Options

Senior Project

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited November 12, 2011 in People
Hey folks. I am doing a senior project this year that is different than simple senior portraits. I am working with a local high school senior on HIS senior project. His subject is digital portrait photography and I am acting as a community mentor to bring him along in that subject.

By project's end we will spend at least 20 hours working together to teach him basic photoraphy as well as develop a product or porfolio. In trying to keep things simple we are sticking (at least for now) to natural light. He is working with a Canon Rebel (the original one) and borrowed glass from me.

So far I have required him to read Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" and of course the manual for his camera.

His editing tools are limited, and so we are trying to get it right "in camera".

I've asked Matt to come here to Dgrin and seek out advice and honest C&C from you guys and gals. Soooo....keep an eye out for him, and give him a big welcome when he shows up asking for help!

Today was our first meeting where we actually shot photographs. Here is a shot I took.
i-PqHWMk6-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SeniorMattSeniorMatt Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Hey everyone! Im matt from jeff's earlier thread. Ill be posting pictures soon so come at with some honest C&C.

Im just wetting my feet with photography. Before woking with Jeff I didnt know much of anything on photography, so its definitely a working prgress. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 6, 2011
    Thank you for making yourself available to a new shooter and for the commitment to teaching him a skill he can use thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Matt, Good luck with the project. You are in very capable hands.
    Jeff, way to give back!!! thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Welcome...and you are in good hands....looking forward to seeing your shots.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Welcome SeniorMatt! We look forward to seeing your shots!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    Welcome Matt thumb.gif

You've got a great teacher :D
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Welcome to Dgrin Matt. Looking forward to seeing some your shots.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Welcome Matt! Can't wait to see your shots!
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    What a great idea....and big "good for you."
    I hope the young man will be appreciative and realize what a gift he is receiving.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Welcome and good luck. Start posting.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Great idea!

Matt, you're in good hands, but the first thing I noticed was that Jeff has you shooting in a garage????
  • Options
    SeniorMattSeniorMatt Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Great idea!

Matt, you're in good hands, but the first thing I noticed was that Jeff has you shooting in a garage????

We did open shade/garage lighting, not that I know exactly what Im looking for, but some of the pics came out pretty good.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    SeniorMatt wrote: »
    We did open shade/garage lighting, not that I know exactly what Im looking for, but some of the pics came out pretty good.

Intriguing!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Intriguing!

Hey Mitchell!

It's a simple matter for experienced shooters to pick up a camera, find some light, and pull off a decent portrait. But. We also know that there is a lot that goes into that. So. If you want to "hand off" that experience to a new shooter, how do you break that up into bite sized pieces?

Admittedly, I dont know. But. By stcking to natural light we can take one dimension away altogether.

For this first shoot I really wanted to see Matt get well exposed and sharp images. Nothing more. Nothing less. To show him that you dont need an exotic location we stayed at my home and shot everything well within a 20 foot walk. I outlined some very basic posing and framing and then watched him shoot and interact(or not) with his model. I also stressed the importance of shooting RAW and showed him why after. I think he is getting another taste of "why shoot raw" in his c&c thread as he has had several white balance comments.

I think he learned a good bit, and still is, from this first shoot. But. We have only scraped the surface!

And Ill take all the help I can get from you folks in bringing him along. Our time is limited and there is plenty to learn.

So you see the garage set up. Aee we doing it right?
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    I think shooting RAW is important but what if you're shooting sports and frame rate is important? Or you're working with a camera that doesn't do RAW? It's worth talking about the importance getting it right in camera so shooting JPEG or RAW, he'll have an image he can work with.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    I agree Ian. In most portrait shoots RAW is a better choice. I did have on instance where we used a galloping horse with a high school senior boy rider. He was galloping nearly straight at me. My " normal" portrait methods wouldnt work. The camera couldnt digest the raw files fast enough and I hAd to shoot jpeg only.

I was disappointed that Matts rebel doesnt have a raw plus jpeg option. With that he could have played around with both file types to come to his own conclusions.

Thanks for chiming in!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    The most compelling reason for 'getting it right' is the reduce the amount of post required for the image. Of course, there will always be some but shooting on deadline with a lot of images means the more that are correct; the faster the job is completed.

You're definitely off to a good start!
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    I'm excited to see these threads, Jeff. I am teaching Middle School photography this fall, and I am already thinking ahead to projects like this for a couple of my 8th graders when they are a bit older. I look forward to watching this develop.

Having the RAW plus JPEG is indeed a fast way to learn the difference! I make my kiddos shoot in RAW and full manual (except autofocus).
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    What a great idea! Look forward to critiquing a high school senior's shots savagely and without mercy.

Please don't ever take me seriously.
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    Welcome and I am jealous that you get to shoot in the magical garage. It is going to be fun watching your skill level and knowledge develop. Good luck with your project!