Options

People of Thailand

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 26, 2011 in Journeys
We had the pleasure of meeting a number of nice people while in Thailand. Here are just a few that we met during a cultural tour:

This gentleman is a Mahout - the keeper and driver of an elephant:

1154370973_vt2ox-XL.jpg

He was our captain as we went on an elephant trek. What an amazing experience that was.

1154377949_wwTqq-XL.jpg

This lady harvests rubber from rubber trees. She uses the machine behind her to press the rubber into square "mats" about 2 square feet in size. They are then sold to a rubber plant to further refine the rubber to make anything from shoe soles to tires.

1154381981_nKF7T-X2.jpg

This young gal demonstrated how they harvest rice. The contraption she is standing acts like a large mortar and pestle. Rice is placed inside the pestle/bowl and then she raises and drops the large mortar like thing with her foot. As the rice gets pounded, the grain separates from the husks:

1154389552_UBJDw-XL.jpg

Here she took the rice out of the pestle and artfully tossed it around and somehow separated the rice grains from the husks. It was pretty impressive.

1154390879_Q5WZg-XL.jpg

This guy showed us how he tills the soil to prepare for planting the rice seed:

1154386539_WUYx5-XL.jpg

The water buffalo from above was nice enough to pose for me. Very impressive animal:

1154393794_FnQKW-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    These are just incredible. Not just the beautiful faces and the action, but I love the processing you did on them, too, particularly the b/ws. Fantastic peek into a great culture.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    I must say your b&w are really amazing!
    Great trip dear.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Thanks guys.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site