Options

Mini Challenge #98 winner:

Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
edited July 18, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK, time for the reckoning:

I'm going to take each submission, and select just one picture which strikes me as being closest to the spirit of the original competition. That's not to say that the others aren't any good, it's just that the ones I selected jumped right out at me with very little effort on my part:

BTW: For the ones hosted by SmugMug, I've been able to point to the small versions but for those hosted elsewhere, I could only use the links to the originals, and some didn't seem to work at all (sorry in advance…)

KevXman wrote: »
Street Performers - Florence, Italy
295267913_b6C5o-S.jpg

^ This one is surreal. A very "Pleasantville Moment"; it's almost like the seated guy is in a different dimension! Needs no context; great picture!
AndMan wrote: »

"Sharks and Jets"
909046622_s2jrh-S.jpg

^ Nice, but it's difficult to sus out what is going on without the context…

2) Bird Girl

767001145_jrEtv-S.jpg

^ I like the composition on this one, especially the differential focus!

DsrtVW wrote: »

Class in session
401747529_THuRD-S.jpg

^ I think this one is brilliant! I can't help thinking that the turtle in the front row is desperate to be excused! (it even has its hand up!) …and also the expressions on the turtles' faces are priceless!!!

ghinson wrote: »

3. Farm rainbow
857637429_uhhiZ-S.jpg

^ Like this one! Full bow, great composition! Right Place, Right Time! Great composition! Nice!
SeascapeS wrote: »
1. Don't turn your back....

125rw2o.jpg

^ Mmmm, well I don't know about this one; I think I'd be more interested in the next frame (the one taken as she socked him in the face…) …a bit far away, almost like a voyeur!

JAG wrote: »
1. "AWWW...who closed the diner?" (St. Thomas, USVI)
424697364_B5sXe-S-1.jpg

^ This one's great! …well seen and needs no explanation!

photo-bug wrote: »
#1 Starting the lift-of...

823528380_8RpHc-S-2.jpg

^ I love the intensity of the moment, and can just imagine him thinking "starting roll… V¹… V²… …rotate"

2.Didn't know I had this shot til I downloaded it. He is proudly showing off his first "missing" teeth and there she is, the everpresent little sister always underfoot and stealing the show. I have a serious belly laugh everytime I see this shot.
897349862_5HNdV-S-1.jpg

^ This one needs no explanation! I think the expression is priceless! (and there's that cute scene-stealer about to pounce!!!)

Kinkajou wrote: »
Teenage Mutant Yoga Turtles:
920540916_ZcAUG-S.jpg

^ Haaaaa! Haaaaaa! This one is really great! I just can't help thinking that the one at the back might have just had a "Baked Bean" moment…

(back turtle:) "…hey buddy! Check this out… …wheeeewwweeee!"
(front turtle:) "…jeeze Mikey, what d'ja have in that pizza????"

Another caption might be: "Hi Mom!"

…again, the expressions are perfect! Great job!

ChuBean wrote: »
#1 Bicycles Built for Tall...out for a walk in the park, these guys came riding up...

920626309_R4RP2-S.jpg

^ Looks almost like a collage… …seems almost like part of a surreal dream sequence! …especially with the PP.
sdways01 wrote: »
My Aunt's horse making faces at her sister

189185418_ww8v2-S.jpg

^ A "Mr. Ed" moment - I realise that it was grabbed, but I wish it were framed tighter; still, very well spotted and very nice job!
TLVoDra wrote: »

#3 My daughter losing a tooth at a theme park...while eating cotton candy of all things.
921289208_LuxJL-S.jpg

^ Arrrgghhh! Grosss! (but I love it!!!!) The tooth is in a perfect position, and the peripheral pride comes across very well!

davev wrote: »
579515454_583F2-S.jpg

^ Wayyyyy to go! Let's hear it for Big Mable!!!! Great timing!

Night Magic!
926868940_b98mi-S.jpg

^ Well seen, and demonstrates how important it is to have a camera with you at all times! Unusual to get such a great photo of what is a very elusive subject!!!!
lkbart wrote: »
A bubble? While you're playing??
905893267_8ijVW-S-1.jpg
And he never missed a beat!

^ Again, well seen - and timing is everything!

871781445_fyQuN-S-1.jpg

^ I like this one (almost missed it there!) great timing, and beautifully framed!

