Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS Mega-Challenge #9 (Déjà vu)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited September 22, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are eligible to enter this round (see below) you are not eligible to enter round #59

Welcome to the ninth Dgrin Sharp Shooters Mega-Challenge!
This contest will run from Monday, September 6, 8:00am PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, September 20, 7:00pm PST time (GMT -7)

Your theme ready for wide open interpretation: Déjà vu

A perfect quote from Bruce Schockett on his home page
There's a moment the French call Deja Vu - a fleeting sliver of time that usually passes quickly, a time outside of time, when suddenly, sometimes quite unexpectedly, you find yourself feeling familiar feelings and thinking familiar thoughts that belong to an experience already experienced. Those feelings, those thoughts, can be evoked by a scene, touch, sound or scent from your past. The feeling of Deja Vu can also be evoked by a really good photograph - created by an artist, whose sole purpose is capturing the essence of a moment on film and paper, so that years from now, maybe even lifetimes from now, someone who views that picture will feel at least a little of what was felt when the photograph was taken...

Déjà vu

There are no editing restrictions for this round.

Your awesome and gracious judges are:
Llywellyn
schmoo
sherstone
You (public vote)

The contest is open to the following eligible photographers ONLY:

sweetharmony
jwear
ic4u
Tlvodra
AirThom
WhatSheSaw
JR303
pyroPrints.com
ghinson
lkbart
tinamarie52
nightpixels
photo-bug
AaronNelson
SeascapeS
ilbcnu
sgonen
The Curious Camel
Johnrog
Jeepzj94
Kidzmom
kris10jo
dnie
bmlynn
dls

Click here for the DSS Mega-Challenge #9 ENTRY GALLERY

Remember, 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period.
Please read the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.
All official stuff (entry thread link, etc.) are here.

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    I think I've been here before. :D
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    I don't know if I have ever felt so completely blank about a theme... I'm going to have to think on this one.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    dnie wrote: »
    I don't know if I have ever felt so completely blank about a theme... I'm going to have to think on this one.

It may come back to you rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    It may come back to you rolleyes1.gif

lol, I hope it does! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    I'm having a deja vu that I've done this before and I entered an awesome image! Now if I could just remember what it was.......... Laughing.gif.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Oh, killer theme!
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Yeah, this one is a killer! Oddly, the first thing that popped into my head was a Ouji Board. What the heck is that all about?
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Yeah, this one is a killer! Oddly, the first thing that popped into my head was a Ouji Board. What the heck is that all about?

sounds similar?
    I like the imagery that your idea invokes :D
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    I'm having a hard time distinguishing the visual difference between a memory and deja vu. This is a challenge for sure!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    JR303JR303 Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    seascapes wrote: »
    i'm having a hard time distinguishing the visual difference between a memory and deja vu. This is a challenge for sure!

+1
  • Options
    JilaenaJilaena Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2010
    OK, I'm new here and want to enter a photo challenge. How do I get on your oh so exclusive list of peeps?

Thanks in advance, J
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    Jilaena wrote: »
    OK, I'm new here and want to enter a photo challenge. How do I get on your oh so exclusive list of peeps?

Thanks in advance, J

Jilaena, You've already taken the first step by joining...welcome.You can learn more about entering a challenge in this thread http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=162655http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=162655

This week, there are two challenges open....the Mega challenge #9, which is only open to those who placed in the top 5 of the last 6 challenges. (The Megas only occur after every 6th challenge.)

The challenge that is open to you is the regular challenge that changes every two weeks: DSS #59 with the topic of 'signals.' For this challenge you need to take a fresh image beginning on September 6 and enter it into the ENTRY GALLERY before the morning of September 20.

You can post your trial images for a theme in the DGRIN Challenge thread. People here are nice and have helpful critique and suggestions.

I hope this helps.

Chris

• Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    Jilaena wrote: »

Thanks in advance, J

I forgot to mention the mini challenges. They are informal with no prizes beyond bragging rights. They run for 1-2 weeks, depending on the thread-starter, and allow any image, fresh or old.

You can learn more here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=168929

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Well said, tinamarie52!

Welcome, Jilaena!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2010
    Who knew there was this much to learn about Déjà vu??

Here is another interesting link... http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/extrasensory-perceptions/deja-vu.htm
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    UGHHHH!!!! I am having such a brain fart on this one, anyone else?????

Maybe I'm just trying to think too hard!!!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    ic4u wrote: »
    UGHHHH!!!! I am having such a brain fart on this one, anyone else?????

Maybe I'm just trying to think too hard!!!

I'm with you on that!

I do have an idea that I'd like to shoot, but will be out of town until it comes down to the wire.

When all is said and done, I'd love to see what was running through Sean's mind when he thought this one up!!

Chris

• Options
    This has been my favorite one so far. It challenged my brain more than anything else because there were so many questions I had to ask myself. I've spent a lot of time just looking at words because they have to meticulously describe. Mega is the right word for this challenge!
    SandiZ
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2010
    I'd love to see what was running through Sean's mind when he thought this one up!!

Chris

Honestly you probably do not want to see the images that flashed into my brain when I first thought of this theme. For me personally the feeling of Déjà vu comes at the worst of times. And since I always feel like I have dreamed about the situation before, the dream state images come pouring back into my head. You might say a few of my works were inspired by some of these very flash back situations.

I am pleased that some of you are finding it challenging. But I hope that inspiration is more important. Just let go and let the images that visit you at the edge of sleep paint the frame. Another way to approach this challenge would be to take the camera out with one lens and force yourself to take 1 picture every minute for 1 to 2 hours. Try to make every picture something different, or keep to a theme. The resulting material is sure to give a sense of the Déjà theme.

Push your mind. At the same time let go.
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    This challenge is indeed a stretch, but one that I have enjoyed very much. I look forward to more entries in the next few days! Although I have also enjoyed Sean's technical challenges (golden spiral, panning etc), I find this a wonderful opportunity to be free and to express in a picture an emotion/a feeling. To communicate emotion through our photos is an aspiration of all photographers, and though not easy..is very rewarding. To put into pixels what we want the viewer to FEEL is really what the mega is all about!
  • Options
    JR303JR303 Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    Okay, I've uploaded my entry. I have to say this was really, really difficult. I only have one other idea and don't know if I'll get the chance to shoot it, so at least I've gotten one uploaded. Sean, I haven't been doing these very long, but it seems you really pushed the envelope on this one. Very difficult to visually imply a feeling instead of a memory.
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2010
    JR303 wrote: »
    Okay, I've uploaded my entry
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    I am in - tough challenge! Really had a hard time defining in my mind deja vu...I think I came up with my meaning being an instant of comforting familiarity as I don't remember them being unsettling but instead calming or reassuring. Hardest part was premonition and memory kept mingling with what I thought of deja vu - but maybe it does?
    Good luck to all the entries!! (I am honored to even have the chance to enter)!!!

(Not sure why/how I put a question mark up there)
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    Down to the wire! Good luck everyone! thumb.gif
    SandiZ
  • Options
    TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    Good luck everyone in the Mega Challenge! I thought this was an extremely challenging and stimulating topic. It's weird that I was researching deja vu just days before Sean announced the challenge topic. No joke. I feel completely unqualified to even be in this round, but decided to go ahead and participate by entering a photo that is dear to my heart. Now it's nail-biting time....
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
  • Options
    Wow! What a great challenge. I just uploaded my entry . Talk about the 11th hour!

I did wander around this weekend looking at the world through my camera's eye. In the end I had 3 possible entries for the de javu challenge. In the beginning I never thought I'd come up with one decent idea. (maybe I still haven't... ha ha... Laughing.gif!)

Big congrats to everyone who entered!

Chris

• Options
    Just in case you all think you lost your chance

I have decided to extend the closing time till 7pm Monday night Pacific Time. The reason is we need to offset the two public votes by 23 hours, I felt it only fair to give everyone a bit more time. The actual public vote for the Mega entries will not be posted until after the Public vote for Round 59 closes. This will delay the results slightly but I would rather have everyones attention vs. a split one. :D
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2010
    I have a feeling We have been here before....

The mega is now closed.
    Judging is now taking place. The public vote will start after the 23 hour #59 vote ends.

Thanks everyone!
    :D
  • Options
    AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    Well, don't I feel like a heel. My first chance at a Mega and I'm MIA. I'll be sure to kick myself until I'm able to get back into another one. :) Great entries everyone!