• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Dgrin Forum Support the dgrin suggestion box

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 15  of  18
Old Dec-13-2010, 04:07 PM
BMW Kurt is offline BMW Kurt
Adventurer, Photographer
Doh! I seriously thought Big Picture was for wide angle and panoramic shots.

As to the other post, no it was here.
Old Dec-14-2010, 04:51 AM
DoctorIt is offline DoctorIt
vrooom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Doh! I seriously thought Big Picture was for wide angle and panoramic shots.

As to the other post, no it was here.
Would you mind giving us the specifics? We very, and I mean very, rarely remove posts (other than obvious spam). I find it hard to believe one of our mods actually removed a post that was about photography. Maybe moved to a better place, but not removed.

Feel free to send a PM if you prefer.

Old Dec-14-2010, 04:52 AM
pathfinder is offline pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
Quote:
Maybe I have missed it, but is there a forum to discuss the art/philosophy/musings of photography. I realize that most of the shooters here are digital but looking back on the classics and discussing them or simply musing on why we photograph would be interesting for me. I tried to do this in one forum and my post was removed by a mod who said it was inappropriate.
I agree with Ian that the Big Picture is appropriate for that.

But I also welcome that kind of discussion in Finishing School, as I do think they are connected. One cannot really edit an image well, without a goal in mind, and the goal may well be to replicate or utilize techniques from the history of Photography. If your post was pulled from Finishing School, let me know and I will move it back for you. I welcome that sort of discussion.

It is far more interesting than questions about how to make Photoshop behave.

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
Old Dec-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Angelo is offline Angelo
Turning frowns upsidedown
Quote:
Maybe I have missed it, but is there a forum to discuss the art/philosophy/musings of photography. I realize that most of the shooters here are digital but looking back on the classics and discussing them or simply musing on why we photograph would be interesting for me. I tried to do this in one forum and my post was removed by a mod who said it was inappropriate.
Hi Kurt

Perhaps this thread is what you seek? Just click any of the links under the banner to join in on various discussions.

We'd love to see more activity there and welcome any suggestions on improving and expanding the topic. Thanks

Old Dec-15-2010, 04:41 AM
BMW Kurt is offline BMW Kurt
Adventurer, Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Hi Kurt

Perhaps this thread is what you seek? Just click any of the links under the banner to join in on various discussions.

We'd love to see more activity there and welcome any suggestions on improving and expanding the topic. Thanks

Angelo, that's it!!!!!! Thanks.

Doctor, it was a long time ago and probably forgotten by now.

Again Angelo, thanks. I still like to discuss the classics and why they are classics. Probably shouldn't admit it here, but I still shoot a lot of film. As a matter of fact, that's all I'm shooting now. Our house was broken into last week and ALL of my digital cameras were stolen. My film cameras were not touched. I will be shooting film until the insurance check arrives and then I will go on a digital shopping spree!
Old Dec-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Angelo is offline Angelo
Turning frowns upsidedown
Quote:
Angelo, that's it!!!!!! Thanks.

Doctor, it was a long time ago and probably forgotten by now.

Again Angelo, thanks. I still like to discuss the classics and why they are classics. Probably shouldn't admit it here, but I still shoot a lot of film. As a matter of fact, that's all I'm shooting now. Our house was broken into last week and ALL of my digital cameras were stolen. My film cameras were not touched. I will be shooting film until the insurance check arrives and then I will go on a digital shopping spree!
Hey Kurt. You're very welcome. What a bummer about the break-in. I'm sorry you lost everything but thankfully nothing worse, right?

I love discussing classic photography so I look forward to joining in on your contributions. The "...Discussing..." threads have not been very active but maybe you're the angel we've been waiting for.

Old Jan-13-2011, 11:44 AM
pcr is offline pcr
Big grins
Birds
Me thinks the birds needs to seperate from wildlife. Plenty of posts, beautiful pictures, should have it's own spot.
For since the creation of the world Gods invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that We are without excuse,(Romans 1:20)
Old Jan-14-2011, 04:18 AM
DoctorIt is offline DoctorIt
vrooom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcr View Post
Me thinks the birds needs to seperate from wildlife. Plenty of posts, beautiful pictures, should have it's own spot.
Thanks for the suggestion, but we do our best to avoid "forum clutter." If we separate birds out from wildlife, do we also add "puppies" and "kitties"?

Remember, it's all about the shots!

Old Feb-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Reenie is offline Reenie
Newbie grinner
Is there a section for "I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to get my pics the right size to post" or other stupid questions? Just wondering. Can you tell I'm a newbie, lol?
Old Feb-04-2011, 10:31 PM
David_S85 is online now David_S85
Spotter of DGrin Forum Oddities & Spam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Is there a section for "I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to get my pics the right size to post" or other stupid questions? Just wondering. Can you tell I'm a newbie, lol?
Where are your pictures hosted? Different hosting companies have various methods of sizing your shots when posting them elsewhere.
Old Feb-04-2011, 10:35 PM
travischance is offline travischance
Major grins
Quote:
See 2nd paragraph titled "posting"
Old Feb-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
Quote:
Hi Reenie and welcome to Dgrin . Check out this thread, which contains all sorts of useful information for new members. I took a look at your website (nice, BTW) but I don't know enough about Zenfolio to be of much help. I couldn't get a link to your pics to work--I kept getting the full web page instead. I suspect you may have to change a Zenfolio setting to allow external links to your pics. Once you get that straightened out, you shouldn't have to worry about size.
Old Feb-11-2011, 12:42 AM
rob marshall is offline rob marshall
Smug slug (getting old)
May I suggest an optional 'first name' field in the profile data that would appear under the avatar? It's a bit more friendly to say "John, I like your shot..." rather than using user-names.
Old Feb-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
May I suggest an optional 'first name' field in the profile data that would appear under the avatar? It's a bit more friendly to say "John, I like your shot..." rather than using user-names.
Thanks for the suggestion. I like it.
Old Feb-27-2011, 07:16 AM
bradpowellphoto is offline bradpowellphoto
A work in progress
Ok...here is my suggestion for Dgrin. And I know a LOT of photographers are going to cringe when they see it. I would like to see a forum in the "Shots" category strictly for HDR photography. I know more and more smugmuggers and dgrinners are doing it and I think it merits its own forum like macro, etc. If someone is need to moderate or such I would be happy to volunteer.

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
Old Feb-27-2011, 07:31 AM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpowellphoto View Post
I would like to see a forum in the "Shots" category strictly for HDR photography. I know more and more smugmuggers and dgrinners are doing it and I think it merits its own forum like macro, etc. If someone is need to moderate or such I would be happy to volunteer.
Thanks for the suggestion and the offer

We've discussed this in the past and there are a couple of reasons why keeping HDR shots within their respective categories works best. The biggest reason is it avoids forum clutter. And of course, it's easy to decide where your picture goes--a landscape always goes into the landscape forum.
Old Feb-27-2011, 07:44 AM
bradpowellphoto is offline bradpowellphoto
A work in progress
Thanks for such a quick reply. The only problem I see with just lumping in HDR with everything else is that there are a lot of traditional photographers that don't like HDR and don't consider it a legitimate form of photography. And there a lot of us (and more every day) that shoot HDR and know this and just won't post in general forums. HDR is fast becoming it's own genre and I think deserves to be explored and celebrated in its own right. On Flickr there are HDR specific forums with 10's of thousands of images in them. Surely one more caqtegory in "Shots" wouldn't clutter things up that much. Just my two cents.

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
Old Feb-27-2011, 07:56 AM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
All valid points for sure. But if you look around, there are many HDR posts on dgrin. Some in "Other Cool Shots" and many in Landscapes too.

As for exploration, we've explored the idea before and will continue to do so but for now, we have decided not to create a separate forum for HDR.

Quote:
Thanks for such a quick reply. The only problem I see with just lumping in HDR with everything else is that there are a lot of traditional photographers that don't like HDR and don't consider it a legitimate form of photography. And there a lot of us (and more every day) that shoot HDR and know this and just won't post in general forums. HDR is fast becoming it's own genre and I think deserves to be explored and celebrated in its own right. On Flickr there are HDR specific forums with 10's of thousands of images in them. Surely one more caqtegory in "Shots" wouldn't clutter things up that much. Just my two cents.
Old Feb-27-2011, 04:55 PM
travischance is offline travischance
Major grins
Quote:
I agree with you totally. I am not a fan of HDR and agree that it is its own genre and should be separated from the other landscapes where photographers have used filters and traditional methods of balancing shadow and highlights in a scene. I typically cut my visits to the Landscape forum short when the majority of recent posts are HDR. Cool Shots IMO consist of conceptual images etc. This has been requested multiple times. Street Photography has its own forum separate from the People forum.
Old Feb-27-2011, 05:08 PM
ian408 is offline ian408
More wag. Less Bark.
Thanks Travis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travischance View Post
I agree with you totally. I am not a fan of HDR and agree that it is its own genre and should be separated from the other landscapes where photographers have used filters and traditional methods of balancing shadow and highlights in a scene. I typically cut my visits to the Landscape forum short when the majority of recent posts are HDR. Cool Shots IMO consist of conceptual images etc. This has been requested multiple times. Street Photography has its own forum separate from the People forum.