765173068_iFdLs-XL.jpg

765173390_cNnJn-XL.jpg

765173688_24atG-XL.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    ##3 and the last one are heart breakers. Made more so by the context. Excellent, imho.

Good possibilities for the current Challenge.

Va

Email
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    rutt wrote:

Great job, Rutt! Definitely #2, maybe three. Three would be helped with a caption and a crop, eliminating the figure on the left, coming down on the rightside of the camera man. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Great job, Rutt! Definitely #2, maybe three. Three would be helped with a caption and a crop, eliminating the figure on the left, coming down on the rightside of the camera man. clap.gifclap.gif

Is your numbering right, B.D.? I'm not seeing a figure on the left or camera man in #3.

Why not use the thumbs to refer to the pictures, there's no ambiguity? It's pretty easy, just use "Th" instead of "XL" or "L" in the URL.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I love #1.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 15, 2010
    Great set, Rutt. clap.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Is your numbering right, B.D.? I'm not seeing a figure on the left or camera man in #3.

Why not use the thumbs to refer to the pictures, there's no ambiguity? It's pretty easy, just use "Th" instead of "XL" or "L" in the URL.

#5 - With the t.v. cameraman
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    The caption for the last last three is:

After days of worry, a family reconnects with a member in Haiti.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Your photos tell the story eloquently, but thank you for the affirmation that the last three captured a happy moment. The human pain and suffering as a result of the earthquake are beyond comprehension. Photographs truly speak louder than words at times like this.

Va

Email
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Thank you for sharing this set. Wonderful sense of moment.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 16, 2010
    Great set. #2 does it for me.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    TomCollinsTomCollins Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    These photographs really bring the feeling home to me. You've done truly great photography here and I admire your courage to photograph these folks in this terrible time of despair. #'s 3, 5 and 7 feel like life happening before my very eyes.
    Tom C
    www.tomcollinsphotography.com
    “Art allows us to expand the dimensions of our everyday life.”
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    strong
    I like #3 or #6 best for the challenge. They may need captions, but make immediate sense with a simple caption and are both powerful pictures.

I like the waving off of the photographers in #6, because I think that's a statement on PJ, that the photographers are not invisible. The images are important and vital because they make everyone who wasn't there think, but they're also intrusive, especially in moments of distress (or joy). A caption might help tell this "story" (but, I guess, only if that's a story the photographer wants to tell).
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    The waving in the last three wasn't waving off the photographers, it was letting everyone know that they had gotten through to their family in Haiti. The woman in #6 was crying for joy and saying "Merci!" over and over.

This was an amazingly photographer-friendly scene. The people were giving interviews to the local news crews and compared to them, I was small potatoes.

I suppose the people had bigger things to worry about than photographers.

And, yes, I personally think #3 is head and shoulders better than the rest as a standalone image with the caption: At the Haitian Crisis and Relief Center, Boston 14 Januarly 2010.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    wrong receipient
    I like #3 or #6 best for the challenge. They may need captions, but make immediate sense with a simple caption and are both powerful pictures.

I like the waving off of the photographers in #6, because I think that's a statement on PJ, that the photographers are not invisible. The images are important and vital because they make everyone who wasn't there think, but they're also intrusive, especially in moments of distress (or joy). A caption might help tell this "story" (but, I guess, only if that's a story the photographer wants to tell).

:DHi sunflower and Rutt,
    I'm not sure how but somehow your replies are coming to me.
    Tom C
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    TomCollins wrote:
    :DHi sunflower and Rutt,
    I'm not sure how but somehow your replies are coming to me.

By what medium? And is it a good thing?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    wrong receipient
    rutt wrote:
    The waving in the last three wasn't waving off the photographers, it was letting everyone know that they had gotten through to their family in Haiti. The woman in #6 was crying for joy and saying "Merci!" over and over.

This was an amazingly photographer-friendly scene. The people were giving interviews to the local news crews and compared to them, I was small potatoes.

And, yes, I personally think #3 is head and shoulders better than the rest as a standalone image with the caption: At the Haitian Crisis and Relief Center, Boston 14 Januarly 2010.

Hi sunflower and Rutt,
    I'm not sure how but somehow your replies are coming to me.:D
    Tom C
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    by email
    rutt wrote:
    By what medium? And is it a good thing?

It's a little confusing to be getting emails regarding a post I didn't submit. I don't mind being in the loop of the thread, but the post(s) that sunflower responded to was yours, the response you gave to sunflowers post was to me also. So if sunflower was waiting to hear from you and was doing so expecting the dgrin.com profile to send her an email saying that you responded to her/him, they wouldn't get it...because I did. Does that make sense?ne_nau.gif
    Tom C
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 17, 2010
    TomCollins wrote:
    Hi sunflower and Rutt,
    I'm not sure how but somehow your replies are coming to me.:D

Hi Tom,

Your profile shows that you are set to automatically subscribe to any thread you post in and that you wish to receive email notification of new posts in those threads. You can change these settings in You->Options.

There is no way to only get notification for replies to your specific comments.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Hi Tom,

Your profile shows that you are set to automatically subscribe to any thread you post in and that you wish to receive email notification of new posts in those threads. You can change these settings in You->Options.

There is no way to only get notification for replies to your specific comments.
    O.K. I get it. Thanks.
    Tom C
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    That's interesting -- I really read the body language as waving away the cameras. Suggests perhaps my bias rather than the photographer (or a difference in body language).

In that context, I think I like #3 the best.
    rutt wrote:

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Great series rutt. I can't begin to imagine the worry for those with family in Haiti to say nothing of the devastated lives of those directly involved in Haiti. Our Governor General is of Haitian birth and struggled to maintain her composure during her press conference after the quake.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography