Options

Vivian Maier

MolsondogMolsondog Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited April 7, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Saw this on RFF: http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

Fascinating.

According the OP on RFF: "Her work was discovered by a collector at an auction in Chicago where she resided most of her life. The work includes about 100,000 negatives and about 15.000 of undeveloped rolls of film. Born February 1, 1926 and deceased on Tuesday, April 21, 2009."

Comments

• Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    That is a really fascinating story and site. I'll be looking through the photos more than once. I'd like to hear B.D. Colen's take on the woman's work too.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I thought it was fascinating also... already bookmarked it so I can go back and read/look more. Amazing -- and sad -- that a whole body of work could almost end up never being seen.
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    It is a fascinating story. There was another thread on it back in Oct. Here's a link to the other discussion I referred to.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Amazing story!

Thanks for sharing…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    It is a fascinating story. There was another thread on it back in Oct. Here's a link to the other discussion I referred to.

Thanks for the links!

Doug
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    vintagemxr wrote:
    That is a really fascinating story and site. I'll be looking through the photos more than once. I'd like to hear B.D. Colen's take on the woman's work too.

Doug

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, this is incredible work, really stunning. Much of it is on a par with that of the greats of street photography from the era when life was really lived on the streets - especially, as someone pointed out in one of the blogs, the work of the late Helen Levitt.

On the other hand, there's something a little to pat about this whole story. The more you poke around on the web, the more ephemeral this all seems, with links linking back to links and everything going around in circles. If the story is true, it certainly won't be the first time a virtual unknown was discovered after his or her death - the portraiture of Mike Disfarmer immediately comes to mind. Yet...Whoever shot these was good, of that there is no doubt. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Many of the photographs are really wonderful. In a perfect world, they would end up attributed to the one who took them. I hope it works out that way.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Thanks for the comment, B.D. It's a story I'll be following with interest and the photos, regardless of the story behind them, are compelling.

Doug
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    vintagemxr wrote:
    Thanks for the comment, B.D. It's a story I'll be following with interest and the photos, regardless of the story behind them, are compelling.

Doug

You're quite welcome, Doug. I really, really hope this is real.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 29, 2010
    Looks like this is the real thing:

http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=42,8,80&pid=A1hO97qcWo7ViDL_rWniVH2LakYxNa7J

Some of the pics in the video are simply stellar.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Richard wrote: »

Phenomenal story and photos. I'm glad the issue of privacy was eventually addressed in the video, as I found myself squirming a bit, thinking about this obviously intensely private woman's life being picked over and analyzed in such a public way. Interesting that she thought of herself as somewhat of a meaningless cog in the wheel of life - also interesting that even though she was private, on some level she did have enough of an ego to have recorded her own image on a regular basis.
    The photography is stunning.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010

Amazing story!
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    streetpetestreetpete Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2010
    They are great pictures. They give a real sense of what it was like on the Chicago streets of the time. I don't know what photographers think at the time when they take these pictures. They probably took them because they enjoyed using the equipment and liked the idea of the stolen moment. I'm assuming this as it seems pretty hard these days to end up with 1,000's of rolls of undeveloped film. Even assuming they're only 120 with 12 exps on them. However, the fact that she did it means we have this wonderful gallery emerging. Compare that to now, where people are suspicious of street photographers for various reasons. If we don't do it now, then in 50 or 60 years time there won't be the same oppurtunities available to really see what the unrehearsed world looked like. In the places where "proper" photographers wouldn't normally go. Pictures that seem mundane and boring now, will one day be a treasure to behold to someone. If that happens, the picture wins.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 29, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »

thanks for remembering thumb.gif

• Options
    mikepennmikepenn Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    This is the find of the century and the most significant thing to happen since Berenice Abbott introduced the U.S. to Eugene Atget. I have given John my support, donated money for the documentary and will continue to spread the word.
  • Options
    mikepennmikepenn Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Discovering unknown work by a known photographer is exciting. Discovering an unknown photographer of her caliber is beyond exciting.

Also the donations have topped the goal and the feature length documentary is a go !

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800508197/finding-vivian-maier-a-feature-length-documentary
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    vintagemxr wrote: »

Doug

I've posted on it a couple times, with links. She was fabulous. My first thought when these images appeared was that this might be an elaborate hoax, but I don't think it is. This isn't the first time a fabulous, 'unknown,' photographer has emerged after his or her death, and it probably will not be the last. Seeing this body of work is a reminder of how many really great photographers - and, for that matter, artists of every kind - out there who no one beyond their immediate circle of friends has ever heard of. Which means it is a reminder once again that Dad - Mom - teacher - was right when he, or she - told you, "it's not what you know but who you know that matters." Yes, it helps to have talent. (rolleyes1.gif). But if you don't have the contacts, and the drive, to get exposure for that talent, the talent will always remain a 'secret.'

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! to all.clap.gifclap
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Very Inspiring Story
    Happy New Year. I came across this story that I thought would be of interest to all of you here on the Street Photography forum. Here is the link:
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    Happy New Year. I came across this story that I thought would be of interest to all of you here on the Street Photography forum. Here is the link:
    Thanks. I moved your post into a thread in which we have been discussing this. It's a very exciting development, and I'm hoping to hear some first hand reports from the exhibit that's opening soon in Chicago. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Vivian Maier - You Gotta See this News Report!!!!!
    Woman's life's work finally comes to light.

This is a must see ... truly.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    Just bumping this because they added a Kickstarter site to try to get a documentary off the ground. http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

Beautiful work.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    So has anyone here seen the exhibit?

ear.gif
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    So has anyone here seen the exhibit?

ear.gif

I hope to see it while in Chicago in early April - may actually be the last day of the show. I can't wait to see her work hanging.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 13, 2011
    I am heading up to Chicago next weekend to see her exhibit at the Chicago Cultural Center

Maybe we'll bump into some other dgrinners there too!

I will have my Smugmug camera strap on my shoulder.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I saw the show on Saturday while in Chicago - just got there in time. Terrific to see her work, including some shots taken in Canada (I'm guessing Montreal). She had quite an eye. A series of her self portraits were included which was interesting. Her Leica and Rolliflex were on display as well.

Also caught the American Modern show at the Art Institute of Chicago (Walker Evans, Margaret Bourke-White and Berenice Abbott). The assistant curator of photography provided a tour that was very enjoyable. Well worth the visit.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography