Options

San Francisco Walk About

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited February 13, 2011 in Street and Documentary
On Wednesday Alex the open ocean inner tube pilot, aka Anonomouscuban, April our hockey powerhouse, aka aktse, Stef SmugMug's intrepid traveler and blogger, aka Schmoo, and myself Sam aka Sam.

We met at Starbucks. We won't go into which Starbucks. There seems to be one on every other street corner, who knew?

It was a chance to meet Alex, always fun to put a face to other Dgrin members.

I found out a few things about Alex. He told be he loves HDR, the more over processed the better, so keeping this in mind here is a portrait dedicated to Alex.
1176910069_3GJnF-L.jpg

He also loves trees. We did have to explain to the nice policeman that this was strictly platonic hug.

1176921375_33RoY-L.jpg

After seeing the aggressive panhandlers San Francisco has to offer Alex thought he would give it a try. After awhile he decided to keep his day job.
1176909650_ZhN6w-L.jpg

April will go the extra to get that shot!
1176909983_tN3eh-L.jpg

Here is a capture of the rare and elusive Schmoo.
1176910100_ZMjH6-L.jpg

Here is the crew posing by the water.
1176910213_wg8kv-L.jpg

Last but not least......a B&W Artsy shot. :D
1176909461_7eQ7y-L.jpg

In closing we all know Schmoo, and April are great companions and wonderful Digital Grin friends, but I want to wecome Alex and let everyone know he's a great shooting companion as well.

Sam

Comments

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Nice shots! Pity it was during my regular work day or I would have joined you all :)
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Great stuff, Sam! Looks like a fun day in SF. BTW everyone: I was able to meet Sam and go on a quick shoot here in SA last year. He's an interesting guy and a real gentleman. It was enjoyable.

Sam, I like the portrait of Alex--very nicely done.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Hey Sam, it was good to spend time with you and April and Alex that day! I learned a lot about printing :D

I don't have a lot of keepers from the day, but I wish I remembered what site you guys were looking at for this one:

1176514012_QPzMY-L.jpg
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Looks like a lot of fun! I sure wish I had a reason to explore and go meet Grinners again soon!

I love your portrait of Alex, Sam!

ann
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    What a delightful series! thumb.gif Looks like that day was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Looks like a good time was had by all involved.

Hey, did any passersby lie down next to April and ask, "So... what're we looking at?"

Schmoo: Your P&S camera looks very familiar. That wouldn't be a Canon SD 1400IS, would it? I got one of those myself, just recently.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Apparently April has no fear of getting trampled. She got a pretty awesome shot of the Monterey Aquarium the same way, I believe!

Will it's my IR-modded SD940 IS. But probably very similar to the 1400. It's great for for what it does, but it does have some limitations that make me glad it's not my full-time camera thumb.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Schmoo that is a great picture with the iPhone. It cracked me up.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Luv the pcis, but also envious of the nice weather you have there, compared to the snow storm we had here in Toronto,, i can use the sun hope you all enjoyed it ..
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Looks like a good time was had by all! So when are we going to see the photos from the shoot? Looking forward to them!
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    Looks like a good time was had by all! So when are we going to see the photos from the shoot? Looking forward to them!

What can I say - wish I had been there. :D
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    OH MAN! Those are awesome Sam. I would have bathed and shaved if I knew were going to take a portrait. My face sure looks dirty... AND greasy too. You know what they say about those Cubans. mwink.gif

BTW, I hope that tree calls me. I left it my number tacked to one of it's branches. I keep checking my voice mail but nothing. I hope she doesn't leave me out on a limb. (oh, that was bad) eek7.gif

I have to say that I had a lot of fun shooting with you guys. All three of you are wonderful. I think we made a pretty good team. Wouldn't you agree? I have yet to go through any of the shots but I know I have a nice one of you Sam. Will post on this thread tomorrow hopefully.

Sam... I noticed you didn't post any of the Wayne shoe shine guy that wanted to beat you up. rolleyes1.gif That was funny. I guess it didn't help that I stayed back and engaged with him for a while.

Schmoo... I think I was checking out some of the posts on the Go Figure forum. iloveyou.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    OH MAN! Those are awesome Sam. I would have bathed and shaved if I knew were going to take a portrait. My face sure looks dirty... AND greasy too. You know what they say about those Cubans. mwink.gif

BTW, I hope that tree calls me. I left it my number tacked to one of it's branches. I keep checking my voice mail but nothing. I hope she doesn't leave me out on a limb. (oh, that was bad) eek7.gif

I have to say that I had a lot of fun shooting with you guys. All three of you are wonderful. I think we made a pretty good team. Wouldn't you agree? I have yet to go through any of the shots but I know I have a nice one of you Sam. Will post on this thread tomorrow hopefully.

Sam... I noticed you didn't post any of the Wayne shoe shine guy that wanted to beat you up. rolleyes1.gif That was funny. I guess it didn't help that I stayed back and engaged with him for a while.

Schmoo... I think I was checking out some of the posts on the Go Figure forum. iloveyou.gif
    Yeah, let's see Sam! We're waiting.:D
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    I posted my shots here. Check them out.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    I should take a photo from the ground more often! I look tall!!!! :D

And yes, I have no fear of people stepping on me!

Sam: awesome job! Where was that BW shot taken? I was with you all day and don't remember seeing anything like that!
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    aktse wrote: »
    I should take a photo from the ground more often! I look tall!!!! :D

And yes, I have no fear of people stepping on me!

Sam: awesome job! Where was that BW shot taken? I was with you all day and don't remember seeing anything like that!

Yeah... I don't remember that one either but I think he took that when I was busy modeling my feet for you and Steph.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    I posted my shots here. Check them out.

Nice!!!!

Really enjoyed looking at your images. Your PJ work is very good. Keep up the work.

Just for the record....I Did Not give anyone the finger.....although the ja&% a$$ deserved it. Very aggressively demanded money.......I just left, not worth the effort. Alex stayed a took a few shots and the quy demanded $20.00.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Nice!!!!

Really enjoyed looking at your images. Your PJ work is very good. Keep up the work.

Just for the record....I Did Not give anyone the finger.....although the ja&% a$$ deserved it. Very aggressively demanded money.......I just left, not worth the effort. Alex stayed a took a few shots and the quy demanded $20.00.

Sam

Are you sure Sam? So I guess you were flipping me off?

Kidding... yeah, the dude was a douche bag. Why he got mad at you for trying to take his photo but said nothing to me, I still can't understand. The funny thing is, as you got further away, he got braver. He kept talking trash and I tried my best to deescalate the situation but it was no use.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    Are you sure Sam? So I guess you were flipping me off?

Kidding... yeah, the dude was a douche bag. Why he got mad at you for trying to take his photo but said nothing to me, I still can't understand. The funny thing is, as you got further away, he got braver. He kept talking trash and I tried my best to deescalate the situation but it was no use.

I deescalated it. I walked away. He can talk all the trash he wants, I wasn't there to hear it. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    I deescalated it. I walked away. He can talk all the trash he wants, I wasn't there to hear it. :D

Sam

I de-escalate all the time, they're too slow, so I always take the stairs.