Options

Flash Cord

msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited June 11, 2009 in Accessories
Where is the best place online to get a flash cord? Ive been looking but havent found one that is more than a couple feet long. I would also like it to be uncoiled.

My last one shorted, a wire pulled out from the part that goes to the camera. I tried to macgyver it and attach it to another and hook up the two wires, it worked for a while, until I was infront of a client, go figure.

Comments

• Options
    jswhighamjswhigham Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    msf wrote:
    Where is the best place online to get a flash cord? Ive been looking but havent found one that is more than a couple feet long. I would also like it to be uncoiled.

My last one shorted, a wire pulled out from the part that goes to the camera. I tried to macgyver it and attach it to another and hook up the two wires, it worked for a while, until I was infront of a client, go figure.
    A great place for sync cords and flash accessories is Flash Zebra. I have used them and got great service. http://flashzebra.com/.

Scott Whigham
    Whigham Photography, LLC
    www.whighamphotography.com
    www.altashot.com
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    jswhigham wrote:
    A great place for sync cords and flash accessories is Flash Zebra. I have used them and got great service. http://flashzebra.com/.

Hey, great website, thanks!!!

They have a vivitar cord thats 16 feet, and has a screwlock. I wonder if I should get the regular version, or the screwlock version. I just bought a Canon 20D, and I guess the earliest version that has a screwlock is the 30D. I will also be using it with a Canon XT/350D. I wonder if I can get a hotshoe pc adapter that can use the screwlock for cheap. :D
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Now im trying to decide between the screwlock and the regular one.

They do have a nikon screwlock pc hotshoe adapter, but its $25!!! and doesnt offer a hotshoe at the top.

Does anyone here know of another version of this that is preferably cheaper and preferably still offers a hotshoe on the top?

The one on the site is
    http://flashzebra.com/hotshoes-shoes/0063.shtml
    Item #0063 Nikon AS-15 Camera Hotshoe to PC and Screwlock PC Adapter
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    I have had upto 30' straight sync cords in the past from Paramount......don't know if they still make thme that long but here is there addy http://www.paramountcords.com/

Also I never had bad experiences with paramount cords...they seem to be the better built..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have had upto 30' straight sync cords in the past from Paramount......don't know if they still make thme that long but here is there addy http://www.paramountcords.com/

Also I never had bad experiences with paramount cords...they seem to be the better built..........

Thanks for the link, its slowly loading. :)

On ebay, theres a bunch of auctions for
    Wireless Flash Trigger V2s for Vivitar 285HV DF-400MZ which seems interesting. This would defeat the need for a cord. does anyone have any experience with this?

I would love to go wireless with the flashes. I wouldnt have to wory about the slave sensor seing the other flashes, and I wouldnt have to woryr about pulling over a flash on a tripod that has a cord linked to it, which ive done more than once. :)
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Here are the wireless 16 channel remote triggers I use off ebay and i really like them.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Here are the wireless 16 channel remote triggers I use off ebay and i really like them.

Interesting, I wonder how much additional receivers are for this.

How long do the AAA batteries last you?

I see the reciever has the large phone jack, and it comes with a plug converter, but how do you connect that to a flash? It looks like a mini headphone jack.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    msf wrote:
    Interesting, I wonder how much additional receivers are for this.

How long do the AAA batteries last you?

I see the reciever has the large phone jack, and it comes with a plug converter, but how do you connect that to a flash? It looks like a mini headphone jack.

I use rechargeable 3A batts so I never worried about longevity of batts.....
    On the back side of the receiver is a pc connector.....so a standard pccord will work.....one actually comes with the kit.....but I had to buy 1 extra as i could not use the transmitter with out the pc cord (my KM7D's are non ISO hotshoes as well as the new Sony A models)

you can get a 2 or 3 reciever kit from the sasme resellar if you check their store out.....if just want an extra reciever they were pricing them at around $16....but that was nearly a yr ago........

• Options
    edited May 19, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:

I am really considering this now. I was doing a portrait outside, and the slave wasnt going off, I guess it was to bright. Then I wanted to setup a certain way, but the one flash was to far away to see the other flash, and the first flash was to far away from the camera for my cord. So this is looking pretty good.

Ebay has 4 channel and 16 channel. I am guessing the only difference is the number of channels, but that could be wrong. Is there an advantage to getting the 16 channel one?

Also, have you ever had any problems with it, with interfearance, etc?

This is interesting, but im concerned that it might be cheap quality and not reliable. I dont want to be in the middle of a wedding ceremony to find out its not responding.

And finally, is this easy to connect to regular flash units? Like the vivitar 285 and 285hv? the listing makes it sound like you have to get a special flash shoe with a 3mm slot for the plug, but the diagram shows a pc port on the underside of the receiver. Im guessing I could simply plug in the vivitar cord into that and all is good?

I emailed the guy on ebay, but no response.

Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    msf wrote:
    ... Ebay has 4 channel and 16 channel. I am guessing the only difference is the number of channels, but that could be wrong. Is there an advantage to getting the 16 channel one?

This is interesting, but im concerned that it might be cheap quality and not reliable. I dont want to be in the middle of a wedding ceremony to find out its not responding.

And finally, is this easy to connect to regular flash units? Like the vivitar 285 and 285hv? the listing makes it sound like you have to get a special flash shoe with a 3mm slot for the plug, but the diagram shows a pc port on the underside of the receiver. Im guessing I could simply plug in the vivitar cord into that and all is good?

Thanks for the link!

My research indicated people had many more problems with the 4 channel units. I purchased 3 of the 16 channel sets (1 receiver and 1 transmitter per set) and one transmitter was DOA. The others work well enough except that in my house I get strange results. Other locations have proven pretty reliable including using them in an old quarry. I mount one of the transmitters on the camera and use the second transmitter as a remote to set off the lights during setup and adjustment.

I have mostly used the receivers on studio monolights and have only tested them on handle bracket flashes and speedlights that have PC connectors/cords, where they worked fine. Yes, I have tested both the Vivitar 285 and 285HV flashes and they both tested fine. I don't recall if I tested them for distance but I doubt that I did.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2009
    msf wrote:
    I am really considering this now. I was doing a portrait outside, and the slave wasnt going off, I guess it was to bright. Then I wanted to setup a certain way, but the one flash was to far away to see the other flash, and the first flash was to far away from the camera for my cord. So this is looking pretty good.

Ebay has 4 channel and 16 channel. I am guessing the only difference is the number of channels, but that could be wrong. Is there an advantage to getting the 16 channel one?

I got the 16 channel ones just to be safe and also because i know in the near future my 2nd shooters will be using them and i do not want any cross fireing between us...............

I have 2 that I need to repair as I got really rough with them and pulled the wires loose from the pc cord connection.....this was no fault of the equipment as I was over doing a stress test and I know what it tkes to break it....it also cost me the pc cord andI have yet to find a vendor for the connector parts....:D

If your flash unit has a pc connector and the VIV's do have then yest it will work fine......if using the newer flash units that do not have pc connections then there is a $5.00 hot shoe adapter with pc socket that will work greatly.............

Was this photogearok? ? that I keep linking to.....that is who I have purchased from.

Thanks for the link!

Late again to responding....I am sorry.......answers above in bold....

• Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Late again to responding....I am sorry.......answers above in bold....

Well I purchased a set, and it worked well for me, so I bought another trigger *backup* and a couple more receivers. :) I havent used it in a studio situation yet, but hopefully they will work well for me. :) I really like the idea of not having a cord to worry about and knock stuff over with. : )

the receivers do feel a bit flimsy, as if it could pop apart due to the pressure fo the batteries and spring.

I wonder if you could use this somehow to trigger the camera itself wirelessly. could come in handy with some bird photography. : )