Options

Ginger 1977-2004 - A Few Photos...Long Post

maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
edited July 22, 2004 in People
Seeing as I have some new found friends here, I thought I'd share some images of our horse who collapsed and died yesterday morning aged 27.

Her name was Ginger, her "real" name was Khalifs Gingersnap. She has been with my wife for 24 years, since Emily was 13.

She was a half Arab half Quarterhorse and was the inspiration for my chosen career path (equine photography). She lived an active life up until the time she foundered in December of 2001. Founder is potentially fatal in horses and after a lot of work dealing with the founder, and a subsequent abscess that nearly killed her, the refinancing of our home to pay for the almost $30K in vets bills we have spent the last 18 months with a horse that looked half her age and acted similarly.

She was smart, funny and highly intelligent. She had a sense of humour and was simply adorable to be around. I was fortunate in so far as to be able to spend mornings and evening with her. It was on my usual morning ride to see her (and play with her, excercise her) when I found out that she had simply dropped dead.

So I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd share some of the over 6000 images I have of her. I also documented her founder and recovery. At the end of the post there are some links to some video I shot only a week or so ago as I was curious to see how crazy she was in her stall when I wasn't there and was simply going to get her feed in the mornings.

There are three sizes for different connections.

This shot is of her inspecting what natalie (our vet) was about to give to her:

ginger_01_dgrin.jpg

This shot (taken in April of 2003) is the first time she galloped after foundering in December 2001. I just happened to be in the arena with my gear and she galloped straight at me, as she used to before she foundered. She'd always stop right in front of me, about 6 inches from my face and I'd disappear in dust. Needless to say EMily and I stood there and burst into tears. It was a huge day for us and for her. She was back!

ginger_02_dgrin.jpg

This is one of my favourites that we have at home and a large poster..

ginger_03_dgrin.jpg

This was taken around early spring this year..

ginger_04_dgrin.jpg

My apologies for the size of this image but it's another favourite of mine, she had such a soft coat..

ginger_05_dgrin.jpg

We had a birthday party for her this year. We figured that after all that she had been through that getting to 27 was quite the thing, so we had cake, champange and about 20 people celebrate her birthday...The guy giving her the rose is(was) her farrier, Jim Kotecki. An extremely gentle and caring man.

ginger_14_dgrin.jpg
::
ginger_15_dgrin.jpg
::
ginger_16_dgrin.jpg

As I started my day by going to see her I was witness to some wonderful bright early morning sun. This was captured on one of those mornings.

ginger_17_dgrin.jpg

And on another morning...

ginger_18_dgrin.jpg

This image I took a few months back during the early evening. It's odd because only on Thursday of this week did I have another huge poster printed of this over 30" wide...It's on my website too..

She was looking at a deer in the woods behind her stall..

ginger_19_dgrin.jpg

This was a simple shot of her, that is very special as it's so simple. Taken the week before last..

ginger_19a_dgrin.jpg

This shot was taken on Wednesday of last week, two days before she died. She was being crabby at another horse. And it's the face she was so good at making....

ginger_19b_dgrin.jpg

This was the hardest picture of all. I pretty much had documented the last 3 years of her life, and it only felt right to document the end of it. My fear was that when Emily and I were travelling up to the ranch, was that they'd cover her with one of those ugly blue plastic tarps. Fortunately, they covered her with these SouthWestern blankets and someone had placed a flower on her head. She was really part of my world. For some reason this hurt more than my Dad dying...

Goodbye Ginger...

ginger_20_goodbye.jpg

Now for some humour...

To view the videos you'll need quicktime:

Small

Medium

Large

Thank you for listening...She meant the world to me...

Andrew
AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
Next Race - MotoGP Donington
:ivar

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    wow, what a fine tribute to a beautiful animal. thanks for sharing ginger the horse with us!

andy
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    A life shared
    Beautiful horse, and a beautiful tribute. Brings me to tears. I am honored that you wanted to share parts of your relationship with your horse with us.

g

Mary P Jones
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2004
    Beautiful and touching. Thanks for sharing.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2004
    So beautiful...
    She looked young and vigorous. But, 27 is a lot of years. I'm sure she had a good life. I couldn't help crying. Thanks for sharing.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2004
    That's very moving, Andrew. I'm very sorry for your and your wife's loss. This must be a difficult time for you. Thank you for teaching me a little bit about horses through your joyous experiences with Ginger. I had no idea that a horse could have such personality.

Your shots of Ginger are simply gorgeous. She was a beautiful animal, and your photography capture that.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    aamiicaamiic Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 18, 2004
    Wow Andrew.

That was a very emotional experience you just shared.

Great photography, and the video was fantastic. I went as far to dig into your site a bit. We all choose a direciton in our lives, and it would appear you have yours. Great stuff.

I might mention this is my first post, and your post made me sign up. :)
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 19, 2004
    Wow. What wonderful shots. So many thanks for posting them....

I worked at a ranch for 9 summers and spent many incredible hours raising horses and riding them in the mountains. It used to kill me when they died and 25 years later I still remember all of them fondly (well, except for Cocoa, who broke three of my teeth and nearly bit my ear off).
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2004
    What can I say?

I belong to a number of groups and have shared her image with many people over the last few years. People from all around the world who followed her illness and subsequent recovery.

I shared her death and we have been overwhelmed by the love and kindness shown from complete strangers.

Our front room of our home is full of flowers sent by complete strangers.

Last night my wife, our Vet and our Farrier took a a flower from each of he bunches we had received up to the ranch, with some champagne and some cheese and crackers. We sat in her stall and had a little smiling session.

But we feel we're better people for having her in our lives.

I cannot thank those of you on here who shared your feelings. I am so deeply touched.

I'll share in another thread some other images of this horse if no one minds.

Bye for now...I have to go and get out on my bike...

Thanks again...

Andrew iloveyou.gif

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    Andrew I am so sorry about the loss of your dear friend Ginger. Thanks so much for sharing her with us. What a wonderful experience for her and you to have had each other for so long. I'm sure the pain of her loss will lesson over time leaving you with just the beautiful memories.

My condolences to you and your family.
    Lynn
    p.s. You said this hurt more than your dad dying.. I totally understand this Andrew.. when I lost my dear friend and dog Toby a few years back I thought my heart would break and the grief was worse than either of my parents passing. I think it's because we are with them so closely each and every day, and share such unconditional love that only a person and an animal can share. Anyone who has lost a dear animal will nod and understand this.
    p.s.s.
    I just cried my way through the video....what a beautiful beautiful horse..
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    About everything what i feel right now has been said in the above.. What a beautiful girl she was and what great pictures you took of her! Thanks for sharing.. I'm sorry you and your family have lost such a good friend.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    Hey friends...

Ginger is home now.

We got her ashes back yesterday in a handmade chest that weighs about 30 pounds or so..

We also have a house full of flowers from people all over the world that knew of her "story" and so I thought it would be fitting to put together some of her photos I have scattered around the home along with one of her saddles, some of her favourite treats, her bridle and some of the flowers we have received and make a set...

Here it is. If you'd like to see the colour version let me know...

ginger_ashes_sep_dgrin.jpg

Technicals:

Canon 1D | 24-70L f2.8 | 1/15:f5.6 | A Priority | FL42 | ISO400 |
    Tripod | 550EX (as Master) and 2x 420EX flashguns in slave mode (faster
    faster...) all bounced.

Shot in the RAW...

In PS. In RAW WB adjusted and that was it. Converted, saturation
    added, contrast and then converted to B&W and Sepia (or saturated a tad
    more and left as colour)...Luminance sharpened and saved for web.

Andrew :)

(Thank you for *all* your kind words. It really does make a difference..)