Options

Winner of Mini 97 (self portraits)

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited June 30, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Really enjoyed heading up this round.

Here goes--I will do a quick comment on the entries.
WhatSheSaw--this one is my favorite one from your entries.
793814828_Ftgq8-L.jpg
Love the silhouette and the blue color along with your title. I also think your current entry in the "knowledge" challenge is very strong and made me laugh out loud.

Joe:
Really like where you went with this sp. It's a little bizarre, but that's what makes me like it, and I love the use of the b&w. It almost looks like you are stalking yourself "no more photos please", yet you are the one taking it. That's my take on it, but again a strong entry.
714503417_vgX4e-L.jpg

JAG:
You are the SP queen. You were one of the ones I thought of when I decided to go with this round and I hoped that you would participate.
This one just really hit home for me. Well done, love the storytelling in this shot.
483101868_bk6Sq-L-3.jpg

Greg:
Your story to go along with this shot cracked me up. I can see why Getty would want this image though. I remember it when you first entered it for a Mega. It was a strong entry then and remains so, glad you are getting so much out of it.
896696927_dDrTb-L.jpg

Cuban:
Love the intensity in the eyes on this as well as your processing.
562068057_XkiVm-L.jpg

Dave:
While I enjoyed all your entries (can't believe you took a SP while getting a ticket:rofl--crazy), this is my favorite one of yours. I don't know how you did it, but it is just very cool. Very original.
482482189_YtMxC-L.jpg

Sean:
I know it's for sharing only, but I had to comment anyway.
This is a seriously intense image--I mean YAOZA! Love the eyes--i think it would almost be sexy, if it wasn't called "the collector" and had all the sawing tools in the back. I can see why your wife finds it creepy--it's a fine line that one creepy/sexy, lol. I also had no idea your hair was so long--love the things one finds out with selfportraits.
249586358_iPwQx-O-2.jpg

Trish,
:) love that you did that for the hubby, bet he loved them. It takes guts to do it too. While image #2 is quite lovely, I enjoyed the close up of the lower half of your face with your hands and rings. I'm not sure what it is about this image, that make me like it so.
901617386_ipqkT-M.jpg

Andrew,
I remember this one! It resonated with so many people too, I think all could feel your pain. I'm still waiting for the "new one" :)
681689584_7ZJMZ-M.jpg

CJ99si--Hey "MAN":D. Again, love how you find out new things about your fellow dgrinners when you see a sp. Funny how you said you had to start acting more manly around here. I like the b&w on this, but once I read Will's description that's all I could see :rofl. It's a shame you only have one, I can see that you are imaginative and could come up with some fun selfportraits, to me you also look comfortable in front of the camera.
790634954_NZHti-L-2.jpg

Tatiana,
I like this shot--it speaks to the "street" photographer in me:) Again, love the b&w and all the reflections, it's a little confusing, a little cluttered, but I like it as is, and like it was already said, that's how people see you. Great sp of a photographer.
558988460_ToEGA-L-2.jpg

Cuong,
I don't know how you managed such sharpness and clarity while spinning like that. Great sense of movement and a very original SP. I'm a little seasick now, but that's ok.
714660687_PVVKX-L.jpg

Simpsonbrothers,
All I see is an little red X now:scratch But I did see it before and I can still see it on my phone. I am sorry I can't attach it to this post because I really enjoyed your processing of this shot. Aptly named.

Adam,
Sweet SP with the sweetheart. Makes me want to do one with my husband.
I like the location you chose. I know the lighting had to be difficult.
761118670_XVyTS-L.jpg

Peter,
While I like the first one, I enjoyed this one the most. Love the sense of peace you captured in this shot and your title.
912904664_p8s5F-L.jpg

Brian,
Yikes man! this one continues to creep me out. It is an awesome SP though. Don't know how you did it, but it's really fantastic:clap. I also enjoyed your first one. You have got to keep at this. I hope you share more of them in the future.
699099031_xEXnh-L.jpg

Amanda,
I like your composition on this shot and how comfortable you look in front of the camer with just a hint of a smile. I also really like how you processed this shot. I have yet to work with flashes etc, I just use natural light, so :clap for working with lights to get this done by yourself.
521434955_asyWL-M-8.jpg

Dan,
Cheater, lol--ok took me a bit to find you on this one. I had to laugh though, you have a great sense of humor. But seeing as to how I love Pablo Neruda, I had to go with this one :D.
915498049_RWDGN-L.jpg

AND THE WINNERS ARE:

Third place
Kinkajou--for one of the most honest, down to earth and powerful SP's. Just beautiful woman!
713103853_UznJQ-L.jpg

Second Place
AZZARO-
While I love the second one because you know I'm a fan of your processing, this one just is very moving to me. I love the processing, i love the shaded areas and softness, and your expression. Again just beautiful.:lust.
908145546_UphZw-L.jpg

and First place goes to--drumroll please.
Winner is Will Davis--For the Vintage sp Circa mid 1970's. :clap
One word "Coolness"--Love everything about this shot--from the setting, the concept, the outfit:) and your expressions and body language.
It also makes me want to do more selfportraits so I can look back on them, much like this one.
625551186_AbcQM-M-1.jpg

Your turn Will--can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thank you all for participating, and to all the ones who took a new shot just for this challenge, I'm honored.

