Options

Marie and Chris e-session

mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited November 13, 2009 in Weddings
Hey there!

I just got done shooting an AWESOME couple today. Marie is the lead singer in a local rock band by night, and a business exec by day. Chris is a Jazz pianist and a teacher. I am flat out in love with these two. I just can't tell you how much fun we had! As always any c&c you are willing to provide is much appreciated!

697073571_3cWvT-L-1.jpg

697075380_H7he8-L-1.jpg

697076308_EEXfD-L-1.jpg

697077186_e5VHK-L-1.jpg

05. I love this one. This is absolute proof that Marie will always have him wrapped around her little finger and also proof that Chris could care less!
697077845_oDq7F-L-1.jpg

06. This makes me want to pop a bottle of Martini and Rossi for some reason...
697066418_suudQ-L-1.jpg

07. I need to hit this angle of Chris real hard on wedding day. He looks like a model in this one!!!
697067540_adF4a-L-1.jpg

697069386_wziMx-L-1.jpg

09. OK... this was at a pumpkin farm 2 days before Halloween. They specifically told me they wanted a shot of a caramel apple with them in the background. Cheesy? Yip! I still like it though. Carmel with chocolate covered sunflower seeds btw.
697071626_H9PC2-L-1.jpg

10. In the corn field. We got lost trying to find the corn maze so we just helped ourselves to the corn we found! There were a few keeps here and I like this one best but am not sure if the stalk infront of Chris is too distracting. Opinions?
697072533_Nhshj-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking, and for any comments!!!!

Matt
My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Holy cow mmmatt! I think you struck gold with this set.

Loving each and every photo!

(So did you get the totally rad actions? Is that what I am seeing wth this fun processing style you got on these?)

(PS... did you know I always feel like I am stuttering when I read your grinner name?)
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009

(So did you get the totally rad actions? Is that what I am seeing wth this fun processing style you got on these?)

(PS... did you know I always feel like I am stuttering when I read your grinner name?)

Ditto ! thumb.gif

Double Ditto !! clap.gif

Double Duty Double Ditto !! !! ?? Please, please, please share that with us?! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Winners!!! Everyone of them. They obviously were having an ton of fun and you were able to capture it so well. She has a ton of personality that you captured so well. They are a great looking couple. Know they will cherish these photographs for years to come.

She will be gorgeous bride and he a handsome groom. Cannot wait to see those pictures.

Thanks for sharing.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    mtmcelvymtmcelvy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Great set!!clap.gif Fun couples are great!!
  • Options
    Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif

The photos are absolutely amazing!bowdown.gif I, too, am waiting to hear your answers about the processing. They all caught my eye and made me keep going back.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009

Well ttthank you so much Heather and the rest of you kind folks for the wonderful comments!!! Apparently Heather, you have not been hanging on my every printed word here at dgrin, because if you were you would already know that I have been using the TRad actions for about a year now. I can't say enough what a good investment that was. These were posted only a few hours after my returning from the shoot, and most of that time was spent culling out my early faves.

If you want to blow away your clients shoot them a dozen or so artistically processed images the same day as the shoot. I not only woke up this morning to all this from you guys but a long email from my client. I'm worried she is going to be at my door any minute to give me a great big hug!

Workflow is .CR2 > bridge > Adobe Camera Raw > .jpg > PS cs3. TRA's are the shiznit for sure! In thiz post you see "pool party", "awesome b&w", "rusty cage", "prettyizer", "bitchin b&w", and various doses of "lights on" and "vinnette and blur HQ". In many cases I run the action and then adjust the opacity of the layer to taste. Some of these are super easy to overdo.

Thanks again for all the kind remarks guys. I'm sure I don't have to say how much your approval means to me.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Apparently Heather, you have not been hanging on my every printed word here at dgrin,

I'll need to work on that for sure! :giggle

Now you did it. You influencer you. I ponied up and got them... yep the whole shebang. Now to figure out how to get them to look good!

(Actually I have been wanting to get them for a couple years and you just pushed me over the line between "gonna get em someday" to "gotta get em right now!")
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    I'll need to work on that for sure! :giggle

Now you did it. You influencer you. I ponied up and got them... yep the whole shebang. Now to figure out how to get them to look good!

