Options

Aboard a schooner

pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
edited June 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Last wednesday was a good day. The employer had booked a schooner for us and I managed to borrow a fish-eye lens for the day from a good friend :D

It may have been slightly early in the morning for a couple members of the group on the way to the ship.

570226550_CSREe-M.jpg

This is kind of boat we we're on, m/aux Marita is an all wood, two masted gaff rigged schooner. Built in 1947 just after the war when everything was scarce to help rebuild Helsinki. These ships carried sand (to make concrete) and wood from Porvoo and elsewhere on the south coast of Finland.

570272756_cTXom-L.jpg

Once we got on board the skipper gave us a short talk about the ship and the "it was thiiis big" tools to used to run and mend it.

570233050_4JwAP-L.jpg

Time to unfurl the sails and lose the engine.
570246617_QRABw-L.jpg

We had a fair bit of wind and were moving quite well. The crew had left the top sails out because they would have to be set from the mast and there was too much wind to do that. So we had a jib, staysail, and main and mizzen gaff sails.

570239994_wNeQ2-L.jpg

Here's the wheelhouse with quite a few happy people in it.
570252621_yZR42-L.jpg

Along the way some took all possible joy out of spotty sunlight, while others concentrated on staying warm by either wrapping in blankets or spending time inside.

570242489_sjLxw-L.jpg

570246357_MuJAW-L.jpg

570230180_JtVG8-L.jpg

Toward the end of our cruise I finally let go of the fish-eye and swapped to the portait lens.

Here's Anne,
570255680_zWoQW-L.jpg

this is Elina,
570258865_PLDnf-L.jpg

Nina,
570262709_r9Bpo-L.jpg

Markus,
570267528_F4v6K-L.jpg

and Mikko
570270046_JewYL-L.jpg

That's it I'll leave you with this - thanks for taking a look and please tell me what you think :D

570249783_4NxX9-L.jpg
Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Very nicely captured. thumb.gifthumb I usually don't like fish eye shots but these are a definite exception.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    What a great day that must have been, you've really captured the spirit of the whole adventure, and love the look and perspective the fisheye gave the trip.

I'll bet all you friends are going to love seeing these images, they are really well done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Cool series. Call it "I'm on a boat." :tiptoe
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 23, 2009
    Great shots...Normally I'm not a fan of fish eye lenses but in these shots it works. Great contrast and color. Bravo!
  • Options
    gnoojgnooj Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Very nice! The colors in these shots are beautiful.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Very nicely captured. thumb.gifthumb I usually don't like fish eye shots but these are a definite exception.
    captain78 wrote:
    Great shots...Normally I'm not a fan of fish eye lenses but in these shots it works. Great contrast and color. Bravo!

Thanks!

I was trying to be conservative with the fish-eye and resisted sticking it up everyone's nostrils. I'm glad to hear it worked :D
    Panther wrote:
    What a great day that must have been, you've really captured the spirit of the whole adventure, and love the look and perspective the fisheye gave the trip.

I'll bet all you friends are going to love seeing these images, they are really well done.

Thank you :D

I have heard mostly positive feedback, along with the customary "don't I look a bit sick in this" lol3.gif
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Cool series. Call it "I'm on a boat." :tiptoe

gnooj wrote:
    Very nice! The colors in these shots are beautiful.

Thank you, glad you liked the set :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/