Options

Idea for new mini-challenge...

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 15, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
We have plenty of challenges now that require us to use our shooting skills but we don't really have any that really focus on post work. SOOOOOO.... I was thinking it would be cool if we had a challenge where we would try our hand at processing one common photo. I thought it would be cool to see how each person would processe the same pic. It would be a great learning opportunity as well.

What do you all think?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    I like it. Whomever is the judge can decide on the image (and/or series of bracketed exposures). You could turn these challenges around more quickly. We'd have to decide on allowances for incorporating other images, i.e., add a new sky to the challenge photo, but it might be okay to leave this subjectively to the judge (or the judge could name a "Plain and Simple" winner, a "Fancy Nancy" winner, and an overall winner). How to take the reins and setup something like this?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    I really like this idea. Sounds like fun and a good learning experience.
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    +1...excellent idea and I'm looking forward to learning with this one. Even if it doesn't become an official challenge, we can always do this within regular threads too.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    An idea similar to this was discussed quite awhile ago in the general discussion thread

The idea and resulting discussion starts here

In post #638 I say this:
    sherstone wrote: »
    My thought and suggestion since there definitely seems to be some interest, is to suggest one of the winners of the mini challenge to take it upon themselves to put something like the idea together and run it as a mini challenge. A third and separate challenge format will just cause confusion and a fracturing of the users. Not my goal at all.

In the very next post I explain that there was a 50/50 split on doing this type of idea and so decided to put it on the shelf. I still feel that if the current mini challenge would like to try it out by a winner taking it upon themselves to start it then that is a great test bed for it.

I am very concerned with having yet another challenge (see my quote above).
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    I proposed this idea to Sean last Spring after I totally digested Llewellyn's Yeats challenge. The PP was awesome and I wanted to know how people approached PP. I thought if many people PP'd the same image, it might accelerate my learning curve on PP. The caveat would be that after the challenge (or as part of it) each participant would explain the steps they took to PP the image.

Even with variations in software, I think the basic filters, actions, steps, etc. would make sense.

Anonymous Cuban, I am still interested in the idea. As Sean mentioned, there was a mixed response. I like the idea of trying this out in the mini challenge. If it doesn't fly here, perhaps we could approach Nikolai on the Techniques forum to make it one of the assignments.

Thanks for resurrecting this.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    We have plenty of challenges now that require us to use our shooting skills but we don't really have any that really focus on post work. SOOOOOO.... I was thinking it would be cool if we had a challenge where we would try our hand at processing one common photo. I thought it would be cool to see how each person would processe the same pic. It would be a great learning opportunity as well.

What do you all think?

all you have to do is win thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 12, 2010
    now see...if I had remembered that thread when I was choosing a theme the last time I won the mini's...I would have chosen to do that over what I chose. I love doing PP and most of my images that sell are the digital manipulations images. I have a blog link in my signature that goes to my How To's blog and I have written up a few of my images that were in challenges here if your interested in seeing it.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Sean,

I totally agree with you. I think I am going to have to win this Mini_Challenge so I can test the idea. Wish me luck.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Start a thread that says, "Post processing Challenge #1" make some rules and a time frame.
    If it takes off, I would think that a sticky could be made.

This is how the mini's got going.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    This is a great idea Cuban. I've said it before that Dgrin is a place where you actually get to ask the master photogs how they came to create an image. Some are awesome at setting up before the shutter clicks......but others, the magic happens after. A challenge like this, it could be very interesting to see how everyone tackles the same image. Excellent learning tool in my eyes. Hope you win the mini Cuban!!! :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    Aspecto5 wrote: »
    This is a great idea Cuban. I've said it before that Dgrin is a place where you actually get to ask the master photogs how they came to create an image. Some are awesome at setting up before the shutter clicks......but others, the magic happens after. A challenge like this, it could be very interesting to see how everyone tackles the same image. Excellent learning tool in my eyes. Hope you win the mini Cuban!!! :B

Hopes so too. However, there are some really great images in there. Hope mine are up to the challenge.

The next hurdle will be choosing an image to use for the challenge should I win. Maybe I will create a thread to give people a day to submit photos and then I can choose. Or I will just use one of mine... create a gallery where I will post a high res copy then link to it.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Doh... So close! (awesome shots in that MC, no one can say you didn't try). Maybe next time. Got any medieval shots? I don't.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    ghinson wrote: »
    Doh... So close! (awesome shots in that MC, no one can say you didn't try). Maybe next time. Got any medieval shots? I don't.

Thanks... yeah, was pretty close. Stoked that two of my images made the cut. Closest to medieval I got is the entry of the fort I submitted for the last challenge, which I don't think is really medieval so I think I'm out of MC 101.

My Smug Site