pictures of anything and for ANYONE" I don't take sexy pictures of females for fashion, etc.. As I'm a Muslim and it is wrong. I don't wanna make sins with my talent. I plan to use my photography for things that will benefit the human being, bring peace, and goodness to the world.

I don't take photography as a hobby. I was taking it as a hobby, then I toke it to a new level, why undoing?
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    I'll throw in my 2 cents...

I started with photography back in high school in 1995 (yes, I'm old)... mostly as an elective class and fell in love with it...

Years passed and in 2003, I had the opportunity to intern at a TV station... moving pictures... lots of technical stuff... but still, photography related...

I made good money as a photojournalist in TV... but as most people that have worked TV news, it is a tough business... not the work... but budgets and personality issues (yes, some TV people seem nice on TV, but behind the camera it's a whole different ball game)...

Thanks to this, I made connections with various people back home... and got myself a couple of freelance jobs with local magazines, websites for still photography... and kept doing freelance work for one of the two main TV networks in Mexico (TMZ like work - but it pays good, although I hate it)...

If the economy hadn't gone bad... I would've probably stayed back home in Texas making semi-decent money working freelance... hopefully things will turn back around and I can go back home to work on what I love...

As for wedding photography... I HATE IT with a passion... don't get me wrong... you CAN make very good money doing it... I just don't have the patience for it... and I tip my hat to the true artists that do this type of work...

It is definetly a tough business... especially with all the advances of digital photography... and don't think for a second that the newest and most expensive gear will make you a "pro"... in the fashion/modeling side, some people with this type of gear is usually called GWC - Guy with Camera... they think that getting this gear will get them more T&A if you know what I mean...

Someone else mentioned that most people are becoming photo saavy as far as gear and such... but I don't believe that is the case...

I think photo terminology is more common place nowdays, but that doesn't mean that "regular" people actually really know what you, as a photographer mean when you start talking about a fast lens, a prime lens, ISO, dpi v. ppi and such... it feels like the whole CSI syndrome... when people think that everything that happens on the show actually happens in real life...

Work satisfaction... personally... I have been lucky enough to have been able to do things that "regular" people can only dream about... have access to things, people and places not accessible to anyone... like flying with the Army's Golden Knights parachute team... be in the middle of a riot (scary, but fun)... interview Buzz Aldrin, Bill Richardson... so yeah... as far as satisfaction... like I said... I've been very fortunate...

As for business skills... this is the part that I hate... this is the "job" part of the job... nothing much I can say as far as this except agree with whomever said that a couple of night classes in business are not a bad idea...

I think that is it... and sorry for adding 4 additional cents here... :D
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • Options
    138photog138photog Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2009
    Pro 4 2 yrs
    Well I started out with product photography at a company where I was a manager. Sort of sold and hired my self. Now, two years later I am in South America still shooting products and trying to expand into other fields. I have been more or less creating a portfolio for myself these past years. I have an extensive business background which has helped me survive. My photographic skills are still developing. I feel as though networking, being honest, and believing in myself has been key.
    Planning and persistence.
    Above all being absolutely dedicated. Do not do anything that does not get you closer to your goals.

Today I am starting on a new ten year plan.
  • Options
    CamAaronCamAaron Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2009
    I have some friends that work as professional photographer. In my opinion, the most important thing for making a good career in photography is to specialize. Think about your strengths and main interests and then decide for something, there are so many options: you can be wedding photographer,art photographer or photojournalist in a certain category like sports, celebrities or the like.