Options

First Wedding of '09

ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited March 4, 2009 in Weddings
Yesterday I shot my first wedding of the year. While driving to the ceremony location a week prior to the ceremony, I passed this amazing walnut orchard. The trees were very mature and for lack of a better word, pretty "gnarly"

The ceremony took place in a little country church, with not much to offer for outside shots. Some things are starting to bloom around here, but we weren't going to find any lush green landscape anywhere close.

I made plans with the bride and groom to kidnap the wedding party from the ceremony site to head to this orchard before sunset.

Most of the wedding party thought I was nuts......but I'm pretty happy with the results!

482916547_nepwR-XL.jpg

My one struggle was dealing with a couple (and some of the bridal party) that was pretty stiff and quite difficult to pose. The bride is recently in the US from the Philippines, and pretty self conscious when others are around. They loosened up a bit after the rest of the bridal party left....I'll have to post some of those after I get them processed.
Heather
www.heatherdunnphotography.com
My Blog My Facebook Page
GIVING BACK - How will you give?
"I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Dreaded "Red X" Syndrome
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Hi, I'm not seeing any photos... thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    Hopefully the photo shows now, the same link worked in my blog and other places, not sure why it didn't work here.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Shudderz wrote:
    Hopefully the photo shows now, the same link worked in my blog and other places, not sure why it didn't work here.

Yup it's working now.

I like the contrast of the background to the bridal party :)
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    I really like this shot. I'd like it even better if the guy farthest back was facing 1/4 turn sideways instead of straight. Really like the colors. don't know exactly what you did in post (high vibrance?) but I really like it.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I really like this shot. I'd like it even better if the guy farthest back was facing 1/4 turn sideways instead of straight. Really like the colors. don't know exactly what you did in post (high vibrance?) but I really like it.

I agree on the guy in the back....

First off, I ran it through Noiseware from Imagenomic. Go figure, the night before this shot, beautiful light and colors in the sunset......the late afternoon/evening of the wedding it was overcast, and got darker earlier than we'd planned.

I use a set of actions by Doug Boutwell called Totally Rad Actions. I love them. Most actions put the effect on a separate layer so you can either put a mask on the layer or adjust it's opacity all together.

I ran a mixture of the actions on this shot......Here's the abridged version of what I did....

-Boutwell Magic Glasses (I love the extra POP this action gives images.....ESPECIALLY the details in the trees on this image)
    -Lights On....only on bride and groom and only 25% opacity or so
    -Technicolor Dream World (removed it from the people, adjusted opacity)
    -Merged layers.
    -Duplicated the layer.....used lasso tool to select around the bridal party, feather of 200, invert selection and then used levels to create a vignette.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Shudderz wrote:
    I agree on the guy in the back....

First off, I ran it through Noiseware from Imagenomic. Go figure, the night before this shot, beautiful light and colors in the sunset......the late afternoon/evening of the wedding it was overcast, and got darker earlier than we'd planned.

I use a set of actions by Doug Boutwell called Totally Rad Actions. I love them. Most actions put the effect on a separate layer so you can either put a mask on the layer or adjust it's opacity all together.

I ran a mixture of the actions on this shot......Here's the abridged version of what I did....

-Boutwell Magic Glasses (I love the extra POP this action gives images.....ESPECIALLY the details in the trees on this image)
    -Merged layers.
    -Duplicated the layer.....used lasso tool to select around the bridal party, feather of 200, invert selection and then used levels to create a vignette.

I was hoping it was easy!
  • Options
    samcsamc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    like it
    Maybe a bit too much PP, but overall the shot is great. It reminds me of the movie "The Village"!
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Why is she holding her dress instead of her boquet?

(don't get me wrong, I like the image a lot, I'm just looking for your thought process here)
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2009
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I was hoping it was easy!

Really, with the photoshop actions it's pretty simple. It's just a matter of adjusting to taste.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Nice shot! I like the processing. I think I would bring up the levels a touch - but that's just personal taste.

As for the guy in the back - yup, just a little stiff. Either a 1/4 turn or just a weight shift would have made all the difference.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Shudderz wrote:
    -Merged layers.

I love actions lol. Does having them slow down your photshop? If you don't mind, how many do you have?
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Shudderz wrote:

That is beautiful, Heather.

I was thinking of getting the TR Actions, and was a little cautious since they are a bit pricey, and I already have a bunch already that I rarely use. I have the itty bitty actions set and some from Nichole Vaughn.

How often do you use them? Do you think they are better than other action sets you have tried?
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    I love the overall shot. The red dresses in the trees really come alive. While the guy in the back is a bit stiff it does'nt ruin the shot. Most men don't know what to do with their hands and this makes them look stiff. What you did with the guy front right really helped. Put one or both hands in pocket and turn a bit. The only thing that bothers me is not in relation to a wedding shot but to a photo in general. The brides flowers on the ground and so far away from her, keeps pulling my eyes away from the people. This is really knitpicky I know but thats what happens when you have a shot that works, people have to start looking for small problems to point out.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    That is beautiful, Heather.

I was thinking of getting the TR Actions, and was a little cautious since they are a bit pricey, and I already have a bunch already that I rarely use. I have the itty bitty actions set and some from Nichole Vaughn.

How often do you use them? Do you think they are better than other action sets you have tried?

I love the actions and use them all the time. When I process my images, I start with an action I wrote to make eyes nice and sharp.....then I start with the TRA set. I use Pro Retouch for skin. I know many use Portraiture, but I like that I "paint" this effect on.

You can download a sample of some of their action on their website. HERE
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    I love actions lol. Does having them slow down your photshop? If you don't mind, how many do you have?

I haven't found they slow down my photoshop........they are basically scripts that just tell photoshop what to do, not an additional plug in.

I haven't counted how many I have. Some were free downloads, some I've written...and then both of the Totally Rad Action sets.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2009
    I love the overall shot. The red dresses in the trees really come alive. While the guy in the back is a bit stiff it does'nt ruin the shot. Most men don't know what to do with their hands and this makes them look stiff. What you did with the guy front right really helped. Put one or both hands in pocket and turn a bit. The only thing that bothers me is not in relation to a wedding shot but to a photo in general. The brides flowers on the ground and so far away from her, keeps pulling my eyes away from the people. This is really knitpicky I know but thats what happens when you have a shot that works, people have to start looking for small problems to point out.

I like Scott's term...personal taste. I found without the flowers there it looked too symmetrical for my taste. Thankfully one's eye is generally drawn to the brightest object in a piece, so that will keep eyes going back to the bride. If after looking at it a while I change my mind.....photoshop is a wonderful thing! (wish I could use it to fix the stiff guy's pose)

Plus....I mentioned the bride/groom being a bit stiff (and she's very new in the country with english NOT being her first language....it made directing a pose very difficult) By having her reach back and hold her dress, I got her out of that "prom" pose, got her weight all on the back leg.....it's not quite the "S" curve I would have liked, but it was better than the stiff straight up and down stance.

Thank you, and everyone else I haven't responded to yet for the compliment. All day while shooting the wedding I couldn't wait to get the bridal party out to that orchard. I saw the image in my head and had to have it!
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    A beautiful and creative shot!!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    I'm all about it...the white wedding dress is really nice...a standout against the rest of the post processing. And the stiff guy...hmmm...well...you could change him...or just leave him as a curiosity. I actually don't mind him that much...or at all.

Very nice post processing...great eye for the special setting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed