Options

senior project with jeff

SeniorMattSeniorMatt Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited November 8, 2011 in People
Hey guys these are some of the better shots I took yesterday while working with Jeff. Looking for some C&C
I took these photos with an original rebel.
My editing software is limited, these have all undergone minor editing in google's "picasa"
Let me know what you think! Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    Senior Project
    Hey guys! looking for some C&C. Let me know what you think
    PS this is my second attempt of uploading these pictures, sorry if the show up twice
    IMG0025-L.jpg
    IMG0028-L.jpg
    IMG0064-L.jpg
    IMG0009-L.jpg

These all shot with a canon rebel (original). I have limited editing software, so these have all undergone minor editing using Google's "Picasa"

Thanks Guys!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Only one is hotlinked in. You need to surround the others with the image tags
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Fixed.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    Fixed.

thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    What you got going for you: they all seem super sharp where it counts. (The eyes) You got some nice expressions and angles. The background is nice and uncluttered too.

All 3 color ones need some white balance issues addressed. #1 should go away... Hunched / rounded shoulders add bulk plus her bored expression does not make it a winner. If she had good camera connection with her eyes it might have worked, but it doesn't. #3, she is square to the camera, so her face looks pretty round. Try to avoid faces square to the camera because any symmetry issues will show up. Also her elbow is slightly out of frame.

I like the angle of her face on 2 the best because she has a round face and needs to have it at a pretty good angle to flatter it. I think that one with a pretty severe crop (and white balance work, haha) might be a winner.

I think I might have liked #4 in a contrasty black and white and with a crop. But maybe that is just because the white balance needs work.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    Yep, it looks pretty great in black and white.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Hi Matt :) I think the biggest suggestion I have for now is that you should work on white balancing the color ones, several of them look off... one's too yellow, another's too blue. That'd be where I'd start. Framing and what not looks good though!
  • Options
    ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    I like the pose in number 2 the best but the photo looks a bit green on my monitor, personally I also think there is a bit to much head room in the photo. Try a tighter crop and that might help!

Good start
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Matt, why do we use light.....to create depth by creating shading on the face. One side of the face should be slightly darker than the other, generally. Have your subject turn 360 degrees very slowly and watch the light on the face. You should see the spot where one side of the face is slightly darker or shaded than the other. Stop at that point. Now look at the background. It might not be the one you wanted so you might have to shoot wide open to throw it out of focus. I've seen photographers create some very interesting out of focus backgrounds using this technique. Pallets, stuffed chickens (honestly) became blurred abstracts in the bkg. Good luck and keep looking at your subject then past them to the bkg.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Hey everone, thanks for helping out here. I agree with all the comments so far, and Matt would probably admit that he heard some of this while shooting.

Heather-
    Thanks with the thumbs up on sharpness. My goal on this day was to get his feet wet and capture well focused and exposed images. From there, we can dive deeper into the details and complexities as we move forward.

Matt-
    You saw how quickly I perfected the white balance in my shots. Are you ready to " buy into " shooting RAW?

Make sure youve installed canons raw editor on your pc and then shoot some raw files to play around with.

As we collect your best shots you can save the raw files and bring them over to my workstation to edit before printing.

You did a really good job on this first try. Honestly!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    There seemed to have been a few duplicate threads so I merged them to this one. Should be good now.

Let us know if you need help adding photos to your posts Matt.

- Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    I was writing this into a different thread apparently as it was being merged. Forgive me because some of this is repetitive, but don't have time to re-write:

The thing that jumps out at me immediately (and distracts me so much that it almost keeps me from being able to see the photos further) is that the color balance is way off. 2 is very green/yellow, 3 is blue and 4 is very magenta. Beyond that, I like conceptually what you're trying to do with negative space. I think it works better well with #3 than with 2. In the other set there was a photo of your model small against a large white wall with a lamp at the corner. I think it works well graphically, but would be even better if it didn't have the plants sticking into the frame, which sort of break up the tones of the white/gray wall and the interesting balance of the model vs. the light. It's hard to say exactly why, but the negative space in #2 doesn't work for me. And since #4 is really a fairly standard headshot, there doesn't seem to be any reason to leave much extra space around your subject's head.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    Thanks to all for the C&C ill have another shoot with a different model later in the week with Jeff again. Will take into consideration all that was said. Much appreciated! Ill post again soon.