Mini Challenge #95 - Panoramas

bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
edited May 21, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Panoramas

Begins May 6th and ends May 20th at 10pm (PST).

Panoramas are undoubtedly one of my favorite forms of photography. Whether you take a pan to convey a wider scale, or use it in conjunction with a zoom lense to get more detail and sharpness, or make a 360 degree view, panoramas are an art form which takes a good eye and practice (I'm still learning for sure).

So in this mini challenge, I would like to see the best panoramas you've taken. It can be a 2-shot shot or a huge 20-shot HDR pan. I know some monitors might be small, but for a standard 20 inch like mine, I can link a 2X Large format.

To get things started, here's some of my favorites that I've taken.

12 shot of Seattle and Elliot Bay

793180031_w4oPZ-X2.jpg

4 shot of Greenlake

505367731_CqWP8-X2.jpg

16 shot (210mm) HDR of the Seattle REI Climbing Wall

779715143_xk3dG-XL.jpg

16 shot (210mm) HDR of Qwest Field (Go Seahawks!)

759939457_GcwGx-XL.jpg

3 shot of The Gorge near Vantage, WA
496381907_TGJJq-X2.jpg

12 shot 360 Degree view of Mt Baker and Coleman Glacier

665952177_dwahq-XL.jpg
===============================
OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comments

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    1) Pelicans and Egrets
    633759811_WBGgg-X3.jpg

2) Looking back at Glacier NP.
    230660590_kcKsH-X3.jpg

3) Mono Lake
    155412208_wMMsH-O-3.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Fenway
    847196201_Unau8-L.jpg

Easy Street Basin
    840686396_rpnUZ-L.jpg

Sankaty Head
    841058056_AExSB-L.jpg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    wow. those are all spectacular!
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    This is a 7 or 8 shot pano a couple years ago for a sunrise over Crabtree Lake in central NC. The pastel in the sky is part from the early morning, and part from smoke getting blown up to the Raleigh area from fires in Fayetteville.

567077210_Vnnar-XL.jpg

A three shot pano from a recent trip to San Juan Island in Washington.

847652434_3Mroo-XL.jpg

A 3 or 4 shot pano of the same scene above... vertically.

567080790_mVhkU-XL.jpg
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Some great pans already! Keep 'em coming.

:D
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 8, 2010
    I only have a few panos. I should buy a proper tripod...just haven't take the time to do it. It take me forever to stitch 4 or 5 images together. The second one posted was my very first one with 4 or 5 images. Number 1 I did with with 3 images but I think my stitching together has improved greatly. CC always welcomed.

1. Somewhere in the Caribbean (my brain wont tell me which island at present time)...
    859371210_A5wgx-L-1.jpg

2. Hatcher's Pass Alaska...
    351428611_Ma2RM-L-2.jpg

3. Cook Inlet Alaska...
    360265873_bobaY-L-1.jpg
    edited May 8, 2010
    Those are some really nice panos Joyce! thumb.gif
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    #1 "Funscape".
    697748725_JcVWb-XL-2.jpg

#2 Caldecotte Lake Sunset.
    854124703_WjcDX-X2-1.jpg

#3 Welland Railway Viaduct. 3/4 mile long with 82 arches.
    834703862_VDyBt-X2.jpg
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited May 10, 2010
    Some really nice panos so far. Keep 'em coming in though. This is the only thread I can watch this week, so I need something to do.

:D
  • One OldtimerOne Oldtimer Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Hassan Mosque walk, Casablanca
    4599084577_0bb2bf5084_o.jpg
  • HappyBoyHappyBoy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2010
    Brad on Shasta (Shastina in background)
    Hiking up Casaval Ridge
  • LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Wow! Awesome work...I love panoramas! Still trying to learn it all myself.

(1)
    HDR Panorama of the Florida Capitol (Tallahassee, FL)
    716227154_LXK3b-XL-1.jpg

(2)
    HDR Panorama of the back of the Florida Capitol (Tallahassee, FL)
    716227124_fD5eS-XL-1.jpg

(3)
    Plaza de España (Seville, Spain)
    [IMG]http://rhowell.smugmug.com/Everything-Else/Vacations/España-Honeymoon/panoramahalf/864895148_mzo7G-L.jpg[/IMG]

Much larger of #3 can be found here

Last one is one of my favorites, but I wished the lighting was even...Tourist in the midday sun - What can ya do?! :-P
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Are you in Tally? I'm in G'ville and my bf is in Tally. Fortunately, he's not much of a Seminole fan and I'm a transplant so I don't have fanatical devotion to the Gators. Just mild devotion. :D

Anyway, these are some of the nicest shots of the capital I've ever seen. Great job! clap.gif
    LeeHowell wrote: »
    (1)
    HDR Panorama of the Florida Capitol (Tallahassee, FL)
    716227154_LXK3b-S-1.jpg

(2)
    HDR Panorama of the back of the Florida Capitol (Tallahassee, FL)
    716227124_fD5eS-S-1.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited May 12, 2010
    Kinkajou wrote: »
    Are you in Tally? I'm in G'ville and my bf is in Tally. Fortunately, he's not much of a Seminole fan and I'm a transplant so I don't have fanatical devotion to the Gators. Just mild devotion. :D

Anyway, these are some of the nicest shots of the capital I've ever seen. Great job! clap.gif
    Thanks! :-) Yep, I'm right here in Tallahassee! Go Criminoles!! :-P

Small world!
  • ckasparckaspar Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    This is a 10 shot Pano of Hanalei Valley in Kauai. I actually have shots of the entire valley but the file is just too big to stitch together. I have about 30 total pics that make a file of over 1GB. I may have to dumb the files down and put the whole scene together someday.

I am not sure how good this is but wanted to contribute something anyway. I don't take many panos.

865065406_h6TTU-X3.jpg
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    I haven't participated in a Mini in quite some time, but I love panos too much to resist! :D

Lake Hodges Early Morning Light
    816725830_BMzJc-X3-1.jpg

Carrizo Badlands Wash
    864234311_n6TxR-X3.jpg
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited May 12, 2010
    so like what type of software do you all use to stitch your panos together? I am totally amature at this and use pspX2 and copy and paste the images to a transparent background layer then align them by zooming in and moving each layer to the correct spot. Sometimes I gotta rotate the image ever so slightly because I so far have not used a tripod on any of my put together pano shots. I am curious what the experts at panos use?
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    I just use the tool in Photoshop Elements. It works really well for 90% of the shots I want a panorama of. I hand hold most of mine as well.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    JAG wrote: »
    so like what type of software do you all use to stitch your panos together? I am totally amature at this and use pspX2 and copy and paste the images to a transparent background layer then align them by zooming in and moving each layer to the correct spot. Sometimes I gotta rotate the image ever so slightly because I so far have not used a tripod on any of my put together pano shots. I am curious what the experts at panos use?

JAG, from this amateurs opinion I moved from CS2 to CS3 and found huge huge huge improvements in the sky blending in my panos. Not sure about anything above CS3 but that's what I have been using forever now...

btw, when I use CS3 for photomerge I never use "AUTO", I use "Reposition Only" and ALWAYS have "Blend Images" checked with a check.

I cant wait to move to CS5 for the "Content Aware Fill" feature!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 13, 2010
    Ah Tallahassee. I graduated from FSU way back when. Some very nice shots of the capitol! Is there still a law in T-town that no building can be taller than the capitol?

Lee, you're 3rd shot from Spain is sweet! I don't know what PP software you use. In CS4, there is a feature in Smart Objects called Median. I've used it a few times to take out tourist or traffic. It might be a little difficult to use for panos because of lighting, but if you take about 60-100 shots (with a tripod) then put them in CS4 and use the Median function, PS will merge all the shots, but take out everything that is not "stationary", like pesky tourists. I used it for a shot of the freeway at rush hour to show a completely empty freeway. It's a pretty cool feature.
    edited May 13, 2010
    JAG, from this amateurs opinion I moved from CS2 to CS3 and found huge huge huge improvements in the sky blending in my panos. Not sure about anything above CS3 but that's what I have been using forever now...

btw, when I use CS3 for photomerge I never use "AUTO", I use "Reposition Only" and ALWAYS have "Blend Images" checked with a check.

I cant wait to move to CS5 for the "Content Aware Fill" feature!

I do have CS4 and really havent learned to use it other than using the 'bridge' feature to get my photos and use as basic adjustments if needed. I have used corel psp products for years...I guess I should go back to those lydia tutorials and see if I can figure some of it out.
    edited May 13, 2010
    bf2015 wrote: »
    Ah Tallahassee. I graduated from FSU way back when. Some very nice shots of the capitol! Is there still a law in T-town that no building can be taller than the capitol?

Lee, you're 3rd shot from Spain is sweet! I don't know what PP software you use. In CS4, there is a feature in Smart Objects called Median. I've used it a few times to take out tourist or traffic. It might be a little difficult to use for panos because of lighting, but if you take about 60-100 shots (with a tripod) then put them in CS4 and use the Median function, PS will merge all the shots, but take out everything that is not "stationary", like pesky tourists. I used it for a shot of the freeway at rush hour to show a completely empty freeway. It's a pretty cool feature.

Oh that sounds like an awesome feature!
    edited May 13, 2010
    JAG wrote: »

Joyce,

I use PS CS4 for some of my panos. For the really complex ones I use a program called PTGUI. If it's an HDR, usually I will PP the HDR, then stitch the HDR shots into a pano. The biggest part (and learning curve) I've found is actually taking the shots. I do use a tripod mostly, but it isn't a requirement. I usually start from left to right than up right to left and so on trying to overlap each shot by about 20% of the last one. Sunsets are the hardest because you have limited time. The 12 shot Seattle and Elliot Bay that I posted was taken over about a 5 minute period. Definitely not enough time for HDR.
    edited May 13, 2010
    bf2015 wrote: »

Love the Tallahassee Love!! :D I say ciao because I'm fancy from Tallahassee (Sorry...Couldn't resist!)

Yeah - I think they still have that restriction...Not sure if it's written code, or just one of those unspoken truths...But I know they are still actively trying to keep the Live Oaks downtown and reduce construction on highrises...Although our skyline IS slowly growing...I'd rather keep the canopy roads than gain a few taller buildings though, that's for sure :-)

Thanks for that tip on the median function!! I never even knew that was there...I'll have to give it a shot sometime! thumb.gif
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    A few of my old favorites
    Jag... I have used an application called autopano since version 1 and have found it to be one of the best when blending things automagically. The first image in the following series was done in 2005 with PTgui and a lot of manual work in Photoshop. This was back when I had a computer that would quite easily choke on the over 1000Mb file that the full version of it was. It is a 3 band hand held pano shot from the top of the Empress hotel in Victoria during the Tall ships celebration. The other two were done in early versions of autopano.

Rattenbury's View
    865899213_qS5UH-XL-1.jpg

Water, Rocks, Waves
    143101774_NCFm6-XL-19.jpg

Water, Rocks, Sky
    143330823_9UejJ-XL-17.jpg

(These are just for sharing not to be put into the final judging, thanks)
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »

(These are just for sharing not to be put into the final judging, thanks)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the moderators participating in the challenges. As a matter of fact, I think they should as long as they are not the ones that are judging.

Nice Panos, btw.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited May 13, 2010
    Sean, there has never been a problem before... Richard won one of these awhile back and I didnt see any crying......
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 13, 2010
    I'm loving this theme....and the entries so far!

This 180 pano is of Monument Valley looking from Hunts Mesa.
    Over on the left you can spot Mittens, in the center of the pano you can find Todem Pole..... An Amazing place...

Sunrise

854967072_n6vEP-X3.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    449191856_NCPKx-X3.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Gorgeous pano, Alex! Love the clarity of it.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer