Options

Last Valpo Men's Home Game (all 5D2 photos)

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited March 4, 2009 in Sports
This past Saturday was the Valparaiso University Crusader men's last home game before the Horizon League tournament started. (I think they have their first game for the tourney tonight in Ohio or something...)

Anyhoo, since it's the wedding off season, my 5D Mark II was feeling mighty lonely, so I took her to the sidelines and got some photos... I've been a slacker this season w/ b-ball, sorry! Enjoy, feedback welcomed.

484051777_gar2r-M.jpg

484057334_y8sme-M.jpg

484050477_URTPT-M.jpg

484043554_dDbG9-M.jpg

484053672_h686B-M.jpg

484055740_Y36t4-M.jpg

484048781_4FxcW-M.jpg

484053161_dCbHn-M.jpg

484053278_Ewpci-M.jpg

484046462_NQZLp-M.jpg

484055802_vygtq-M.jpg

And as a bonus, 12. If anyone on here is bored and would like to try and remove the annoying arm in this photo.... let me know. I'd be willing to provide the RAW for you :)
484053028_5wUG4-M.jpg

Thanks for looking! If you want to see more, they're here: http://photos.cathoffman.com/gallery/7498801_kHmRU

Comments

• Options
    WalterSWalterS Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    ISO 4k wow, got to get me a 5D II fast, Nice shots!
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    WalterS wrote:
    ISO 4k wow, got to get me a 5D II fast, Nice shots!

Thanks, yes these were all 4,000 ISO... and 1,000 shutter speed at f2.8. :D
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    I'm far from a pro or expert, but for the "arm" picture, try a bit of cloning stamp. This is what I did quick & dirty. I'm sure with a bit more time & effort, it could be done quite nicely. Basically, I look for a nearby area to duplicate, and use the clone brush to do a stroke at a time; usually copying from just above or below. Just remember to release the brush after each stroke; if you clone from nearby and move to far, you may clone what was on the screen initially. Each time you release (unclick the brush) you essentially save your work, and the cloning starts anew.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    Thanks, yes these were all 4,000 ISO... and 1,000 shutter speed at f2.8. :D
    And I thought the 5D wasn't supposed to be a good action camera. :D
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    I'm far from a pro or expert, but for the "arm" picture, try a bit of cloning stamp. This is what I did quick & dirty. I'm sure with a bit more time & effort, it could be done quite nicely. Basically, I look for a nearby area to duplicate, and use the clone brush to do a stroke at a time; usually copying from just above or below. Just remember to release the brush after each stroke; if you clone from nearby and move to far, you may clone what was on the screen initially. Each time you release (unclick the brush) you essentially save your work, and the cloning starts anew.

Thanks, looks pretty good! I've just been very busy and haven't had the time / patience to try and fix it up myself yet... looks like you were able to do a pretty convincing clone rather quickly though. I may be more ambitious to work on it when my extra 2GB of memory arrives for my work computer later this week :) (mmm 4GB for lightroom....)

And yes mercphoto --- one of the biggest reasons I like posting my 5D2 sport photos is to prove all those folks wrong about the claims that it's not good at action!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    I was just remembering back to (what seems like ages ago) when you were posting basketball pics from a Rebel? and Sigma 70-200? :D How far you've come! These look great! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    I was just remembering back to (what seems like ages ago) when you were posting basketball pics from a Rebel? and Sigma 70-200? :D How far you've come! These look great! clap.gif

Yeah, my sports photo taking has progressed as follows:

Rebel XTi + Canon 70-200 f4/L (those sucked, not sure if I posted any of them)
    Rebel XTi + Sigma 70-200 f2.8 (my infamous slam dunk from last year was w/ this setup)
    40D + Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS (I upgraded body and camera over the summer off-season)
    5D2 + Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS (I still own the 40D, i use it mostly for crowd shots w/ the 135 f2/L now hehe)

It's quite fun to see how both my technique and equipment have improved since last season! My wedding work is equally as interesting to me too when I compare start of experience to now.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Wow! Great shooting, you got some very nice action Shima.....

and I am drooling over the high ISO, fast shutter, clean, clean shots!