Options

Senior Project with Jeff second shoot

SeniorMattSeniorMatt Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited November 20, 2011 in People
These are the best pics from the second shoot with Jeff. Let me know what yall think with some C&C. Thanks Guys

All shot with the original Canon Rebel and a combination of the Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS and the Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS borrowed from Mr. Jeff. All taken in existing light.

1. i-kKCtXN8-L.jpg

2 - Retro Processing on this one!
i-qSDGBqJ-L.jpg

i-LrKp3mQ-L.jpg

4 Another Retro treatement via TRA
i-hgvN6b7-L.jpg

5 Retro...again...
i-kshmtLn-L.jpg

i-KhrSpkD-L.jpg

i-5KQGtZq-L.jpg

8 Im not happy with the left side of her face being so bright, but we decided to keep this shot anyway.
i-mxTDQVT-L.jpg

9 An out-take....
i-FxKQJKc-L.jpg

i-Tz7XLx6-L.jpg

11 Some retro TRA processing
i-Tkv52qm-XL.jpg

i-n8pX9cD-XL.jpg

13 My personal favorite!
i-vMqnrcx-XL.jpg

14 Same as 12 but in color
i-RBPWCvc-L.jpg

i-Tg4pDmk-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Folks,

Matt came over this afternoon and we sat down and culled and post processed his images together. The RAW files were processed in Lightroom, and some other adjustments were done to a handfull of them in photoshop. I think next time he won't need to be as heavily supervised. He catches on pretty quick.

Anyways, if the processing looks....familiar...well....he is being shown "how to" using the techniques that I use. So.....ne_nau.gif

In the culling I had to keep stressing to him to NOT center his subject AND to watch the edges of the frame carefully. And framing in general....as he lopped off some feet and hands in some otherwise GREAT looking shots.

I am trying to get him to be a rule of thirds and golden mean shooter.

Link - To other threads on this project.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    super stuff..you should be very happy.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Great set! And the "out take" is a fantastic shot - Just call it #9.thumb.gif
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    SeniorMattSeniorMatt Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Thanks for all who replied! And a HUGE thanks to Mr Jeff for guiding me in taking/editing these pics. Looking forward to the next shoot!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    These are GREAT, Matt!!! You've done a super job. 4/10/13/15 are my favorites from the set.

One thing to watch for - especially on us gals - is Hair Stuff. I probably would have asked her to give her hair a quick brush - or at least get the wispies off her forehead - and also would have told her about the visible bobby pin. A lot of times we just don't know that stuff is going on - without a mirror, we need our photographer (or somebody - makeup artist, mom, whoever!) to keep an eye on that for us. thumb.gif That's the main reason I like 4 the best of that series - not only a great expression, but her hair looks better in it. The shots are all using the light and depth of field beautifull, so it's just one more thing to add!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Nice shooting, Matt. Thanks for posting these.

Please allow me to make a few comments. Overall, these are quite good. You've certainly shown great improvement even over your last shoot.

Several of these photos look a bit soft. I tend to look critically at the eyes. Your subject's eyes need to be very sharp. Either some of these photos are a bit soft on your focus, or you might be adding some softness to the eyes during your PP. If it's the latter, take great care to mask out any softening of the eyes during PP. When shooting, make sure to focus critically on the eyes, and, of course always use good camera holding technique.

Try to look a bit more creatively at your cropping and composition. You are working on the rule of thirds. You have this concept down horizontally, but you've missed the mark in several when you look vertically. Many of these just have the eyes too centered vertically. Look at your first 8 photos. Shifting the eyes towards the upper third with your cropping would improve all of these dramatically. It's amazing how such a simple concept can have such a major impact on your photos. Play around with the crops. Don't be afraid to crop more closely. Break some rules and chop off the top of the hair/head for an even more dramatic look.

For the record, #13 is my favorite here. You really nailed that shot and the composition is perfect. #9 is a close second. Sometimes the outtakes are the keepers. It's a bit soft, but her relaxed pose and thoughtful expression are great.

Keep on shooting and learning. Keep pinching yourself to remind you how lucky you are to have met Jeff and had the unique opportunity to learn from such a gifted photographer.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I really think 9 is the best one. Love it!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Diva-

Thanks for that bit. It certainly reinforces something Matt and I talked about. I even gave him pre warning that the fly aways were going to get busted up on some C&C. Thank you.

It was catch 22 for us on that though. Tori met us a little after 3 pm....coming directly from school except for a clothing change, and had to be at work at 4 pm. So.....not so much time to primp...and it was windy. I actually like the windblown casualness that some of these evoke....but definately NOT the look in #7.

I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to help out here!thumb.gif

Mitchell-

I am afraid that I hadn't urged strongly enough to focus on the eyes ahead of the shoot. That....coupled with the camera used combine for a softness in some of these. Getting Matt to understand and use the rule of thirds when framing the shot is uber important to me. His camera is the first generation of Rebels...and is only around 6 megapixels. That is capable enough....until you start cropping. And our end goal is a printed portfolio as a product for the judges. I will be lending him a Rebel XTi for the next shoot. It has 10 mp to play with and in my opinion was a sweet spot for pixel site density and exhibited excellent image quality. It will also speed up his RAW reviews. In addition, it's focus system is miles ahead of the original Rebel. Hopefully that will help.

Composition and framing is something else altogether. In camera is always best......but then....if you are REALLY shooting portraits for clients, then you have to also leave room in your framing for a variety of crops associated with common print sizes. 5x7, 8x10, and the dreaded 11x14.

I have changed out the focus screen in my 50D with one that helps some.....but THAT is still something that must be learned through trial and ERROR. Im sure we have all neen THERE!

The comments and guidance are dead on! Thanks for taking the time to put that together.
  • Options
    MeurycMeuryc Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I like the pose in 2, it keeps drawing me back. There is something about the color in 6 that I like. #9 is my favorite, I am not usually a fan of closed eyes but this one speaks to me. I have mixed feelings about #13, I think there may be too much reflection in the eyes. This is a pose/style I am working on myself and I have the same problem, usually it looks good in camera or I think it does until I see it at home.

Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    1.6.7.10.11 I tend to favor due to your use of short light. If you would pull your exposure down some it would be more evident. These might not be the ones you like but it is the start of good lighting. To me the lighting must be there or else it's just a pretty pitcher, ( yes I spelled what I wanted). You have showed remarkable improvement in just two sessions, congrats on that. Look for the light first then do the pose according to the lighting. Talk with your subjects, ask them questions that they have an interest in to relax them. Get a couple of stupid jokes ready to get expressions. Photography is as much psychology as photography.