Options

The Peaceniks

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 14, 2005 in People
Every Thursday afternoon/evening these people stand on the corner of Beacon and Center Streets in Newton Center. They've been there since before the Iraq war. I posted pictures of them last winter. Harry's recent post inspired me to revisit the weekly antiwar protest.

39967716-L.jpg

The same people are still there. They have changed some of their signs, but only a little.

39968126-L.jpg

39967656-L.jpg

When I shot them last winter, they seemed so isolated, even in liberal Newton, MA. In light of recent events, in particular increased public controversy over the war, I wondered if their mood had changed. The short answer: not much.

This man dispairs of the chances for fair presidential election in the foreseeable future in the United States.

39909024-L.jpg

I asked one of them if she were a Quacker.

39939202-L.jpg

No, that wasn't it. But she is absolutely a pacifist. War is never justified. She has been an antiwar activist all her life.

39967924-L.jpg

Long frustration has led these people to feel their cause is hopeless and this makes them timid and pessimestic as well as brave and admirable. There are no young people standing with them. They do not feel any ebb and flow in the political climate. They have an absolute view about all wars, and no matter what happens in American politics or in Iraq, this will always make them outsiders. We need to respect and tolerate all voices in our political discourse. But I hope the absolutists will be marginalized, no matter where they fit on the political spectrum.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    Very nice photographs even though I totally disagree with these people.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    Hey Rutt,

Marvelous shots. I would have loved them even if they had been pro-war demonstrators. The shots really touched me with my son serving in Iraq. I noticed that at our local peace march down here that there were more older participants than younger folk. The same went for the pro-war counter demo. Very different from the demos I took part in in the early 70's I guess the absence of a draft gives the issue less impact for the younger folks.

Excellent work. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    I noticed that at our local peace march down here that there were more older participants than younger folk. The same went for the pro-war counter demo. Very different from the demos I took part in in the early 70's I guess the absence of a draft gives the issue less impact for the younger folks.

I think it's the same people as it was in the 70's, just all growed up.

Nice shots, Rutt. I enjoyed looking at them.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops