Options

Announcement: SmugMug-PMS3, a UPnP/DLNA interface for SmugMug accounts

lispniklispnik Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
SmugMug-PMS3 0.1

I've just completed the first version of a ps3mediaserver plugin which exposes your SmugMug account photos over DLNA protocols. What does all this mean? It means I can watch my photos on the big TV in the living room via my Play Station 3, without copying anything locally. This is great for vacation photo slide show screenings, and even better with popcorn :thumb.

It may also work with other DLNA enabled devices.

It uses the SmugMug 1.2.1 API via. smugmug-java-api-0.6.0.

Once running, your Play Station 3 XMB will show a hierarchy similar to this:
Photos
    PS3 Media Server
        SmugMug Accounts
            youremail@example.com
                Recent Additions
                   (TODO)
                Albums
                    Album1
                    Album2
                        Image1
                        Image2
                        Image3
                    Album3
            otheremail@example.com

Comments

• Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    lispnik wrote: »
    Very interesting. I've been looking to purchase a networked Blu-Ray player and I was just thinking it would be great if I could access SM from it. If and when I do buy one (probably a Sony), I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    Very interesting. I've been looking to purchase a networked Blu-Ray player and I was just thinking it would be great if I could access SM from it. If and when I do buy one (probably a Sony), I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

I've only tried PS3 Media Server with a PS3, however there is an entire forum section dedicated to discussing alternative Media Renderers. Most of it concerns video rendering or transcoding though (perhaps image rendering works more broadly).
  • Options
    brecklundinbrecklundin Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    that's way cool...I have my SM account connected to my Roku box and can view it that way. I haven't looked in a while but there was an issue with odd scaling/cropping on the Roku's software so this could be a cool tool for those with a PS3.
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    Pardon the thread drift, but...

With the Boxee box now slated for shipment in November, I am really hoping someone develops a SmugMug app for Boxee.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    lispnik wrote: »
    SmugMug-PMS3 0.1

I've just completed the first version of a ps3mediaserver plugin which exposes your SmugMug account photos over DLNA protocols. What does all this mean? It means I can watch my photos on the big TV in the living room via my Play Station 3, without copying anything locally. This is great for vacation photo slide show screenings, and even better with popcorn thumb.gif.

It uses the SmugMug 1.2.1 API via. smugmug-java-api-0.6.0.

Once running, your Play Station 3 XMB will show a hierarchy similar to this:
    Photos
        PS3 Media Server
            SmugMug Accounts
                youremail@example.com
                    Recent Additions
                       (TODO)
                    Albums
                        Album1
                        Album2
                            Image1
                            Image2
                            Image3
                        Album3
                otheremail@example.com

What platform are you running pms on? I've been fighting with it on OS/X trying to get it to load plugins for a while now... no joy.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    cabbey wrote: »
    What platform are you running pms on? I've been fighting with it on OS/X trying to get it to load plugins for a while now... no joy.

nm. A few minutes after I posted that I had a realization and got it working.

It's a great start! A couple bits of feedback for you:
    • it would have been nice to have noted that the prerequisite isn't just ps3mediaserver, but the unstable beta ps3mediaserver version. Otherwise there's no plugin support at all. And of course since it's not 'released' yet, there's no mention of how to get plugin support on the ps3mediaserver website. So it wasn't until I had dug into code that I realized I was running a version without any support for plugins! :)
    • I really shouldn't have had to rely on capturing the console output and reading the error message to learn the name of the plugin's config file. Based on the notes in the directions page I thought you wanted us to put the config lines in the main ps3mediaserver config file, not a plugin unique one that happens to colide with another tool I use. :( Could you rename it .smugmug-psm3.properties?
    • is there a todo item to filter movies out of the photos section? Or for that matter to show movies in the movies section? Would be really nice to be able to playback video.
    • Any chance it could be configured to use larger images? pretty hard to zoom in and see details with the current size limits.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    Thanks for the feed back! I've updated the project's documentation to mention the beta version as a dependency. I'm sorry you put a lot of effort into tracking that down. I've also specified the actual name of the configuration file in the documentation.

This weekend I'm making some headway with the configuration GUI (no need to edit a properties file), adding several recent photos folders (e.g. Yesterday, Last Week, Last Month). I really like the your suggestion about making the photo size configurable. I think in the configuration for each account, it would make sense to add a "Photo Size" setting that maps to SmugMug API's values: Large, XLarge, X2LargeURL, X3LargeURL, Original.

I released version 0.4 just now which includes the configuration file naming change (note, it is .smugmug-pms3.properties, not .smugmug-psm3.properties as you suggested below), updated the documentation and I've also documented the TODO list.
    cabbey wrote: »
    nm. A few minutes after I posted that I had a realization and got it working.

It's a great start! A couple bits of feedback for you:
    • it would have been nice to have noted that the prerequisite isn't just ps3mediaserver, but the unstable beta ps3mediaserver version. Otherwise there's no plugin support at all. And of course since it's not 'released' yet, there's no mention of how to get plugin support on the ps3mediaserver website. So it wasn't until I had dug into code that I realized I was running a version without any support for plugins! :)
    • I really shouldn't have had to rely on capturing the console output and reading the error message to learn the name of the plugin's config file. Based on the notes in the directions page I thought you wanted us to put the config lines in the main ps3mediaserver config file, not a plugin unique one that happens to colide with another tool I use. :( Could you rename it .smugmug-psm3.properties?
    • is there a todo item to filter movies out of the photos section? Or for that matter to show movies in the movies section? Would be really nice to be able to playback video.
    • Any chance it could be configured to use larger images? pretty hard to zoom in and see details with the current size limits.
  • Options
    knitterbknitterb Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2010
    Here's a diff to sort the album list:
    diff --git a/src/net/pms/external/smugmug/AccountFolder.java b/src/net/pms/external/smugmug/AccountFolder.java
    index d2f352e..cef9299 100644
    --- a/src/net/pms/external/smugmug/AccountFolder.java
    +++ b/src/net/pms/external/smugmug/AccountFolder.java
    @@ -18,6 +18,9 @@
      */
     package net.pms.external.smugmug;

+import java.util.Collections;
    +import java.util.Comparator;
    +import java.util.List;
     import static net.pms.external.smugmug.SmugMugPlugin.getAccount;
     import net.pms.PMS;
     import net.pms.dlna.virtual.VirtualFolder;
    @@ -53,7 +56,13 @@ public class AccountFolder extends VirtualFolder {
                            @Override
                            public void discoverChildren() {
                                    super.discoverChildren();
    -                               for (Album album : getResponse.getAlbumList()) {
    +                               List<Album> albumList = getResponse.getAlbumList();
    +                               Collections.sort(albumList, new Comparator<Album>() {
    +                                       public int compare(Album a1, Album a2) {
    +                                               return a1.getTitle().compareTo(a2.getTitle());
    +                                       }
    +                               });
    +                               for (Album album : albumList) {
                                            addChild(new AlbumFolder(accountId, album.getID(), album.getAlbumKey(), album.getTitle()));
                                    }
                            }

• Options
    tntctntc Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Do Image icon's work? I'm serving to a Samsung TV instead of a PS3. So it may just be that my renderer isn't using them.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2011
    some enhancements
    Several months ago I made some mods to lispnik's module to add
    1. category/subcategory navigation,
    2. configurable image sizes, and
    3. support for anonymous access and "Visitor View" of accounts.

Lispnik took the changes and they're in his source tree now, but you won't see them unless you're compiling from source. He didn't put up a new jar in the download area.

Alternatively, you can get a jar from my downloads, if you want these features.
  • Options
    IASolariaIASolaria Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2011
    Mac OS?
    This is works VERY well on a PC (Windows 7)!

Is this plugin compatible with the Mac OS? If so, where does the .smugmug-pms3.properties file go?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    Yes, the the .smugmug-pms3.properties file should go in the home directory of the user running PMS3.
  • Options
    stefanstefan Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 10, 2011
    It does not work for me. Which version of pms3 can be used? I tried the final 1.50.0 as well as the BETA versions 1.50.0-b1 and 1.50.0-b2.

At the PS3 I'm able to see my categories and galleries. But whenever opening a gallery no images are found. And sometimes a DLNA error 2104 occurs.

Any idea?