The Event Marketing Help Thread

Comments

• Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the "SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing. You look better here." page title for every event has got to go. It should be "Event Name | Site Name".

I totally agree.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the "SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing. You look better here." page title for every event has got to go. It should be "Event Name | Site Name".
    Hm - bummer we missed this in the development... we'll fix it though!
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Hm - bummer we missed this in the development... we'll fix it though!

I figured it was an oversight. Guess it will be fixed this Thursday.
    edited April 5, 2010
    I figured it was an oversight. Guess it will be fixed this Thursday.
    Can't promise that - but I can promise we'll fix it.
    edited April 5, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Can't promise that - but I can promise we'll fix it.

Thanks Andy!

BTW, I posted a thread in the customization forum. Can you take a look at it please?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=164130

Basically I'd like to be able to change the way my events look, so they look just like my categories and subcategories (example: http://lifesharephoto.smugmug.com/Weddings2009/The-Jeffersons). I'd like to provide my customers with a consistent look and feel.

Is there any work being done in this area? It appears the gallery names are not links in Events, and the gallery names are truncated. Ugh.

Here's a sample event I put together. http://photos.lifesharephoto.com/share/omFo8WFt9NF7Y This looks quite different than my 2 column category/sub-category layout.
    edited April 5, 2010
    Thanks Andy!

The customizer helpers will help you for sure thumb.gif
    edited April 5, 2010
    Thanks Andy!

BTW, I posted a thread in the customization forum. Can you take a look at it please?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=164130

Basically I'd like to be able to change the way my events look, so they look just like my categories and subcategories (example: http://lifesharephoto.smugmug.com/Weddings2009/The-Jeffersons). I'd like to provide my customers with a consistent look and feel.

Is there any work being done in this area? It appears the gallery names are not links in Events, and the gallery names are truncated. Ugh.

Here's a sample event I put together. http://photos.lifesharephoto.com/share/omFo8WFt9NF7Y This looks quite different than my 2 column category/sub-category layout.

FYI : jfriend helped me style the events galleries so it looks like my category/sub-category 2 column layout. Sweet! What a guy. But the galleries names are chopped off and are not links. rolleyes1.gif

Baby steps...
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    The customizer helpers will help you for sure thumb.gif
    Already did, but the fact that the gallery names are truncated in the page means there is nothing that customization can do to fix the gallery names. Truncating at the server is particularly unfriendly to customization. It means we're stuck with truncated names no matter what layout we want to use.

Andy, do you know why events have a completely different gallery layout than categories and sub-categories? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Gallery names are truncated.
    There's no gallery description.
    Gallery titles aren't clickable.
    The layout is different.
    The div IDs are different so previous category customization doesn't carry through (stretchy, 4-across, etc...).

Though it's just yet another list of galleries, it's a whole new display and with the truncated names and many of the other differences, it can't be formatted to look like category displays either. This isn't really making sense to me why it's so different.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited April 5, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    Already did,

Noted, thanks John.
  • vickyeydelbergvickyeydelberg Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 19, 2010
    Is it possible to arrange galleries inside an event page?
    I've added a few galleries to an event (wedding), but would really like the galleries to show up in the order that the events occurred - so "getting ready" gallery first, "reception" last, etc. How can I accomplish this?

Sorry if it's already been answered, I've searched around this forum and haven't found anything.

Thank you!
    Vicky

http://vephoto.smugmug.com/share/Ie8PjbQbzcaNw
    edited April 19, 2010
    I've added a few galleries to an event (wedding), but would really like the galleries to show up in the order that the events occurred - so "getting ready" gallery first, "reception" last, etc. How can I accomplish this?

Sorry if it's already been answered, I've searched around this forum and haven't found anything.

Thank you!
    Vicky

http://vephoto.smugmug.com/share/Ie8PjbQbzcaNw
    Please please write our Support Heroes and let us help you directly from the help desk. Thanks!
  • vbetzvbetz Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Events of Page
    I always check my Smug news etc but wanted to t be sure I hadn't missed any modifications to this feature? Specifically the ability to post an 'Event' link right on my Clients(http://www.valeriebetzphotography.com/Clients) page in place of the albums I have there now.

I think I have read others discussing it but didn't see a solution yet, just making sure I am up-to-date. :)
    edited May 14, 2010
    vbetz wrote: »
    I always check my Smug news etc but wanted to t be sure I hadn't missed any modifications to this feature? Specifically the ability to post an 'Event' link right on my Clients(http://www.valeriebetzphotography.com/Clients) page in place of the albums I have there now.

I think I have read others discussing it but didn't see a solution yet, just making sure I am up-to-date. :)

There is no way to do this automatically as of now. However, you could certainly create an HTML page with links to events and thumbnail photos.
    edited May 14, 2010
    We just released an update to Event Marketing :D

• Just like the rest of your site, Events are now NiceName compatible. This means we’ll make a friendly URL from your Event name, so your guests can remember the links easily. But you can always adjust it if you wish.
    • Events (and Sharegroups) are unlisted by default, so your private galleries aren’t revealed even if you forget to click that button during setup. Don’t forget that this means the URL will have a code of letters and numbers at the end of the NiceName; include that when you copy the link. Of course, you can leave your Event public to get the simplest URL.
    • You can also arrange galleries in your Event, so click the new Arrange mode checkbox and drag your thumbnails get organized.
    • Sharing your Event just got a bit more powerful, too. Enter multiple email addresses in the Participant email field and separate them with a comma.
    • We’ve also given you Macros so you can easily copy and paste terms into your messages and ensure that you get the information right — regardless of how many guests you’re emailing in a go.
    • Have you revised our default share message and love what you wrote? Save it as a Template and use it again and again when emailing guests from that Event.
    Help page, updated:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/event-marketing
  • vbetzvbetz Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    Really!?
    There is no way to do this automatically as of now. However, you could certainly create an HTML page with links to events and thumbnail photos.

How would I achieve that?
    I imagine it would be similar to the 'clients' page I have now but would hold the events with a thumbnail - But the clients page currently has galleries so I didn't do any special code (that I remember).

Can you point me to or provide instruction?
    edited May 18, 2010
    vbetz wrote: »
    How would I achieve that?
    I imagine it would be similar to the 'clients' page I have now but would hold the events with a thumbnail - But the clients page currently has galleries so I didn't do any special code (that I remember).

Can you point me to or provide instruction?

Right. The fact is, it wouldn't be so simple to do. Everything works out really nicely with galleries. But for an HTML page, you have to clear out the galleries, create a blank gallery, and then enter the HTML code between <html> and </html> tags in the description.

You would then literally have to manually code a page to put all of your events into. It doesn't seem like that's something you're going to be able to do. If you really want to have this, I would send an email to some of the customizers on DGrin. They could definitely do it for you.
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    Multiple event marketing galleries from one gallery?
    How can I achieve this:
    I want to preserve my current gallery structure and create an event marketing page for an event. Currently, I put an entire event (for example, Bat Mitzvahs) into one gallery. When someone browses my galleries, this is logical because it looks like a single event (for example, Gabe's Bar Mitzvah).
    At the same time, I'd like to create an Event Marketing page, and split the event into its sections (eg, portraits, service, reception), like I did with Julia's Bat Mitzvah. The only way it seems that I can do this, is to split the event into three physical galleries. So now I have an Event Marketing page for Julia's Bat Mitzvah, but I also have three distinct galleries when you browse my galleries. If I did this with all my Bar Mitzvahs, the Bar Mitzvah galleries section would become unwieldy with 3 times as many galleries.

My site is here: www.liflanderphotography.com

Is there a solution for this? Forgive me if its obvious. Maybe I just need to reorganize the way I'm structuring my site??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    liflander wrote: »
    How can I achieve this:
    I want to preserve my current gallery structure and create an event marketing page for an event. Currently, I put an entire event (for example, Bat Mitzvahs) into one gallery. When someone browses my galleries, this is logical because it looks like a single event (for example, Gabe's Bar Mitzvah).
    At the same time, I'd like to create an Event Marketing page, and split the event into its sections (eg, portraits, service, reception), like I did with Julia's Bat Mitzvah. The only way it seems that I can do this, is to split the event into three physical galleries. So now I have an Event Marketing page for Julia's Bat Mitzvah, but I also have three distinct galleries when you browse my galleries. If I did this with all my Bar Mitzvahs, the Bar Mitzvah galleries section would become unwieldy with 3 times as many galleries.

My site is here: www.liflanderphotography.com

Is there a solution for this? Forgive me if its obvious. Maybe I just need to reorganize the way I'm structuring my site??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

This is exactly what I want to be able to do too!!! The only way I could figure it out would be to make additional, unlisted galleries that are smart galleries that pull from the original one by keyword (ie Julia + portraits, Julia + reception, etc) and put them under some other random category (doesn't matter since it is unlisted). Then use those for the Event. But this is a lot of work :cry I want Sub Galleries! :cry
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    This is exactly what I want to be able to do too!!! The only way I could figure it out would be to make additional, unlisted galleries that are smart galleries that pull from the original one by keyword (ie Julia + portraits, Julia + reception, etc) and put them under some other random category (doesn't matter since it is unlisted). Then use those for the Event. But this is a lot of work :cry I want Sub Galleries! :cry
    Why not use a sub-category for each event and then you can have multiple galleries for the event in the sub-category. That's what I do like this:

http://friend.smugmug.com/Sports/Barracudas-6x6-Tournament

I find that it's way more useful to the viewers to break the images up into multiple galleries than make them wade through one giant gallery. With smart galleries, I sometimes offer more than one view of the same images. To I may have galleries for each game of the season and have galleries for each player (which contain the same set of images, but organized differently). The idea is that the viewer can more easily zoom in on the images that they want to see and won't be put off by a gallery of 200 images to wade through.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    Why not use a sub-category for each event and then you can have multiple galleries for the event in the sub-category. That's what I do like this:

I find that it's way more useful to the viewers to break the images up into multiple galleries than make them wade through one giant gallery. With smart galleries, I sometimes offer more than one view of the same images. To I may have galleries for each game of the season and have galleries for each player (which contain the same set of images, but organized differently). The idea is that the viewer can more easily zoom in on the images that they want to see and won't be put off by a gallery of 200 images to wade through.

I like to organize by year as well. So I use the year as a sub cat within each category.
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »

thanks jfriend! your site looks very cleanly organized. i will try that for my event marketing pages.
    best,
    mark;)
    edited June 11, 2010
    New Stuff!: Event Marketing Updates http://bit.ly/ahplkK Enjoy :)
  • NostalgicDadNostalgicDad Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    New Stuff!: Event Marketing Updates http://bit.ly/ahplkK Enjoy :)

Absolutely happy with this new functionality! I know detailed help pages are on their way but one quick question since I have a big event shoot this evening.......When ticking the "Feature on Homepage" setting, I'm not seeing it show up anywhere. I do have the event in question set for "Public" also. Maybe in my exuberance I'm just overlooking something simple here?

Thanks a ton for rolling this one out!
    edited June 11, 2010
    Absolutely happy with this new functionality! I know detailed help pages are on their way but one quick question since I have a big event shoot this evening.......When ticking the "Feature on Homepage" setting, I'm not seeing it show up anywhere. I do have the event in question set for "Public" also. Maybe in my exuberance I'm just overlooking something simple here?

Thanks a ton for rolling this one out!
    Homepage, homepage layout button and click on the Featured Events to show that box, just like any other homepage box thumb.gif
  • NostalgicDadNostalgicDad Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Homepage, homepage layout button and click on the Featured Events to show that box, just like any other homepage box thumb.gif

Geez. Even simpler than I knew it would be. Haven't clicked on that layout button in ages. Thanks for helping out. :bluduh
    edited June 11, 2010
    I would never have found that without this thread. Why is it just there and not in the homepage customization tab in the control panel?
    edited June 11, 2010
    I would never have found that without this thread. Why is it just there and not in the homepage customization tab in the control panel?
    I'll find out.
  • TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Oh dear, after all the positive changes I KNOW what I am about to say is going to sound like a whinge :-(

The new events structure and especially being able to have people self register is great - and almost exactly what I was after... But when I clicked on the event my heart just fell....

Greying out the rest of the screen and putting THREE fields and a captcha in front of my users before they can see anything? Sorry... I wanted to use and like this, but I instantly hit the back button on my browser.

The solution is that the event registration info needs to be inline with the page and shouldn't stop users just clicking on an event gallery. I KNOW that it's only one click away on the "No Thanks" button - but the flow is destroyed the moment that box comes up.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider putting this info into the eventInfoBox DIV and not breaking the customer flow.

I so want to use this for a major event in a few weeks, but I won't put that mandatory box in front of my customers.

Cheers - Neil G
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
    edited June 12, 2010
    TalkieT wrote: »
    Oh dear,

Stay tuned...
  • TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2010
    Stay tuned...

I am NOT touching that dial...

Cheers - N :-)
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)