Big changes to SmugMug's codebase 10/15

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited October 21, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Every now and then as sites grow, the engineers have to lay the foundation for bigger things to come.

We've been working for many months on a change that has involved every engineer at SmugMug and has kept the testers working evenings and weekends for a long time.

Tonight we hope to bring those changes to the live site. We've performed an unprecedented level of testing and expect things to go smoothly, but we thought it only fair to let you know because this change touches almost every feature and page. We'll be standing by through the night to monitor the changes closely, because simulating the live site with its millions of varied users on test servers is a very big challenge.

If we do our job perfectly, the site will function as if nothing changed (except a few bug fixes) while warming our engineers' hearts with robust goodness.

The software updates we like most involve great new features, but this one still excites us because it paves the way for better, faster, more reliable updates.

All the best,
The SmugMug family

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Whew. Guys, all our Support Heroes and Sorcerers and everyone is standing by ... if you see something, anything, that seems wrong, broken or weird, let us know right here. Thanks!
  • iotashaniotashan Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Best of luck with the upgrades tonight!
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Every upgrade seems to be very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to it.
  • LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Always up for new features, like the one where you create a magical compressed pipe so it will only take minutes to upload 4GB of images =)

Or... I'll be happy with speed enhancements, bug fixes, and steady flow of new stuff
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
    edited October 15, 2009
    Linh wrote:
    Always up for new features, like the one where you create a magical compressed pipe so it will only take minutes to upload 4GB of images =)

Or... I'll be happy with speed enhancements, bug fixes, and steady flow of new stuff
    Not to disappoint, but: "If we do our job perfectly, the site will function as if nothing changed" :D

.. but after this, watch out deal.gif
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Not to disappoint, but: "If we do our job perfectly, the site will function as if nothing changed" :D
    Haven't heard from Brando yet, huh? Betcha something breaks there. rolleyes1.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Excited & Hoping & Praying all goes perfectly without a hitch thumb.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Cindy wrote:
    Excited & Hoping & Praying all goes perfectly without a hitch thumb.gif

BAM... It just dawned on me that they'll be nothing to see to know when your done... rolleyes1.gif
    just wanted to drop a hint and say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the twitter updates! SM you rock! wings.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Chris OChris O Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    So this update is really not new features, just solidifying and expanding the current capabilities for added reliability and future add ons?

I'm all for that. Too many websites get too gung ho about new stuff, and don't perfect the current.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 16, 2009
    Chris O wrote:
    So this update is really not new features, just solidifying and expanding the current capabilities for added reliability and future add ons?
    Exactly.
  • ebilflindasebilflindas Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2009
    I just signed up for a pro account yesterday deal.gif, and already there's an update! I take this as a good omen for the year to come!
  • RedFotoRedFoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    me too
    Linh wrote:

I'll have one of those too
  • envylightenvylight Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    RedFoto wrote:
    I'll have one of those too

I just tried the site i am in a trial mode (just 3 days now) and I see already an upgrade tahs cool. I am sure that I will pay for the next year for the prof. account
    edited October 16, 2009
    I just signed up for a pro account yesterday deal.gif, and already there's an update! I take this as a good omen for the year to come!
    Welcome!

This is the kind of update we all dread, because it's a long effort for all hands that holds up some very important features in the short term, so we'll be glad to be done with it.

But sometimes you have to upgrade the wiring in your house before installing high-powered appliances.
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Meh. I have a bulk gallery creation tool (for school portraits) that I wanted to test tonight.

Guess I should've finished it before 10PM. :-P
    edited October 16, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Meh. I have a bulk gallery creation tool (for school portraits) that I wanted to test tonight.

Guess I should've finished it before 10PM. :-P
    You're up late, west coaster.
  • robigoukrobigouk Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    so will there be actual changes/new features after tonight/today (I'm in the UK so not even lunch time yet!)?
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    SmugMug, where the Ochos flow like wine! thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • psenior1psenior1 Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    anyone else having issues - my site is now completely down...
    website - http://www.snrmac.com
    facebook - my facebook page please LIKE me!
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    I'm getting HTTP 500 now.

Malte
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    My site shows a blank page. I tried a few other members' sites with the same result. No error, just a blank page.
  • psenior1psenior1 Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    and back again now
    website - http://www.snrmac.com
    facebook - my facebook page please LIKE me!
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    I'm getting HTTP 500 now.

Malte

I'm back!

Malte
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    edited October 16, 2009
    robigouk wrote:
    so will there be actual changes/new features after tonight/today (I'm in the UK so not even lunch time yet!)?
    Not to disappoint, but Baldy said: "If we do our job perfectly, the site will function as if nothing changed" :D
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Awesome guys, I'm all for the reliability enhancements! New features don't mean anything if the sites are slow, or down completely. thumb.gif
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Broken, I can't get into my individual sales to proof and replace. The email links and direct links from the pro section take me to my main gallery page.
    edited October 16, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Broken, I can't get into my individual sales to proof and replace. The email links and direct links from the pro section take me to my main gallery page.
    Beetle, can you give me an order# pls? I'm checking your site now.
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    all of them Andy
    edited October 16, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    all of them Andy
    I know. But I need a #, Ed.
    Your order page is blank to me, too. I need an order number of one of your recent orders.