Juxtaposition
107684342.jpg

^ Again great timing! I can't help but wonder exactly what's going through their minds at that moment…
the creation of coffee

914028495_nqV9J-S.jpg
^ Heh heh! Well seen!
pickerbw wrote: »
1) "First night out and this is how you treat me?!?"
889168094_3f5Fu-S.jpg

^ Cute kid! …paint still wet!
ic4u wrote: »
3. Mom's Proud Moment (Yep, my daughters first official recital, and she's picking her nose)!
928324169_TjqTd-S.jpg

^ Haaaaaaa! Haaaaa! Great moment! Well seen and well captured! (…so what did your daughter think of it?)
jwear wrote: »
my 3rd
both of us scored this day

^ This was the one of the Osprey with its catch. Nice picture and well captured! (sorry, don't have link to small version…)

I think the ducks being frightened off by the sandpiper is a great picture; well seen and good grab!!!

The dragonfly BTW - great focus, but a bit near the edge of the frame, and the frame looks a bit empty - it looks like there are two flies near the bottom of the frame… …I dread to think what mischief they might be getting up to down there in the corner (!!!!!)

I don't have 3 at the moment so I guess I'm not in the running. :wink Thought I'd share though!

^ These are the "Motorcycle Crash" pics, and the timing is superb, and the catch is great; the only problem is that none of the important bits are in focus, on any of them, which is a shame!!!

dls wrote: »
2. Moonbow at Upper Yosemite Falls
892773476_XEHah-S.jpg

^ Interesting picture! Is it really lit by the moon???? (I'm totally confused…)

rainbow wrote: »
Takeoff
755983442_NpLcP-S.jpg

^ Caught at just the right time, and from an interesting angle! I hope you weren't hit!!!!

DJT wrote: »
3) "New Bike" - So what do you do when you buy a new bicycle in Vietnam and your only transportation is a scooter? How do you get it home?
927486294_JK9pE-S-1.jpg

We used to move bikes that way when we were kids; the important thing to remember is to steer the non-ridden bike from the middle of the bars (still got the scars from wounds suffered when I attempted to do the same trick by holding on to one end of the handlebars!!!)

Cdorothy wrote: »
Flying brass
934796051_De7yC-S.jpg

^ I had to really look to see the "brass" - I wish it had been more obvious!
unclejon wrote: »
sorry about the watermark....

Behind the back...
885868179_MwdGo-S-1.jpg

754504683_DQqmW-S.jpg

^ I'm missing something here! Perhaps I'm just thick or something (my apologies…)

Well, that's it:

…more later!

Later:

Drum roll…

Third Place:
TLVoDra wrote: »

#3 My daughter losing a tooth at a theme park...while eating cotton candy of all things.
921289208_LuxJL-L.jpg

Drum roll…

Second Place:
579515454_583F2-L.jpg

…and now (drum roll…)

The Winner of Challenge #98:
DsrtVW wrote: »
Class in session
401747529_THuRD-L.jpg

…that's it chaps!

Congratulations to the three winners!

Thanks again to all of you who took the time and trouble to enter; it's been great fun, and as I said before, these three winners are my opinion only, and as we all know, opinions are like noses…

…everybody has one!!!!

:thumb

:lust you all!

- Wil
"…………………" - Marcel Marceau

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Congratulations to all the winners and entrants!

And thanks, Wil, for taking the time and effort to make the selections and giving the feedback (looks like a tremendous amount of work)!
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 16, 2010
    Super work Wil!! And wonderful images by all! Congrates to DsrtVW for a well deseved win! Now your going to have to come up with the next theme, can hardly wait to see what it is!:lurk
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Will:

I just had to explain something about my shot - Don't turn your back. Two of those are my kids and the others are friends. Ha -I wasn't a spy....just a Mom on a deck with a zoom lens. The two in the front that are wrestling are my son and daughter. The point of the shot were the two in the back. Nick (big guy) was laughing at the two in the front and didn't notice the huge wave coming at him. Carly (pink bikini) was pointing at it and walking away. I thought it was funny.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Congratulations winners!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Will:

I just had to explain something about my shot - Don't turn your back. Two of those are my kids and the others are friends. Ha -I wasn't a spy....just a Mom on a deck with a zoom lens. The two in the front that are wrestling are my son and daughter. The point of the shot were the two in the back. Nick (big guy) was laughing at the two in the front and didn't notice the huge wave coming at him. Carly (pink bikini) was pointing at it and walking away. I thought it was funny.

Ah! OK - I guess I didn't get the wave thing either, but now you mention it I can see your point; my attention was on what was going on in the foreground! :D …as I said earlier it was very difficult to narrow it down to just three!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Congrat's to DsrtVW on the fine shot, and congrat's to Wil for weeding down the shots to come up with 3.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I will try and do as good of job as Will and the others have done in the past.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Congrat's to DsrtVW on the fine shot, and congrat's to Wil for weeding down the shots to come up with 3.
    15524779-Ti.gifclap
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams