Options

Amazon New Tablet - Good to show off Pics

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited September 29, 2011 in Accessories
Amazon released a new tablet today to compete with Ipad, Smaller screen 7.5 x 4.7 inches compared to 9.7 inch x ?, 1024x600 screen 169ppi. $199. Connect wireless only. It weighs 14.6 ounces while the Ipad is 1.3 pounds, it is 0.45 inches thick; the iPad is 0.34 inches thick.

8 gigabytes of storage compared to Ipads 16 to 64GB.

Hmm? I wonder if we can transfer photos to the tablet as we take photos and show them off immediately? Or better yet sell them immediately using a QR code?

Cost $199

Release Nov 1

"The Fire has an IPS display with 169 pixels-per-inch resolution."

Specs and comparison to Barnes and Noble Nook http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20112772-251/kindle-fire-vs-nook-color-spec-breakdown/
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    I hope so. But smaller screen is a disadvantage, if only a slight one. I plan on waiting for one of the Windows 8 tablets myself . The Fire seems to be better for web browsing, reading, etc... its small size makes it portable and good for these types of uses.
  • Options
    Amazon released a new tablet today to compete with Ipad, Smaller screen 7 inch compared to 9 inch, 1024x768 screen 169ppi. $199. Connect wireless only.

Hmm? I wonder if we can transfer pics to the tablet as we take pics and show them off immediately?

Cost $199

Release Nov 1

"The Fire has an IPS display with 169 pixels-per-inch resolution."

See Fire Kindle

I meant to pose this as a question. I am looking forward to getting something more portable to display my photos and videos.
    Phil
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    1) I don't think Amazon is trying to compete with iPad. Silly media keeps claiming that, but it's a completely different device for a different audience, IMO.

2) The Kindle Fire runs Android 2.3, which is what the majority of smart phones out there run, so safe to say somebody will figure out a way to make it do everything your typical Android phone does. But I don't think anyone knows yet what exactly Amazon's software that runs on top of Android is going to support out of the box. Once reviewers get their hands on one, we'll see.

3) For $200, iPad or no iPad it's an amazing price for some pretty cool technology.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    from reports, it's more going against the Nook Color which runs on an android type of platform (I think) that people are hacking to do other cool stuff.

mostly, I want to know if I can run movies and stuff of of it while I'm at the gym. call me shallow, but watching stuff on the iphone screen gets OLD. for the 8-10 hours a week I use it, I'd pay for that! AND a good size. ipads are too big for using mostly for movies.

I know, I'm totally not the target market for either of those.
    //Leah
  • Options
    catspaw wrote: »
    from reports, it's more going against the Nook Color which runs on an android type of platform (I think) that people are hacking to do other cool stuff.

mostly, I want to know if I can run movies and stuff of of it while I'm at the gym. call me shallow, but watching stuff on the iphone screen gets OLD. for the 8-10 hours a week I use it, I'd pay for that! AND a good size. ipads are too big for using mostly for movies.

Movies - yes, according to Amazon site:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Color/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=amb_link_357575542_7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=0Y9DMRFPDWWSAZTSMPB8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321408942&pf_rd_i=507846
    Phil
  • Options
    catspaw wrote: »

That size screen (iphone) isn't good for watching anything long... I know what you mean.

$200 is a great price, even if it's not the best option for photo viewing. Who knows, perhaps it is.
  • Options
    That size screen (iphone) isn't good for watching anything long... I know what you mean.

$200 is a great price, even if it's not the best option for photo viewing. Who knows, perhaps it is.

"iphone?" did you mean "iPad", because iPhone screen size is 3.5 inch diagonal exactly half the size of the Amazon Tablet.
    Phil
  • Options
    No, I meant iPhone. I was agreeing with Leah when she said that the iPhone screen was a bit small for watching movies. Sorry, this is getting a bit off-topic :)