• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Video Action! HELP, need to convert Sony ".MTS" video to a format universally readable at less than

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec-18-2011, 02:00 PM
#1
RovingEyePhoto is offline RovingEyePhoto OP
SweetHomeChicago
RovingEyePhoto's Avatar
HELP, need to convert Sony ".MTS" video to a format universally readable at less than
Help, please. I just completed a video interview of my mom, 96 years old, using my daughter's recent-model Sony video cam (about the size of a soft drink can with a flip out screen, fine quality device). Based on replay over the cam's screen and speaker, the interview went great! I downloaded results onto my WIN-XP PC through USB connection. Resulting files are .MTS (5 of them totaling about 7GB); .JPEG (44 of them totaling about 46MB); and .BDM, .MPL and .CPI (several of them totaling very little). My problem is that I can open only the JPEGs, which are of no interest, seem to be randomly drawn from throughout the recording session. My goal is to burn DVDs for my siblings, their children and grand children, so all can share in the irreplaceable family history in what my mom had to say and the visual of seeing her saying it. My needs, of course, are to convert the Sony HD files into some universally readable language (MP3, etc), and hopefully into a lower res allowing the whole thing to fit onto single 4.7GB DVDs. When I tried to open the .MTS files, a popup directed me to download FreeFileViewer, which I did (I hope not a scam, I'll run Kaspersky Anti-Virus as soon as done posting here), but all it could do was open to a long-scrolling screen of numbers/symbols in 3-column format. So PLEASE, if anyone here can get me to where I want to be, sure would appreciate the guidance. Many thanks in advance ...
__________________
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
Old Dec-18-2011, 02:44 PM
#2
angevin1 is offline angevin1
Performs as designed
angevin1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingEyePhoto View Post
Help, please. I just completed a video interview of my mom, 96 years old, using my daughter's recent-model Sony video cam (about the size of a soft drink can with a flip out screen, fine quality device). Based on replay over the cam's screen and speaker, the interview went great! I downloaded results onto my WIN-XP PC through USB connection. Resulting files are .MTS (5 of them totaling about 7GB); .JPEG (44 of them totaling about 46MB); and .BDM, .MPL and .CPI (several of them totaling very little). My problem is that I can open only the JPEGs, which are of no interest, seem to be randomly drawn from throughout the recording session. My goal is to burn DVDs for my siblings, their children and grand children, so all can share in the irreplaceable family history in what my mom had to say and the visual of seeing her saying it. My needs, of course, are to convert the Sony HD files into some universally readable language (MP3, etc), and hopefully into a lower res allowing the whole thing to fit onto single 4.7GB DVDs. When I tried to open the .MTS files, a popup directed me to download FreeFileViewer, which I did (I hope not a scam, I'll run Kaspersky Anti-Virus as soon as done posting here), but all it could do was open to a long-scrolling screen of numbers/symbols in 3-column format. So PLEASE, if anyone here can get me to where I want to be, sure would appreciate the guidance. Many thanks in advance ...

You just need to google what it is you want to convert to. ie: .mts to Mp4 converter, etc. you'll have plenty to choose from.
Old Dec-18-2011, 03:05 PM
#3
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
DavidTO's Avatar
MPEG Streamclip should be able to do whatever you need for conversion.
__________________
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
Old Dec-18-2011, 03:49 PM
#4
angevin1 is offline angevin1
Performs as designed
angevin1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTO View Post
MPEG Streamclip should be able to do whatever you need for conversion.

Doesn't take .MTS when I looked
Old Dec-18-2011, 04:18 PM
#5
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
DavidTO's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by angevin1 View Post
Doesn't take .MTS when I looked
True, the site doesn't list it, but the Mac version lists it in the help doc.
__________________
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
Old Dec-19-2011, 02:39 PM
#6
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
ziggy53's Avatar
"MTS" is just a file wrapper, and does not specify the actual contents specifications. Often the file can be renamed with a suffix of "mp4" and they will load and play.

The following freeware can tell you the exact contents of the file, so you can know better what to rename the files.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
You may be able to load the renamed files on Windows MovieMaker, but I highly recommend against it. Windows MovieMaker tends to create as many problems as it solves.

Avidemux may be able to load and edit the file, and save it as a more universally recognized video type, especially if you intend to post the video on SmugMug. Avidemux is also freeware.
http://avidemux.berlios.de/
If you don't have any video codecs installed, you may also need to load a free codec pack:
http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Ess...-10662709.html
------------------------------

While the above will certainly get you started, if you want more stability and control, it would be better to purchase better software specific to editing video files. What I finally chose was Corel's VideoStudio Pro X4. It is very complete and has both a simple, basic edit mode, and a more comprehensive editing mode for advanced work. It will also create files suitable for DVD production.

You can get it for $40USD.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod3910160&skuId=ESDVSPRX4ENUG&storeKey=us&trkid=SHOP&kw={keyword}&source=product-ads&adtype=pla

Understand that for full-high-definition video files you really need a very fast and modern computer. An older XP machine is perfectly capable of DV/SD-DVD quality video, so hopefully that's the quality you're heading for.
__________________
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
Old Dec-20-2011, 04:55 AM
#7
Art Scott is offline Art Scott
Have PASSPORT will TRAVEL
Art Scott's Avatar
iSkysoft is a good converter...I use a friends at times....think there is a free version as well as the paid for one.
__________________
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

A ZENFOLIO 10% Discount Coupon CODE - A8K-Q2K-VPG
Old Dec-23-2011, 12:31 PM
#8
RovingEyePhoto is offline RovingEyePhoto OP
SweetHomeChicago
RovingEyePhoto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by angevin1 View Post
You just need to google what it is you want to convert to. ie: .mts to Mp4 converter, etc. you'll have plenty to choose from.
Sounds like an easy answer. Many thanks ...
__________________
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
Old Dec-23-2011, 12:32 PM
#9
RovingEyePhoto is offline RovingEyePhoto OP
SweetHomeChicago
RovingEyePhoto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTO View Post
MPEG Streamclip should be able to do whatever you need for conversion.
I'll give it a try, thanks ...
__________________
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
Old Dec-23-2011, 12:37 PM
#10
RovingEyePhoto is offline RovingEyePhoto OP
SweetHomeChicago
RovingEyePhoto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy53 View Post
"MTS" is just a file wrapper, and does not specify the actual contents specifications. Often the file can be renamed with a suffix of "mp4" and they will load and play.

The following freeware can tell you the exact contents of the file, so you can know better what to rename the files.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
You may be able to load the renamed files on Windows MovieMaker, but I highly recommend against it. Windows MovieMaker tends to create as many problems as it solves.

Avidemux may be able to load and edit the file, and save it as a more universally recognized video type, especially if you intend to post the video on SmugMug. Avidemux is also freeware.
http://avidemux.berlios.de/
If you don't have any video codecs installed, you may also need to load a free codec pack:
http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Ess...-10662709.html
------------------------------

While the above will certainly get you started, if you want more stability and control, it would be better to purchase better software specific to editing video files. What I finally chose was Corel's VideoStudio Pro X4. It is very complete and has both a simple, basic edit mode, and a more comprehensive editing mode for advanced work. It will also create files suitable for DVD production.

You can get it for $40USD.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod3910160&skuId=ESDVSPRX4ENUG&storeKey=us&trkid=SHOP&kw={keyword}&source=product-ads&adtype=pla

Understand that for full-high-definition video files you really need a very fast and modern computer. An older XP machine is perfectly capable of DV/SD-DVD quality video, so hopefully that's the quality you're heading for.
Many thanks, Ziggy, I'll follow-up on all this. Regarding newer/older machines, I guess it's always a problem knowing what so many family members might be using. Probably nothing older than my XP, though, so I'll take to heart what you say about the DVD quality. And as busy as I seem to be and at the rate I move on such things, might be a new iMac sitting here by the time I get around to working this out. Interview was grand, though, I'll get the job done ...
__________________
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
Old Dec-23-2011, 12:38 PM
#11
RovingEyePhoto is offline RovingEyePhoto OP
SweetHomeChicago
RovingEyePhoto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Scott View Post
iSkysoft is a good converter...I use a friends at times....think there is a free version as well as the paid for one.
Many thanks, Art, I'll consider along with other responses received here ...
__________________
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
Tell The World!  
Similar Threads Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Programs to convert Danthon Action! 4 Sep-13-2008 07:13 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump