Options

Formal education in photography & videography

MooseKillerMooseKiller Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited October 23, 2009 in The Big Picture
So I have been doing some soul searching recently, and I am giving some thought to a career change. In about 4 years, my wife and I will be heading somewhere warmer than Alaska, and that seems as good of a time as any to pursue a new vocation. Since there is time, I want to prepare myself as best possible... I have been an amateur photographer for years and still consider myself a nOOb. I have little experience with editing software such as PhotoShop. I have also just started poking around with videography and editing, and I am teaching myself Final Cut Express. Here's where I am at:

I already have a BSOE in Business from Wayland, so all my undergrad requirements have been met. My local university has photography classes but no real degree or certification, and nothing in videography/editing. While it is a start, I'd like something more as I feel some sort of degree or certification will help me be more employable.

My questions to all of you are:

For those who are employed, what type of degree/cert. and experience do you have, and where did you get it?

For those who are self employed, do you have a degree/cert. and do you feel it helps if you do?

Did anyone pursue a degree online?

I have done the Internet search (and forum search here as well) looking for the right fit. I will say that an accredited university is more to my liking as I want to invest in something meaningful, but I do not discount the technical education one can receive from a school that doesn't have accreditation. Schools such as Full Sail University seem like fun, but woefully overpriced (no offense intended if anyone attended Full Sail - In fact, I'd love to hear from you if you did)...

Also, if there is anything that I am overlooking, please let me know!

Thank you to all you DGrinners for your input! :ear

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    i believe that a cert of some sort does help.....do I have one.....no but when asked I point to my resume and the studios I contracted with and to my "wall of fame" - portraits of entertainers that I have done work for and that seems to help.
    It is had to find a school that does all of it - photography and video......Wichita State just started up their photo classes again in the School of Fine Art, until a couple of years ago the only classes offered was in the School of Communication and were journalism classes.....video is thru the multi media center which has the tv station also again part of the School of Communication -- journalism.......

I am looking at the NYIP ..... correspondence course from the oldest photo school in the nation....i believe....highly rated.

the net is full of schools but I still think NYIP will be the best.....of course for someone that has been doing it as long as you, the course might be remeadial ..... but that just means you could flay thru them and be done faster.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    I did NYIP to get started and it was a huge help. I will probably take a few more courses through them when time and money permit.

I have 3 degrees (unrelated to photography) from traditional universities and two from on-line institutions. I have to say that studying on-line (correspondence) is actually MORE difficult as you have to be very self-directed and disciplined. What you miss out on is the immediate feedback from the instructor and/or fellow students.

Whether having the certificate actually helps me get business or not, I can't say. Most of my clients have either seen my work at trade shows or been referrals from others. I'm just beginning to build my business now as a retirement income.

I've been a freelance writer forever and a photographer for the past 5 years, and supported myself, BUT have no pension to rely on, so I'm looking at a change of career (slightly) as a combination hobby/pension replacement. First, though, I have to find my niche. My livestock speciality (so far) hasn't proven to be very lucrative. I have learned, however, several ways to take promotional shots of bulls and their accoutrements and highlight 'them' carefully.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Thank you both for the info and the insight! I looked into NYIP, and it seems reasonable... I appreciate the feedback! mwink.gif
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Thank you both for the info and the insight! I looked into NYIP, and it seems reasonable... I appreciate the feedback! mwink.gif

FYI-I looked into NYIP, sent away for info, and procrastinated for about three months. After the three months they re-contacted me and offered me a discount of a few hundred dollars. I still am procrastinating, but if you are at a point where you can wait a few months after sending away for info, I'm sure they will give you the same discount.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    FYI-I looked into NYIP, sent away for info, and procrastinated for about three months. After the three months they re-contacted me and offered me a discount of a few hundred dollars. I still am procrastinating, but if you are at a point where you can wait a few months after sending away for info, I'm sure they will give you the same discount.
    thumb.gifthumb.gif