Options

WINNERS-- MiniChallenge 117-- Flight In Sport

FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
edited March 29, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
**hopefully I won't screw this up, and the images will display correctly.....

MiniChallenge 117- Flight In Sport

MiniChallenge 117- Flight In Sport—
Nice job everyone. Thanks for humoring me on this theme. I was slightly surprised there weren’t a lot of entries. I thought everyone shot sports…LOL.
In any event, I limited my choices to the intent of the theme I had envisioned which dealt with humans separated from earth thru athletic (or recreational) situations.
So although there were a few terrific shots of airplanes in air shows, they were not what I had envisioned. Thanks for sharing them though, some great stuff. I personally loved Tatiana’s #1 image, and also MichaelLockharts “TwoUp,TwoDown”. For my taste, I loved the compositions, showing some environmental ‘space’, if that makes any sense.

As I’ve heard many times from ‘judges’ it’s hard to pick just one, two or three favorites. So with that, I’ve selected 12….LOL.

Honorable mentions…
Cuong- Balance Beam
WOW, I love her body position. I just wish she had a bit more room in the frame. I really like the capture of the gymnasts watching her, as well as the few people in the background.
492419362_BPfaJ-200x200.jpg

Ikbart—first image-
I love the parallel planes of the bottom of her skirt vs the leg position in her split. Beautiful. She looks to be a terrific dancer! But similar to Cuongs image, I feel the blur confines her.
1129978004_J3x4H-200x200.jpg

Zoomn-- #1—I really like the comp with the three players heads diagonal thru the frame. I also like the body positions and the expression of the center player. Very nice. Just wish I could see it bigger.
1057745580_5o54m-200x200.jpg

Sandjunkie- “Negative Ghost…..”
I love a good title! Very nice. Terrific capture. His expression is classic and those green glasses just make it a fun image.
1206843262_nEsxt-200x200.jpg

Simpson Brothers—
I love the comp on this one. With the white water of the waves forming that cool ‘T’ in the frame. Also the inclusion of the other surfers. I love the overall contrast of the image, except that I think the surfer is a bit too dark. Nice shot!
648815576_QHNJw-200x200.jpg

JRomie- Wild And Crazy—I really like the montage and how you left the photo merge layers in place. I really like the last three frames as we see him spot the landing and adjust. It’s another of the images that I wish I could see larger. Very nice!
753596440_9eAkV-200X200.jpg

RUNNER UP—

3rd Runner Up— -- Sapphire73- Kenyan Girl
She has such joy in her eyes and smile, that it’s hard not to get drawn into this image. Very nice Gretchen. I like the capture of her off the ground accented with the separation of the shadow.
1227037883_J7LfD-200x200.jpg

2nd Runner up --MichaelLockhart- Geronimo
I really love the body position. But more than that I love the tonal quality of the image. It has this nice soft contrast to it that gives it a special feel.
1227166386_pMkRB-200x200.jpg

1st Runner Up- davev- I just love the fast shutter on this one. The super sharp frozen riders as they are thrown thru the air. Not to mention the detail of the spray. Very nice!
579515454_583F2-200x200.jpg

My Top 3 selections:

3rd Place—PhotoBug-- #3 La Quedabra cliff diver in Acapulco Mexico – this just brought back so many memories for me. As a kid I wanted so much to dive the cliffs of Acapulco. Each year I’d wait for Jim McKay and WideWorldOfSports to cover the event… LOL.
Aside from two small problems in the image. The crowd, which I feel has to be included to be able to view the waters inlet; and then the banner on the side of the cliff, I put this in my top3.
What got it in my top 3 was the timing of the shot-- that great separation of the diver from the cliff, and his perfect body position—then as an added bonus, the shadow. Nice shot Tatiana!
1217572135_2Lwr8-L.jpg

2- Ghinson-- KiteSurfer
I really like the presentation of this one. The comp and the soft grayscale. I like that through the composition I can feel him out in ‘space’. I also like that I can see detail in his face, harness, and feet. Nothing goes too dark. Then finally, I really like the capture of the boards position. I love that I can see both fins and that is has that ¾ view to it. Very nice Greg!
1023502943_kFACM-L.jpg

And my favorite image for Flight In Sport.....
1-- KevXMan- Mine
I’ve got to give the reins back to Kevin. This was exactly what I envisioned for the theme. Very nice! Another that reminded me when I was younger having tracked a fly ball to make a catch like that. If he’s anything like me, it will play in his head for a loooong time….. (can anyone else hear “GloryDays” playing..……LOL)
I love the framing and crisp feel to it. The green ‘monster’ behind him, separated by the warning track. Just a really, really nice space. But the key, for me, is the capture of that eye. I can ‘feel’ the concentration. Then the bonus of the slight separation from the ground. Very nice Kevin!
1217256698_8zZmh-XL-1.jpg

Nice work everyone. Thanks again for sharing your shots.

Comments

• Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Well, Paul...

I just wanted to compliment you on your selections, but mostly to say how refreshing it is to read commentary with specific reasons for your choices. You managed to include critical and congratulatory comments in a way that can benefit anyone viewing images.

Thanks for taking the time for sincere, thoughtful comments... from someone who didn't even have a shot to enter....

Bill
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Ditto. Thanks.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    thankyou both....for taking the time to read it....Laughing.gif....I tend to be wordy in 'written word'
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    WOW! I am totally flabbergasted. Thanks Paul! To go years with barely an Honorable Mention to winning two minis virtually back to back. With the amount of talent and differing styles in this place, I just don't know what to say. I'm usually just happy that I can hold my own against the other images that get submitted.

I was completely caught off guard with this that I don't have another theme ready. I will try to get a new mini started by tonight. Tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks again Paul. Special thanks to everyone else here too, for making the challenges, well, challenging.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    KevXman wrote: »
    WOW! I am totally flabbergasted. Thanks Paul! To go years with barely an Honorable Mention to winning two minis virtually back to back. With the amount of talent and differing styles in this place, I just don't know what to say. I'm usually just happy that I can hold my own against the other images that get submitted.

I was completely caught off guard with this that I don't have another theme ready. I will try to get a new mini started by tonight. Tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks again Paul. Special thanks to everyone else here too, for making the challenges, well, challenging.

— Kevin

Congrats Kevin! In my opinion...well deserved for the reasons I noted.
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    Congrats Kevin! In my opinion...well deserved for the reasons I noted.

Thank you for the comments Paul!
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Wow, thank you much Paul bowdown.gif - yes I was so excited about those divers as you were :)

I agree with the fact that it was so nice of you to insert of the comments and reasons for your selections.

Kevin, congratulations again and also congratulations to Greg,... and well, to all the others who participated
    with such wonderful images clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited March 27, 2011
    Thank you, Paul, for the feedback on my photo of the Kenyan girl and for the extensive comments you made about all of your selections.

Kevin, congratulations on winning this mini-challenge!
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Congrats and great capture!
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Congrat's Kevin, and Paul, thanks for the mention in your top 12.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    zoomnzoomn Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Thanks Froch for the HM and congrats to the winners! And Froch, since you asked so nicely:

1057745580_5o54m-X2-1.jpg
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    Congrats KevXman & all the runners up & participants! & thanks Froch for the hm! It really is nice to read your comments on all the shots - I'm sure you spent some time putting them together - thanks for taking the time - but it makes it such a much better learning experience to get that feedback - awesome round - thanks again!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    MichaelLockhartMichaelLockhart Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    2nd Runner-Up and an honorable mention. I'll take it!!! Thank you!

Congrats to the winner, the other runner-ups and honorable mentions & all who participated & commented.

There are 30'ish more really cool Blue Angel shots on my website. Feel free to check them out.

Coincidentally, the photo chosen as 2nd runner-up and the Blue Angel photo were taken on the same day.

A hoi hou!
    Michael Lockhart Photography | Like me on Facebook and I'll like you too! | Don't forget to read my Blog | Follow me on Twitter!
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2011
    2nd Runner-Up and an honorable mention. I'll take it!!! Thank you!

Congrats to the winner, the other runner-ups and honorable mentions & all who participated & commented.

There are 30'ish more really cool Blue Angel shots on my website. Feel free to check them out.

Coincidentally, the photo chosen as 2nd runner-up and the Blue Angel photo were taken on the same day.

A hoi hou!

I saw them. I liked the one with the skyscrapers included.