• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization Breadcrumb "galleries" script update - bug fixes

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 2  of  7
1 2 3 4 5 6 Last »
Old Aug-23-2009, 10:11 AM
DBImpressions is offline DBImpressions
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend
You have your breadcrumbs hidden when not logged in because of this CSS in your customization:

#breadcrumb {visibility: hidden;}
#altViews {visibility: visible;}
.loggedIn #breadcrumb {visibility: visible;
}

Remove that CSS and the script seems to be working perfectly fine.
Gah, oops! Thank you!
Old Aug-23-2009, 10:14 AM
JLDTifft is offline JLDTifft
Big grins
Sad applied your breadcrumb-to-galleries tutorial here, BUT
Although it works fine, I tried to reposition it (in CSS space and header space) so it wouldn't bump up against my navbar. See http://www.jldtifft.com. BUT now a mysterious bit of text appears above it: var webServer = 'http://www.jldtifft.com'; var NickName = 'JLDTifft';

I've looked at the Firefox CSS information but cannot figure out where to look in my Advanced Customization to see where to eliminate it.

PLEASE ADVISE! Many thanks.

Jeanne Tifft
http://www.jldtifft.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This customization will make the top level of your breadcrumb point to your galleries page, not to your slideshow which is a lot more efficient for your viewers if they want to view different galleries than the one they are in.

While there are many versions of a script that does this floating around in dgrin, this is an updated version of that script that fixes a number of issues that some of the other versions do not address such as problems that could occur in search, in date search and when using galleries that belong to communities.

To use this script, remove any previous version first and then paste this into your bottom javascript.

Code:
// Script to change the breadcrumb link to your homepage to point to your galleries page instead of your slideshow
// It also changes that link to say "Galleries" instead of your user name

function AdjustBreadcrumb()
{
    // there are something like six different forms of the breadcrumb including search and keyword and date and communities, categories and galleries that we have to make this work for
    var tags = YD.getElementsByClassName("nav", "a", this);        // get all the <a> tags with class "nav"
    var filteredTags = new Array;
    // filter out any that aren't at the top level in the breadCrumbTrail (this gets rid of the relatedDate tags)
    for (var i in tags)
    {
        if (tags[i].parentNode == this)
        {
            filteredTags.push(tags[i]);
        }
    }
    if (filteredTags.length == 0)
    {
        return;
    }
    // default to targeting the first filtered tag
    var targetTag = filteredTags[0];

// see if we have a community here
    if (filteredTags.length > 1)
    {
        // if we have a community here, then the user top level is in the 2nd position
        if (filteredTags[0].href.search(/\/community\//) != -1)
        {
            targetTag = filteredTags[1];
        }
    }
    // make sure URL ends with a slash
    var str = targetTag.href;
    if (str.search(/\/$/) == -1)
    {
        str += "/";
    }
    str +="galleries";
    targetTag.href = str;
    targetTag.innerHTML = "Galleries";
}

YE.onContentReady("breadCrumbTrail", AdjustBreadcrumb);
[/quote]
Old Aug-23-2009, 10:19 AM
jfriend is offline jfriend OP
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDTifft
Although it works fine, I tried to reposition it (in CSS space and header space) so it wouldn't bump up against my navbar. See http://www.jldtifft.com. BUT now a mysterious bit of text appears above it: var webServer = 'http://www.jldtifft.com'; var NickName = 'JLDTifft';

I've looked at the Firefox CSS information but cannot figure out where to look in my Advanced Customization to see where to eliminate it.

PLEASE ADVISE! Many thanks.
Start by removing this from your custom header:

<div id="breadCrumb Trail>
</div>

It's missing the close quote (which is causing a problem) and this whole piece of HTML is not needed.

You can add some space above your navbar by adding this CSS:

#navcontainer {margin-top: 15px;}
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Old Aug-23-2009, 10:59 AM
JLDTifft is offline JLDTifft
Big grins
corrections made
Deleting that div did the trick...thanks! But I wanted to move the breadcrumbs down, not the navbar. So I just put your recipe after #breadCrumb Trail instead of after #navbar. Works fine.

I appreciate your speedy reply. Many thanks!

Jeanne Tifft

-----------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Start by removing this from your custom header:

<div id="breadCrumb Trail>
</div>

It's missing the close quote (which is causing a problem) and this whole piece of HTML is not needed.

You can add some space above your navbar by adding this CSS:

#navcontainer {margin-top: 15px;}
Old Aug-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDTifft
Deleting that div did the trick...thanks! But I wanted to move the breadcrumbs down, not the navbar. So I just put your recipe after #breadCrumb Trail instead of after #navbar. Works fine.

I appreciate your speedy reply. Many thanks!

Jeanne Tifft

-----------------------------------------------------------
I would suggest changing it to this instead:

#breadcrumb {margin-top: 15px}

If you look at your slideshow button, it's not very well aligned the way you have it.
Old Sep-18-2009, 07:47 AM
PaulBoth is offline PaulBoth
Beginner grinner
Maybe this should be a new thread?
Hi,

I've contacted support - but they couldn't help me and suggested I look here. If you go to this gallery, I've tried to set up an HTML only style page.

http://www.pgldesign.com/Investment/Ideas/9645661_ej3Fj

However, my issue is with the bread crumb. I only want the top level link to be visible - and remove the category.

So at the top I want:

PGL-Design > Ideas & Suggestions (or just a link back to the main homepage)

Instead of PGL-Design > Investment > Ideas & Suggestions

Thanks so much,
Paul

P.s. I've tried searching and haven't come across anything that will work. It either hides everything or nothing - unless I'm doing something wrong.
Old Sep-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBoth
Hi,

I've contacted support - but they couldn't help me and suggested I look here. If you go to this gallery, I've tried to set up an HTML only style page.

http://www.pgldesign.com/Investment/Ideas/9645661_ej3Fj

However, my issue is with the bread crumb. I only want the top level link to be visible - and remove the category.

So at the top I want:

PGL-Design > Ideas & Suggestions (or just a link back to the main homepage)

Instead of PGL-Design > Investment > Ideas & Suggestions

Thanks so much,
Paul

P.s. I've tried searching and haven't come across anything that will work. It either hides everything or nothing - unless I'm doing something wrong.
This post doesn't really belong in this thread, but I'll try to help you.

You should just hide the regular breadcrumb and put your own HTML above your banner. The whole page except for the breadcrumb is in your albumdescription so you control everything. Just hide the breadcrumb and put whatever you want in your own HTML above the image you have. Then, you can make it exactly what you want. That's way less work than trying to modify what Smugmug has.

Last edited by jfriend; Sep-18-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old Sep-18-2009, 07:31 PM
microcosm_1
thanks for positing this script :)
Old Oct-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Ken K is offline Ken K
Big grins
First, Thanks for posting this customization.

Second, I added the code to my Bottom Java script, but it does not seem to be working for me. I am sure it is something I have done incorrectly as my knowledge of this kind of code is minimal.

Any help that can be offered is much appreciated.

Ken

PS I have noticed that when the gallery is associated with a community the breadcrumb trail routes back to the home page but when there is no community the trail routes back to the Galleries.

Last edited by Ken K; Oct-24-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old Oct-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K
First, Thanks for posting this customization.

Second, I added the code to my Bottom Java script, but it does not seem to be working for me. I am sure it is something I have done incorrectly as my knowledge of this kind of code is minimal.

Any help that can be offered is much appreciated.

Ken

PS I have noticed that when the gallery is associated with a community the breadcrumb trail routes back to the home page but when there is no community the trail routes back to the Galleries.
The issue is that many communities force their customization and do not allow your customization. When your customization is not allowed, the script isn't present in the page and the breadcrumb doesn't get modified. It seem to be working in the one gallery I see that isn't in a community. The only thing you can do is remove the galleries from the community or contact the community administrator and see if they will change the setting to allow your customization.
Old Oct-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Ken K is offline Ken K
Big grins
Quote:
The issue is that many communities force their customization and do not allow your customization. When your customization is not allowed, the script isn't present in the page and the breadcrumb doesn't get modified. It seem to be working in the one gallery I see that isn't in a community. The only thing you can do is remove the galleries from the community or contact the community administrator and see if they will change the setting to allow your customization.
John,

Thanks for the reply. I really do need to learn more about this customization coding.