PS: Aaron--thanks for your comment. Too late to enter it now?:D
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Congrats, Will!!! Very cool, especially given the technology of the time. clap.gifclapclap.gifbowdown.gifbow

Kudos also to Kinkajou and Azzaro! thumb.gif

Thanks, Liz for all your feedback in this round of judging! clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    I was thinking the end of June was still 2 weeks away. Lame brain!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Wonderful photographs all and superb, thoughtful comments by Liz. Wow!! Congratulations to Will and to all of you who entered. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Well…

…I'm absolutely gobsmacked (as they would say in the old country!)

When I saw the standard of some of the other entries I thought there's no way that any of mine had the slightest chance!

…and to think I very nearly swapped that one out! eek7.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Anyway, congratulations to Kinkajou and Azzaro! …and thank you very much one and all for making it competitive, and thanks Lizzard for choosing such a neat subject!

…now I really need to think… hmmmmmmm… let's see now………

thumb.gif

- Wil

(BTW - what a great burfday prezzie! (yesterday for those who care…) thank you! thank you! thank you… multi hugs & iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif )

(BTW2 - if anyone's interested as to how it was done, I think I might have mentioned it in a previous thread… don't forget that back in the mid-1970s, PhotoShop was just a twinkle in the eyes of The Brothers Knoll…)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Congratulations Wil! Indeed a GROOOOVY shot :)!
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Congrats all! What a creative collection of entries from which to choose. I don't know how you did it Liz.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 29, 2010
    Congrates Wil!!!! Super image!
    Thanks Liz for taking the time to give so much feedback to everyone! You totally rock!
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Whoa!!! Totally unexpected! Thank you so much! There were SO MANY great SPs. I'm glad I was not judging this round...
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Congratulations Wil!

Thank you so much Liz for taking the time to make so many comments for everyone. Your comment on mine was of particular interest (of course), but I really do love reading all of them.

I really wish you have entered your own awesome SP in the #8 round but I am happy you at least shared it with us. thumb.gif

P.S. My wife feels the word you chose to "almost" describe the image does not fit the picture at ALL, can you tell how much she dislikes it? lol3.gif
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Congratulations everyone for the wonderful SP entries. I especially enjoyed seeing them since it's always been something I personally have felt very uncomfortable doing. Unfortunately I do a lot of them since my family is pretty tired of posing for me. :-) Most of mine end up deleted. Great job!!!!!
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Congrats, Wil! Nice shot!

Thanks, Liz for a fun theme and voluminous comments!
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Congrats guys.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    I've enjoyed following this mini challenge...especially being new. Nice to put faces with names. Someday I'll mess around with SP ideas...I find that daunting. Congrats on the creativity and skill displayed here!
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Congratulations Will and all the others for such creative SP's :)clap.gif
    Tatiana,
    I like this shot--it speaks to the "street" photographer in me:) Again, love the b&w and all the reflections, it's a little confusing, a little cluttered, but I like it as is, and like it was already said, that's how people see you. Great sp of a photographer.

Thank you Liz for your comments iloveyou.gif

That was not exactly an SP, but as you said, more a street shot :)

I was sitting there and waiting for my husband, when saw that image in the window. As I always
    carry the camera with me, I was tempted to take a shot if it, but I thought: "Naah - it's not worth it."
    - After a while a looked again and said: well, why not?

When I downloaded to the computer I decided to keep it for some reason...
    - yes, a little in the clutter, a little confused(ing), but there is something I liked about it... maybe because it says "me" mwink.gif

Well, I don't want to talk to much about "me" here, but I'm glad to know how I'm seen by others... mwink.gif
    - Good that it's not like my current avatar rolleyes1.gif I'll probably replace that :)

Thank you again thumb.gif

* BTW: your last SP's are very creative clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Congrats Wil, really nice shot.
    Thanks Liz for taking the time to comment on so many of the images.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Congrats to Wil and all participants. Thank you Liz for another successful MC.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips