Options

OCF & Dancers

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited August 8, 2009 in People
Placed this in the -Technique- forum but thus far has received zero feedback. So let's try here.

P L E A S E . . . . . . bare with me. I "think" this maybe fits here. The subject of people, in it's entirety, relates to my ulimate goal of shooting such images.

(Obviously not mine, but an example of what I would like to try and achieve)
0708_ailey.jpg

I have some absolutely beautiful dancers that want some unique images. I also have access to an open warehouse, 30ft ceilings, banks of windows that go from the floor to the ceiling, columns that stretch the length of the space......and a very deep desire to make this work. Technically, I don't know if it's going to happen. They and I both like the high contrast of side-lighting...shadowed faces, muscular definition, etc. The equip. that would have to be used would be my D300 and the SB 600. I haven't read much on triggering systems or studio-type strobes but would like to know if the above scenario/equipment would be a sufficient starting point to try and accomplish something remotely close to the above image. With ambient light, do you think it would be possible sans OCF? I can get speed out of the flash when used on the hot shoe or via my stroboframe and cord, but what would one need to make this thing "sing" as it sits off-camera @ 25ft? The girl's moves are fast and I need to be able to get the right moment @ the right time....and that's going to require some speed and ingenuity on my part.

Thank you all SOOOO MUCH for any advice! :bow
<!-- / message -->

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I can't see you being able to freeze the motion with pleasing light unless you use off camera flash. What able radio triggers for your flash? Also think about at least renting another flash.

Surely someone with more knowledge will chime in, but these are just my thoughts.

Caroline
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited August 8, 2009
    You'd be able to do it with multiple SB800's but not with just a single light. Depending on the window's direction, you might make it work but will have to use something like a bed sheet to soften the light.

I suggest reading some tutes on off camera flash and then maybe renting a set up if you want to make it happen. Of course, you'll want to let your dancers know in advance this is as much practice for you.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    If you can use the facility easily, and the dancer's time is sparse, perhaps you can practice on some friend who is willing to just jump around or spin to see if you can get the lighting angles you want. Looking forward to seeing what setup you end up with and the results.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Do they have access to a theater where a light setup could be rigged for you, or could they/you borrow theatrical lighting/booms to use in your warehouse space?

Just a thought....
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Do they have access to a theater where a light setup could be rigged for you, or could they/you borrow theatrical lighting/booms to use in your warehouse space?

Just a thought....

JUST FOUND OUT TONIGHT THAT THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION WOULD BE YYYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!!! You guys have no idea what lucky star fell from the sky and planted one of it's points directly into my forhead! Blood and all! Wooooohooooo!!! wings.gif

I was just given full-on throttle permission to start marketing myself as a studio provider in one of the coolest, hippest warehouse districts in Metro-Columbia. We're talking Soho district type stuff here people. I have a few images I am prepping to display before my big mouth gets my ass into trouble that it can't handle. Stay tuned!
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Congratulations!!! Looking forward to seeing the results.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site