Options

Computer Advice Please - PC

Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
edited April 30, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Hi there. I would love to hear some advice on a new computer which its main use will be image management and editing. I personally have not really begun to research yet and was hoping DGrin would be a great place to start. I am really looking for a substantial upgrade in performance from where I'm at now without really emptying my bank account.

I do not play any games, typically just running multiple editing programs at once which is really bogging my current heap.

I was looking at Ziggy's thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=163249 earlier and this seems like a nice machine for the money but I am totally out of the loop on computer gear and would welcome any and all thoughts.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Current Specs: Dell Dimension 1100, Intel Celeron 2.56 Ghz, 1.00 GB Ram, Windows XP Pro

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited March 31, 2010
    I'm still looking at that machine myself. I have a Photoshop plugin that isn't available for 64 bit so I'm still limited to 32 bit Photoshop and that would be a little problem for me, so I'm hesitating. The rather large L3 cache would still be a big benefit in the new system, as well as a much faster hard drive access.

You will get maximum benefit from large amounts of RAM and 64 bit applications and 64 bit drivers. Drivers, as usual, are a major frustration with older accessories and devices. Make sure you can locate 64 bit drivers for any critical components or plan on upgrading them as well.

My plan for the CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1030 would be to increase the RAM to 8 Gig total rather quickly. I think that's a rather good sweet spot for performance and cost with Windows 7.

I would also use the included software to do a mild overclocking. The i5 processor included in that computer will natively ramp single cores to 3.2 Ghz as part of it's operation, and it will go to 3.6 Ghz through clock speed alone (without increasing voltage). That means that speeding up the clock alone and accelerating all the cores should be pretty safe, as long as the processor temperature stays at safe levels.

Later, either the Intel Core i7 860 or Intel Core i7 870 look like they should fit the motherboard for their Hyper-threading capability and extra speed. (Please do your own research to confirm this however.)

The included NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (PCI Express 2.0 x16) should be fine for 2D applications like Photoshop, and 1 Gig dedicated to display should likewise be fine. Upgrading the video card is easy and options abound if you feel the need later.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    I have a Photoshop plugin that isn't available for 64 bit so I'm still limited to 32 bit Photoshop and that would be a little problem for me, so I'm hesitating.

Ziggy, you would still be able to use that Photoshop plugin. When you install Photoshop on a 64 bit machine, it installs a 64 and a 32 bit version. If you installed the plugin, it would show up in the regular Photoshop but not the 64 bit Photoshop.

I have Color Efex Pro on 64 bit. There are no problems with it except for the fact that I have to use the non-default 32 bit Photoshop to access it. I just can't right click and open it with Photoshop through open with, that will open in the 64 bit version which lacks the plugin.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote:
    Ziggy, you would still be able to use that Photoshop plugin. When you install Photoshop on a 64 bit machine, it installs a 64 and a 32 bit version. If you installed the plugin, it would show up in the regular Photoshop but not the 64 bit Photoshop.

I have Color Efex Pro on 64 bit. There are no problems with it except for the fact that I have to use the non-default 32 bit Photoshop to access it. I just can't right click and open it with Photoshop through open with, that will open in the 64 bit version which lacks the plugin.

Ah, that's cool. OK, I think you helped me decide to go for it. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    The i7 barely out performs a high end core 2 duo, but it is a nice processor. I use it both in my desktop at work and in my laptop. Make sure to get fast ram and hard drives are important. I'd use one drive for the OS, one for swap for photoshop and one for data. Oh, and add a flash drive via usb for ready boost (make sure to format it NTFS if it''s over 4G so you can use it all for readyboost.)
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    sjhpubssjhpubs Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Oh, and add a flash drive via usb for ready boost (make sure to format it NTFS if it''s over 4G so you can use it all for readyboost.)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is readyboost?
    sjhpubs
    PortViews
    Fine Photographic Prints & Notecards with Local Color
    portviews.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    sjhpubs wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is readyboost?

Readyboost is new to Vista and Windows 7. Basically, windows puts commonly accessed files on a flash drive which is faster to access than the hard drive. This makes accessing the files faster and gives your system a boost. For my wife and I, we have both noticed reduced boot times on our laptops when we use ReadyBoost.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    The i7 barely out performs a high end core 2 duo, but it is a nice processor. I use it both in my desktop at work and in my laptop. Make sure to get fast ram and hard drives are important. I'd use one drive for the OS, one for swap for photoshop and one for data. Oh, and add a flash drive via usb for ready boost (make sure to format it NTFS if it''s over 4G so you can use it all for readyboost.)

The top end core 2 does keep up with the low end i7 920. However that core 2 duo costs over $1000 just for the chip while the 920 is only $200.

I noticed a significant speed improvement when I moved from my normal core 2 duo to the i7 920. I love the i7.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote:
    ... There are no problems with it except for the fact that I have to use the non-default 32 bit Photoshop to access it. I just can't right click and open it with Photoshop through open with, that will open in the 64 bit version which lacks the plugin.

I copied and renamed the 32 bit Photoshop.exe (the copy) to "Photoshop32.exe" and now I can associate files via right-mouse-click to open the 32 bit version.

It also allows file viewers and file browsers to differentiate between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Photoshop if the viewer allows opening associated programs against selected files.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    I think I am going to start a sh!tstorm here...
    but, I am IN LOVE with my Mac.

I did run a 64bit quad core AMd based machine (8gb ram), and It seemed to run grand.. Only, when I would have a bunch of layers in PS, I'd start running into issues.. eventually, winblows gave in..

That was the last straw for me.I needed something more reliable.
    I got me a 27" iMac.. I know it isn't pro, but boy does that thing fly!!! the other day i built a pano consisting of 35 shots, and it took mac about 45 minutes to stitch it together..

My previous experience was way more lengthy (5.5 hours for the 20.000px wide pano).

I did upgrade memory, though.. bumped it to 16GB..

as an IT person.. I was very much surprised how painless and logical the whole conversion was for me. Never thought i'd love an apple product, but now that I own one... I doubt that I will invest into another PC anytime soon.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2010
    The more I use this CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1030 the more I appreciate it for its speed, stability and capability. I'm still at 4 Gigs RAM and it's a screamer. I'm throwing 1080P video and 35 MPix, 16 bit images with impunity.

No need to buy a Mac when PCs are this good. thumb.gifclap.gif

Nothing wrong with Macs mind you, but the OP was asking for PC advise.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Good to hear ziggy. Can't wait to get mine!