11/11/11 wedding in... Aruba!

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited November 22, 2011 in Weddings
I have a blast with these two, they flew me out to Aruba to shoot their wedding and were just tons of fun. We also did a trash the dress session in the ocean the morning after their wedding, and I'll post that in a separate thread.

1. Did you know that Aruba is known for having a ton of iguana's? our resort was filled with them...they thought the rings looked like something they should lick, so I managed to get them to come up for this shot
IMG2525-L.jpg

2. More traditional ring shot
IMG2479-L.jpg

3. The groom, yes that flower is really large, it wasn't until right before the ceremony that the wedding coordinator located his actual flower he was supposed to have :)
IMG2549-L.jpg

4. The bride putting on her jewelry
IMG3628-L.jpg

5. Excited as she's about to go down the aisle
IMG3724-L.jpg

6. The ceremony was rather odd in that the officiant was in front of them so the only way to get a clean shot of the bride and groom was to go around the back... the bride told me she didn't care where I stood though as long as I got her awesome photos, hehe.
IMG2613-L.jpg

7. She made me promise to use my fisheye for some ceremony shots, so I didn't disappoint.
IMG3762-L.jpg

8. First kiss :)
IMG2627-L.jpg

9. We had a lovely sunset after the ceremony
IMG3825-M.jpg

IMG3862-L.jpg

IMG3868-L.jpg

12. The reception was also on the beach
IMG3911-L.jpg

13. They didn't want to do a cake cutting, so I had to settle for just photos of them in front of the cake
IMG3942-L.jpg

14. First dance
IMG2675-L.jpg

IMG2679-L.jpg

16. One of the last images I took that evening.
IMG3985-L.jpg

Thanks for looking! I know a shared a lot, but had troubles narrowing it down this time :) I'll post the photos from their awesome trash the dress session in the ocean later!

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I love the ring shot with lizards, wow!! Great set :)
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    The set was stunning until I got to photos #9-11... Did you get any more natural shots, without such direct flash? When you use flash so directly like that, it makes the background look too unreal. The images are good, don't get me wrong, but for a destination wedding in Aruba I would aspire for the next level. However I'm sure the TTD the next day gave you many more opportunities to one-up yourself! When the pressure of the wedding day is gone, usually you see a location with new eyes and a greater sense of how to capture it. I'll look forward to seeing the TTD pics!

Great set though in general, like I said. Just trying to help push you to the next level!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I wasn't able to bring any light stands w/ me...just everything that fit in my Think Tank international... should I have given Terry (my fiance) a flash to hold in his hands (person stand, haha) and then just ST-E2'ed it do you think? That's one of my weaknesses currently and would love advice on how to improve... most of my lighting is just my 580 EXII's right now... rarely off the top of the camera as I haven't really gotten much experience with light on a stick but want to branch out more into off camera lighting... so advice / tips for the future would be much appreciated!

I used only my 35L and 85L and two 5D2 bodies (no flash or anything) for the TTD session and just LOVE LOVE LOVE how it all came out, I've gotten *tons* of amazing comments on my Facebook page already for the TTD, so I'm very excited to share that on Dgrin!
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    hehehe! #1 for the win! For real, probably the best ring shot ever! It would have been scary if they ate them! gasp!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Two things popped into my mind. One I hope the bride got home after the wedding. Seems some woman have trouble retuning from Aruba.

Second..............It scares me to death looking at the lizards and the rings. They ain't the brightest things on earth. I can envision the lizards wolfing the nice shinny things down and scampering all over the island with a group of howling, wailing people madly chasing them.

Sam

PS: Nice gig!!!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    I wasn't able to bring any light stands w/ me...just everything that fit in my Think Tank international... should I have given Terry (my fiance) a flash to hold in his hands (person stand, haha) and then just ST-E2'ed it do you think? That's one of my weaknesses currently and would love advice on how to improve... most of my lighting is just my 580 EXII's right now... rarely off the top of the camera as I haven't really gotten much experience with light on a stick but want to branch out more into off camera lighting... so advice / tips for the future would be much appreciated!

I used only my 35L and 85L and two 5D2 bodies (no flash or anything) for the TTD session and just LOVE LOVE LOVE how it all came out, I've gotten *tons* of amazing comments on my Facebook page already for the TTD, so I'm very excited to share that on Dgrin!

Well, there's not much you can do when there's no light stands etc, but I would still avoid the on-camera flash look if possible. In light like that, I would prefer to shoot natural light for at least some of the shots; heck even in bright sunlight you can pull off some dramatic stuff if you shoot in the right direction... This doesn't count since it's a model in a low-pressure shoot, but here's what I *always* go for when shooting with minimal gear on a beach:

MS16912-O.jpg

...And then here's what I go for as far as off-camera flash is concerned: (real couple this time, we had <5 mins to grab this shot!)

974509946_2TSMr-O.jpg

All it was is, my assistant guarding / holding the light stand with TWO flashes on it, since the sun was actually kinda bright and I wanted a pretty wide composition so the flashes had to be pretty far away.

But yeah, that's jut my minor pet peeve when it comes to destinations and dramatic scenes in general- Go for the wide stuff, place the couple IN the scene instead of photographing them with the scene behind them. And, if necessary, just forget flash altogether for at least a few shots, and go for silhouettes. Or turn the whole thing around, and use the sun as your light source if it's late enough in the day. When you shoot the wider angle shots, it doesn't matter if harsh light is falling on the subject, because the shot is no longer about their smiling faces, it's about the gorgeous scenery and their bodily motion through the scene. Sure, you gotta get the closer, more intimate portraits that DO focus on their smiling faces, but that you've already got down solid obviously.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I *love* the drama of the B&W w/ the clouds and sand and everything in that second shot. I wish you weren't in SoCal so I could tag along and learn about your off lighting techniques, it's the area I'm sorely in need of some good second shooting time... I've picked up a few tricks, but I just still don't have the comfort to branch out into it as much as I would like... if you're ever in NorCal though let me know ;)

And I just posted some of the TTD photos... so go check em out! :)