• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Dgrin Forum Support the dgrin suggestion box

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 14  of  18
Old Sep-27-2010, 11:49 PM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterb View Post
The new Olympus E-5 has a new art filter, here's the company description:

Ten in-camera Art Filters including new Dramatic Tone round out this DSLR’s impressive feature set. For the first time, photographers can use Art Filters in all shooting modes, program auto, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual modes and movies with expanded control. Both still and movie capable, the E-5 camera offers HD video in an E-System DSLR for the first time.

The "Dramatic Tone" (HDR) art filter will only need *one frame* so birds in flight and sports are very much fair game.

Even without this, NIK Software's new offering (HDR EFEX PRO) will be out very soon (saw it demo'ed by NIK employee) and it will *also* allow one frame HDR.
This belongs in Cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterb View Post
If the "HDR" moniker is giving you heartburn, then the title can be "Dramatic, Creative, and Abstracts" or whatever you italic and bold guys want. Maybe NIK or Photomatix would sponsor it.. just a thought.

BTW- Andys Random Quote Generator said: “ let's get creative! ”
I think our position has been very clear. We are against forum clutter and no matter how you want to spin it, we are not going to create forums when it results in additional clutter. The effects Photomatix, Nik, Adobe and others are tools not genres and not going to get separate forums.
Old Sep-28-2010, 05:13 AM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterb

If the "HDR" moniker is giving you heartburn, then the title can be "Dramatic, Creative, and Abstracts" or whatever you italic and bold guys want.
We did. It's called Other Cool Shots.
Old Sep-28-2010, 06:59 AM
misterb is offline misterb
Banned User
Ok- nuff said.
Old Oct-07-2010, 03:18 PM
TJDIV is offline TJDIV
In the U.P.
Items SOLD; thread delete.
not everyone edits their title, unless you're browsing to preview the thread content you get the pleasure of clicking on all the sold items to find out if they are available. (I'm currently looking for two lenses and get more "sold" items than "available" items)

why not request thread delete when "sold"...

$.02

Cheers.

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
Old Oct-07-2010, 04:53 PM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDIV View Post
not everyone edits their title, unless you're browsing to preview the thread content you get the pleasure of clicking on all the sold items to find out if they are available. (I'm currently looking for two lenses and get more "sold" items than "available" items)

why not request thread delete when "sold"...

$.02

Cheers.
You've noticed one of the failings of vBulletin's search capabilities.

One of the reasons we leave threads by marking them as "SOLD" is so that you might have some price history either because you're selling or as a buyer.

You could add "FS" to your search terms and use Google instead of the dgrin search tool. Let's say you were looking for a 1DS, "site:www.dgrin.com fs 1ds" as your search terms will find a number of them. Of course, you can also use Google to limit the time frame too--help is available for Google's advanced search features.

Hope that helps and thank you for your suggestion.
Old Oct-07-2010, 05:01 PM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
You could add "FS" to your search terms and use Google instead of the dgrin search tool. Let's say you were looking for a 1DS, "site:www.dgrin.com fs 1ds" as your search terms will find a number of them. Of course, you can also use Google to limit the time frame too--help is available for Google's advanced search features.
Good advice. This can also be done via the custom search (which is google, too), without the need to include site:www.dgrin.com, since the custom search already limits to our forum.
Old Oct-23-2010, 08:04 PM
jeff lapoint is offline jeff lapoint
The dose makes the poison
Quote:
You've noticed one of the failings of vBulletin's search capabilities.

One of the reasons we leave threads by marking them as "SOLD" is so that you might have some price history either because you're selling or as a buyer.

Hope that helps and thank you for your suggestion.
How about a tab that let's the OP mark the item as sold or bought and locks the thread but shows the price info to be left for all to see.

Old Oct-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Art Scott is offline Art Scott
Have PASSPORT will TRAVEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lapoint View Post
How about a tab that let's the OP mark the item as sold or bought and locks the thread but shows the price info to be left for all to see.
You still will have people that as soon as they sell an item they will edit the thread.....by marking the item sold and removing the price.........

A ZENFOLIO 10% Discount Coupon CODE - A8K-Q2K-VPG
Old Oct-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Scott View Post
You still will have people that as soon as they sell an item they will edit the thread.....by marking the item sold and removing the price.........
I'm not so sure about that. It is two steps rather than one. Sell your item then click a tab ( and then edit and erase??). Probably not. It might take a while for people to catch on but it is better than the current situation.... And at least you would know it's sold without opening the thread.

Old Oct-24-2010, 07:15 AM
ivar is offline ivar
I'd be happy with a cookie
Quote:
I don't think that is possible with (our version of) VB (the forum software).
Old Oct-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
I don't think that is possible with (our version of) VB (the forum software).
Fair enough. So what is possible? Letting the OP edit the title is a less elegant solution but a solution all the same, no?

Old Oct-26-2010, 05:48 AM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
Quote:
I think you're over analyzing this.
Old Oct-26-2010, 07:37 AM
DoctorIt is offline DoctorIt
vrooom!
Quote:
Fair enough. So what is possible? Letting the OP edit the title is a less elegant solution but a solution all the same, no?
you want to give my day job to a robot too?

In all seriousness, the amount of traffic and solds here equates to about 5 minutes of work/day for me. It would take longer to decide whether we want to give title editing privileges across the board, or even more time to tweak vB to allow us to do it only for one section of the forums.

Old Oct-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Quote:
I think you're over analyzing this.
I think you have mistaken observation for analysis. Dgrin was the first photography forum I ever joined and is still my favorite. Unfortunately using the B/S forum can be a bit of a PITA as a significant number of mislabled threads.

My thought process was: dgrin is great, B/S board could be better, oh look a suggestion box!

Old Oct-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt View Post
you want to give my day job to a robot too?

In all seriousness, the amount of traffic and solds here equates to about 5 minutes of work/day for me. It would take longer to decide whether we want to give title editing privileges across the board, or even more time to tweak vB to allow us to do it only for one section of the forums.
I was thinking of farming out the scut work to the end user to leave the important stuff for the bossman.

Cool. Not trying to start trouble. Just had an idea and saw the suggestion box.

Great forum, awesome mod, annoying board to use given the amount of fake outs. Just trying to help make my first and fav b/s board a touch more ...2010

Old Oct-27-2010, 12:16 PM
vrooom!
Quote:
I was thinking of farming out the scut work to the end user to leave the important stuff for the bossman.

Cool. Not trying to start trouble. Just had an idea and saw the suggestion box.

Great forum, awesome mod, annoying board to use given the amount of fake outs. Just trying to help make my first and fav b/s board a touch more ...2010
Thanks Jeff, we do hear you. Your suggestions are good and sure, it might be nice to just search for current or solds, and get average prices automagically... oh, hey, kinda like ebay?? I guess at the end of the day, our goal with Flea Market isn't for it to be some slick automated buy/sell forum, it's just a place for threads where our users can trade. And in that light, we don't need tickboxes for solds and special title editing capabilities. Every mod has to browse his/her respective new threads/posts anyway, I just change a few more titles than everyone else.

Maybe that clears up our responses a bit? Regardless, thanks and thanks

Old Oct-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt View Post
Thanks Jeff, we do hear you. Your suggestions are good and sure, it might be nice to just search for current or solds, and get average prices automagically... oh, hey, kinda like ebay?? I guess at the end of the day, our goal with Flea Market isn't for it to be some slick automated buy/sell forum, it's just a place for threads where our users can trade. And in that light, we don't need tickboxes for solds and special title editing capabilities. Every mod has to browse his/her respective new threads/posts anyway, I just change a few more titles than everyone else.

Maybe that clears up our responses a bit? Regardless, thanks and thanks
Thanks for the response. I wasn't gunning for anything fancy or slick... just the ability to reliably know if an item was still for sale without opening each thread.

If it is a matter of philosophy/principle there is obviously no discussion and to be clear I'm not trying to make dgrin something else (echk bay) or lauch an attack on a way of forum life.

I'll stop now so you can get back to fixing that thread that still lists for sale when it was sold weeks ago (other guys forum EPL-1 for $290 sold since 10/15)

Thanks for listening dude.

j

Old Dec-13-2010, 05:27 AM
BMW Kurt is offline BMW Kurt
Adventurer, Photographer
Maybe I have missed it, but is there a forum to discuss the art/philosophy/musings of photography. I realize that most of the shooters here are digital but looking back on the classics and discussing them or simply musing on why we photograph would be interesting for me. I tried to do this in one forum and my post was removed by a mod who said it was inappropriate.
Old Dec-13-2010, 05:28 AM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Maybe I have missed it, but is there a forum to discuss the art/philosophy/musings of photography. I realize that most of the shooters here are digital but looking back on the classics and discussing them or simply musing on why we photograph would be interesting for me. I tried to do this in one forum and my post was removed by a mod who said it was inappropriate.
The Big Picture would be appropriate for that.
Old Dec-13-2010, 12:58 PM
vrooom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
I tried to do this in one forum and my post was removed by a mod who said it was inappropriate.
To clarify by "one forum" you mean somewhere other than dgrin, right?

Page 14  of  18
Tell The World!