As it seems the communities are not much help to me I'll just get rid of them.

Thanks
Ken
Old Oct-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
John,

Thanks for the reply. I really do need to learn more about this customization coding.

As it seems the communities are not much help to me I'll just get rid of them.

Thanks
Ken
Unfortunately, the lack of your own customization is what ruins communities for many.
Old Oct-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Ken K is offline Ken K
Big grins
John,

So I just went thru and removed all the communities from each gallery. However, for all the ones that had a community link they still have the breadcrumb trail point to the home page.

Do I need to "refresh" the customization code or something?

Thanks
Ken
Old Oct-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
John,

So I just went thru and removed all the communities from each gallery. However, for all the ones that had a community link they still have the breadcrumb trail point to the home page.

Do I need to "refresh" the customization code or something?

Thanks
Ken
Make sure Appearance is set to "Custom" in the gallery settings. This is also required in order to allow your customization to be applied. If that makes it start working, you might try one gallery in the communities again. It is possible that this Appearance setting was the only problem, not the community.
Old Oct-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Ken K is offline Ken K
Big grins
John,

That did the trick. However, when I turn communites back on the custoization of the breadcrumb trail revert back. So I will have to do without the community link.

Thanks
Ken
Old Oct-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
John,

That did the trick. However, when I turn communites back on the custoization of the breadcrumb trail revert back. So I will have to do without the community link.

Thanks
Ken
Communities can be set to either allow you to keep your customization or to force the community customization. That's up to the owner of the community. Apparently the communities you join are not allowing your customization.
Old Nov-01-2009, 02:07 PM
JayClark79 is offline JayClark79
Major grins
Please Help
I copy and pasted the original code in this post into my lower javascript box... i dont know if i deleted to much of the original code i had there or not.. but now my /galleries page looks just like my home page and none of my galleries are showin.... PLEASE HELP

http://jayclark.smugmug.com

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.
Old Nov-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayClark79
I copy and pasted the original code in this post into my lower javascript box... i dont know if i deleted to much of the original code i had there or not.. but now my /galleries page looks just like my home page and none of my galleries are showin.... PLEASE HELP

http://jayclark.smugmug.com
If your site is actually http://jayclark79.smugmug.com/, then it seems to be working fine for me now. Did you fix it?
Old Nov-20-2009, 04:16 PM
eMac is offline eMac
Big grins
Hola jfriend,

I've just implemented the code and it works ok... however, I'd like the breadcrumb to point to Galleries just when the link belongs to http://www.eduardomachuca.net/galleries and any of its Categories, Sub-categories and galleries.

And not when the link belongs to my Category "Mexico-photographer" (should point either to Eduardo Machuca or Home). In my navBar these are Testimonials, Packages, Contact, About and Links.

Is this possible or I'm better off without the script?

*Added: still checking what the script does... it seems it solves the problem but then it becomes the problem :-)

I mean, before the script, everything pointed to my homepage (www.eduardomachuca.net), or slideshow as you call it, as the top level menu on the breadcrumb trail. After installing the script, now everything points instead to Galleries (www.eduardomachuca.net/galleries). So, the problem remains, isn't it?

*Added: please forget everything I've said, as everything is a gallery for smugmug... so there lies the "problem". The script works great and does what it says. Thanks.

Gracias!

Last edited by eMac; Dec-01-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old Nov-22-2009, 08:45 PM
printergirl is offline printergirl
Major grins
Oh my gosh! This is so awesome. I have been trying to figure out how to do this and ran across this thread. It is behaving exactly as I was hoping! Thanks to the original poster on the javascript! :)

Website • Blog • Facebook • Twitter
Page 2  of  7
1 2 3 4 5 6 Last »
Tell The World!