Options

Winners: Mini-challenge #67 -- Humor

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,920 moderator
edited January 1, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, that was fun, but not easy to choose from so many great entries. Art is subjective and humor is as well, so here are the ones that made me laugh the most.

The honorable mentions (in random order):

444848205_y9ayE-XL-1.jpg

Now to the top five:

#5: OMG, by Trevlan
360441164_2y2nP-L.jpg

#4: Untitled by Karrie McD
310061354_pFeFD-L-1.jpg

#3: Snowmen Can't Jump, by leaforte
440861479_G6nWW-L.jpg

#2: jeffmeyers' Dog Head on the Wall
438949362_TQyQZ-XL.jpg

And the winner of the bragging rights and host for the next mini-challenge is:

Benjer, for Runaway Sushi
438097184_6aXfp-L.jpg

Great job, everyone. :clap:clap:clap I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did.

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    I loved all of the entries as well, and it would have been hard for me to pick one as better than the others. Congrats Benjer!
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Cogratulations benjer. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    congrats !!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    GreydogGreydog Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Congratulations everyone! wings.gif Awesome pictures rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Yeah, Runaway Sushi was the best. Good choice, Richard. And thanks for recognizing my stuffed doggie, too! I know he's looking down and smiling right now. Sniff, sniffle.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 29, 2008
    This was such a fun thread! Congrates to the winner and all the runners ups. Thanks for including me in a mention!
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Congratulations, Benjer!!

I was sorry not to be able to participate, but thanks heaps to those of you who did. Your wonderful witty, sometimes silly, warm and clever entries sure made me smile a lot over the past two weeks.

OK Benjer, what is our next theme?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Great choice of subject! I really enjoyed this one... and thanks for the nod, Richard! I knew that shrimp was destined for great things.
    Chris
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Congrats!! what fun it was to see these entries!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    micalngelomicalngelo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Congratulations Benjerclap.gif .....and to all who entered this fun challengeclap.gif
    Thank You Richard for the HM's as well:D
    micalngelo.smugmug.com

micalngelo
    _________

“The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.”
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Holy smokes! I made it to the top 5 with all of these outstanding photographs. I'm totally floored. Congrats to the winner, I knew that picture would win when I saw it the first time. I thought it was a strong contender in the DSS14. Great job. Very fun mini Richard. Can't wait for the next challenge!clap.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Congrats to all, so many fantastic images..Thanks for a fun round Richard!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Thanks for a sweet Christmas present!
    What a nice surprise to come home to, after a long weekend trip to DC (home of the "National Christmas Tree," among other sights). DGrin was my first stop online to decompress after traveling, and I'm still grinning from ear to ear at the news. :D Thanks everyone for the kind comments here and during DSS #14 when I originally made the shot.

I really enjoyed this mini challenge (thanks Richard for a fun theme!) and again was amazed and humbled by the collective talent here. Congrats to Richard's Top 5 and the HM's, and to all who participated. All the entries brought a smile to my face, some chuckles, and some out-and-out laughs. Great job everyone! clap.gif

Especially poignant for me was finding Karrie's shot of my parents' "Open House" after it was hit by a tornado in Suffolk, VA this past May. Though their house (as well as many others) and virtually all of their belongings were destroyed, no lives were lost and we have come through with our sense of humor, and our sense of home, intact.

It is with that in mind that I submit the theme for the next challenge as, simply, "Home." What does "Home" mean to you? Is it a specific place, a collection of sentimental objects, or people? Is it where you live now, or someplace in the past? A room, a region, or relationship?

This is wide open to interpretation, but I expect a winning entry will communicate a personal statement of what "Home" means (to you, or to the subject of the photo), rather than a generic "Home Sweet Home" cliché. That said, I also expect to be surprised - as usual - by many takes on the theme I never imagined. Discussion on the subject, as well as specific entries, is encouraged!

I will post a separate "Mini Challenge #68" entry thread in the next day or so (I think I have until Dec 31?), with the official start and end dates, rules, etc. So here you have a little head start for the first Mini Challenge of 2009! And I have some time to freak out about (and get used to) having to judge it!!! Oh boy...:oogle

Happy Holidays to everyone, and a Happy New Year!
    :ivar
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Congratulations everyone! clap.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I really had fun watching this challenge :)

Congratulations Benjer!!! and everyone else who participated :)clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Congrats to Benjer and to everyone else that posted. Thanks also for the HM. This mini-comp was fun to watch and brought a smile to my face.

Cheers,
    D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    thumb.gif Benjer - all the submissions brought a smile or chuckle or laugh, your's just topped the list! Well done, indeed!

Oh, and I really like your idea for the next one! Good thought!
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    thumb.gif Benjer - all the submissions brought a smile or chuckle or laugh, your's just topped the list! Well done, indeed!

Oh, and I really like your idea for the next one! Good thought!

Scott, I think you should submit your "Miss Him" photo for the next one. It'll win for sure. Love that shot!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Scott, I think you should submit your "Miss Him" photo for the next one. It'll win for sure. Love that shot!
    Thank you, but for me that's not a "this is how I see/feel about home" shot. I have some other ideas for this one. Oh, and be warned, I much better with the mushy stuff than I am with the humormwink.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Congrats to all on a great round. clap.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Benjer, you know I've loved the Runaway Sushi since you first posted it in #14 - very glad to see you've had some more mileage out of it!

The others are hilarious as well - what a great theme. Congrats to all! clap.gifclap
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Congrats to the top!

That was a laugh out loud thread, Richard! Excellent topic lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Benjer, you know I've loved the Runaway Sushi since you first posted it in #14 - very glad to see you've had some more mileage out of it!

Thanks! And speaking of mileage, that little shrimp hasn't quit since it heard the news...like it thinks it's the energizer bunny or something. :ivar These "15 minutes" have gone straight to its head, I'm afraid. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Congrats!
    Congrats to all...a very very fun round indeed!!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Thanks! And speaking of mileage, that little shrimp hasn't quit since it heard the news...like it thinks it's the energizer bunny or something. :ivar These "15 minutes" have gone straight to its head, I'm afraid. rolleyes1.gif

Bwaahahahahha

I think you need to hide that thing somewhere in every picture (you know, kind of like the cartoonist Hirschfield and the "Nina"s.). Or at least in every challenge entry (you were missed in #15 - hope you're coming back to the fold for the next one!)
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I think you need to hide that thing somewhere in every picture (you know, kind of like the cartoonist Hirschfield and the "Nina"s.). Or at least in every challenge entry (you were missed in #15 - hope you're coming back to the fold for the next one!)

Hmmmm, now that's a thought. Kind of a Where's Waldo, sushi style! And thanks by the way for the Hirschfield reference - after a quick search on Wikipedia I've learned something. clap.gif How'd I miss that little gem of popular culture???

I'm hoping to get something in for DSS#16, though without a specific theme I'm having a really hard time coming up with something!