(Actually I have been wanting to get them for a couple years and you just pushed me over the line between "gonna get em someday" to "gotta get em right now!")

Yeah... I should talk to tra and work out a commission! You will be hapy Heather... just remember a little goes a long way on some of them, but since the effect is in a layer or a layer group it is a simple opacity adjustment. Also, there are customizable settings within each of the layer groups. The pretyizer is a good example of this... fully used it makes for an over processed glowy cartoonish colored mess, but drop opacity down to about 30% and you get color-contrast-black level pop that is money! Also, if you don't get the exact look you are going for after running the action go back to the raw file and change contrast-exposure-white balance to get it done. In many cases I process away from proper levels in the raw conversion so that it hits how I want after the action. Feel free to PM me if you want my help anywhere along the line.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    i LOVE #3 *sigh*
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    i LOVE #3 *sigh*

Thanks squiddy! I like that shot but I'm getting sick of that basic composition. That is my typical e-shoot ring shot pose and I think I need to find another one. I added the leaves in the foreground this time though, and a tiny bit more dof than normal and that did help keep it fresh.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Well ttthank you so much Heather and the rest of you kind folks for the wonderful comments!!! Apparently Heather, you have not been hanging on my every printed word here at dgrin, because if you were you would already know that I have been using the TRad actions for about a year now. I can't say enough what a good investment that was. These were posted only a few hours after my returning from the shoot, and most of that time was spent culling out my early faves.

If you want to blow away your clients shoot them a dozen or so artistically processed images the same day as the shoot. I not only woke up this morning to all this from you guys but a long email from my client. I'm worried she is going to be at my door any minute to give me a great big hug!

Workflow is .CR2 > bridge > Adobe Camera Raw > .jpg > PS cs3. TRA's are the shiznit for sure! In thiz post you see "pool party", "awesome b&w", "rusty cage", "prettyizer", "bitchin b&w", and various doses of "lights on" and "vinnette and blur HQ". In many cases I run the action and then adjust the opacity of the layer to taste. Some of these are super easy to overdo.

Thanks again for all the kind remarks guys. I'm sure I don't have to say how much your approval means to me.

Matt

Beautiful set, Matt! thumb.gif

That pic I posted yesterday used one of the demo TRActions (the demos offer two sets for a total of 7 different actions). I have to say, colour me impressed - I knew TRA were very "in", but diddn't realise they were so flexible and really well done. I wish I had the moola to pony up for the whole set, but sadly there's no WAY I can justify that (especially not after my other expenditures this week!) I wish they did a "lite" version for a bit less money... I'd probably cough if there were a smaller less expensive set. I have some similar LR presets, but they really don't process as many different aspects of the digital information in the way the TRA seem to, so it's really difficult to get the same balance in the image. Like I said... I was impressed :)
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Beautiful set, Matt! thumb.gif

That pic I posted yesterday used one of the demo TRActions (the demos offer two sets for a total of 7 different actions). I have to say, colour me impressed - I knew TRA were very "in", but diddn't realise they were so flexible and really well done. I wish I had the moola to pony up for the whole set, but sadly there's no WAY I can justify that (especially not after my other expenditures this week!) I wish they did a "lite" version for a bit less money... I'd probably cough if there were a smaller less expensive set. I have some similar LR presets, but they really don't process as many different aspects of the digital information in the way the TRA seem to, so it's really difficult to get the same balance in the image. Like I said... I was impressed :)

thanks lady!
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    I'm drooling. These are beautiful.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    I'm drooling. These are beautiful.

Caroline
    Thank you!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Great job, the TRA's work really well the way you applied them. Were any taken w/ my old macro? Just curious :)
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    Great job, the TRA's work really well the way you applied them. Were any taken w/ my old macro? Just curious :)

Missing your baby there Ring Queen? Ha! No that one stayed in the case. When I'm mobile I take 3 lenses typically. In this case I had cargo pants on and threw a 4th (85 1.8) in a pocket. In this set it is the 135 f2L, 70-200 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L and the 85 f1.8. She commented many times in our first meeting about low dof shots so I was going for the bokeh goodness of the 135 f2L as often as I could. That was about 1/2 of these that you see here.

I doubt I will use that lens too much for shots other than macro shots. It's nice but not necessary when I have the 85 and the 135. I did use it some at a bat mitzvah last weekend though and it is a great lens.
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Missing your baby there Ring Queen? Ha! No that one stayed in the case. When I'm mobile I take 3 lenses typically. In this case I had cargo pants on and threw a 4th (85 1.8) in a pocket. In this set it is the 135 f2L, 70-200 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L and the 85 f1.8. She commented many times in our first meeting about low dof shots so I was going for the bokeh goodness of the 135 f2L as often as I could. That was about 1/2 of these that you see here.

I doubt I will use that lens too much for shots other than macro shots. It's nice but not necessary when I have the 85 and the 135. I did use it some at a bat mitzvah last weekend though and it is a great lens.

Gotcha, nope, I don't miss it all since if you recall I replaced mine w/ the L+IS version, hehe. Anyhoo was just curious if you've gotten to play around with it yet... looking forward to seeing what you create with it! I've often been known to shoot a few random shots of the couple from afar with it after I finish with their rings just because it's handy, but you're right, if a 135 is on my body instead, that will by far be preferenced for those pics! :)
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    1,4,5,6,7 are my favorites!

6 is my favorite followed by 1

3 isnt working for me, I think at least one of their eyes should be seen. Its really distracting.

10 is a solid image even with the stock in the way, but I wish it weren't.

Great PP all around!
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    1,4,5,6,7 are my favorites!

6 is my favorite followed by 1

3 isnt working for me, I think at least one of their eyes should be seen. Its really distracting.

10 is a solid image even with the stock in the way, but I wish it weren't.

Great PP all around!

Thanks for the input CJ. I agree about 3 mostly... just trying to recycle an overused (by me) pose. I shot a number of different angles here so I may actually have one that shows an eye or two. I will be finishing these up in the next couple days and will see.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    EketelonEketelon Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Ok, where can I get the action set? ne_nau.gif I can't "see" the photos from work because of firewall restrictions but I don't have to after reading the replies.

I'll look at the pictures when I get home though.
    Lover of God and Fisher of Men for Christ
    Bodies: Nikon D300 & D70
    Lens: Sigma 28-70/2.8, Nikon 18-70, 50mm/1.4, 70-200
    Lights: SB-600, Alien Bees 400 & 800
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Eketelon wrote:
    Ok, where can I get the action set? ne_nau.gif I can't "see" the photos from work because of firewall restrictions but I don't have to after reading the replies.

I'll look at the pictures when I get home though.

too funny. I really should get a cut of all my inspired action sales! here is their site http://www.gettotallyrad.com/#photoshop-actions-for-rockin-digital-photography-7a1d9

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    6 and 8 for me.
    Not a huge fan of some of the processing in these but you really captured their personalities.
    As far as the last one, it would be better if the reed wasn't right in front of his face but it is ok as it is, it still conveys the emotion of the moment....sometimes technically perfect just isn't required.
    Nice series.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    6 and 8 for me.
    Not a huge fan of some of the processing in these but you really captured their personalities.
    As far as the last one, it would be better if the reed wasn't right in front of his face but it is ok as it is, it still conveys the emotion of the moment....sometimes technically perfect just isn't required.
    Nice series.

Thanks Z. Yeah, I know you like your straight processing and that is all good. Actually as much talk as there has been in this thread about the processing, I almost wonder if typical processing would have still gotten as good of responses for these... I like to think so!!

These two were pretty easy really to get emotion out of because they oozed it. They are both musicians so they had no problem turning it on. Especially her... I would love a clone of this one!!! The shot in the corn field was super challenging. It was raining and windy and trying to squeeze some fill flash in there without horific shadows was tough. The corn stalks were flopping in the wind and to be honest I am happy I got this one! I think the rest will mostly be culled for various reasons. Good fun though! Thanks again for the comments

matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Hey Matt. I enjoy the compositions, the light and POV's. There are a couple that I think may stand out better with a different blend of processing. Don't get me wrong (as this is simply a personal preferrence thing) but some of the preset/blends take a little away from....how do I convey?.......the mood?

I know PJ is really "in" right now with lots of funky processing (heheh..I do it too)....but am thinking #1 & #2 may make a greater impact with a different blend...possibly with a bit more pop and color. I know, I know....it's a taste thing. The shot is good anyway so you can do what you will....Just thinking aloud here.

I LOVE #6....and possibly this is what caught my eye and made me start rambling...Laughing.gif. This conveys a mood.....a loving, laughing couple, subdued with an off color, muted convention. I guess here is where color and pop would accentuate the mood.

Disclaimer: All opinions and ramblings may be ignored at anytime. :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hey Matt. I enjoy the compositions, the light and POV's. There are a couple that I think may stand out better with a different blend of processing. Don't get me wrong (as this is simply a personal preferrence thing) but some of the preset/blends take a little away from....how do I convey?.......the mood?

I know PJ is really "in" right now with lots of funky processing (heheh..I do it too)....but am thinking #1 & #2 may make a greater impact with a different blend...possibly with a bit more pop and color. I know, I know....it's a taste thing. The shot is good anyway so you can do what you will....Just thinking aloud here.

I LOVE #6....and possibly this is what caught my eye and made me start rambling...Laughing.gif. This conveys a mood.....a loving, laughing couple, subdued with an off color, muted convention. I guess here is where color and pop would accentuate the mood.

Disclaimer: All opinions and ramblings may be ignored at anytime. :D

I can promise you that I don't ignore anything you say! You've been shooting weddings for 20 years or so right? Yeah, I'll listen! you look so young in your avatar though...

Anyways thanks for the comments. I usually stretch out my processing on a few shots from each group, and when I finally get back to finishing this set I will certainly do more conventional processing on other similar images. I have to say however, I have been getting ooos and ahhhs from my clients who have seen these varied processing styles. When I think true PJ I think of simple conversions such as what Aleksandras does... I want to be him when I grow up! I don't consider this processing a PJ thing though... These shots are mostly shot in a PJ style, but the processing is just a trendy thing in my mind. Processing styles like this are another wonderful result of the advent of digital photography. Couldn't do this stuff with film! Well, you could shoot a roll of Provia and then switch to some Ektapress on the next roll. Different world these days!

Thanks for all the comments Swartzy I REALLY appreciate it!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I can promise you that I don't ignore anything you say! You've been shooting weddings for 20 years or so right? Yeah, I'll listen! you look so young in your avatar though...

It's actually all the vitamins and snake oil I've bought over the years from MLM companies rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    EketelonEketelon Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    too funny. I really should get a cut of all my inspired action sales! here is their site http://www.gettotallyrad.com/#photoshop-actions-for-rockin-digital-photography-7a1d9

Matt

Thank you
    Lover of God and Fisher of Men for Christ
    Bodies: Nikon D300 & D70
    Lens: Sigma 28-70/2.8, Nikon 18-70, 50mm/1.4, 70-200
    Lights: SB-600, Alien Bees 400 & 800
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    It's actually all the vitamins and snake oil I've bought over the years from MLM companies rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

What... no link? Or maybe a DIY TUT so I can just get some snakes and squeeze my own. ha!
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Yeah, this set is nothing short of amazing. You really nailed it, and I can't wait to see the wedding photos too. I must have the trads! I've been experimenting with some freebie actions, but I need the good stuff.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2009
    Weisel wrote:
    Yeah, this set is nothing short of amazing. You really nailed it, and I can't wait to see the wedding photos too. I must have the trads! I've been experimenting with some freebie actions, but I need the good stuff.

thanks Weisel for the kind words. I'll say again how these two made it easy.

in other news... Originally they couldn't decide between fall or winter for the engagement pics. They obviously picked fall but now want to do another shoot later this winter and I will use both sets to make the sign-in book for their wedding day. Snowball fights and some sledding action? Yeah, I'll shoot that! Maybe I can get them to do a spring shoot too and we'll do a 4 seasons wedding/lifestyle album. That'd be fun.

Matt
    My Smugmug site