Options

Illusions of Hell

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 23, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's been a long time folks and I've been lurking in the Challenge Forum for a while... so jealous of all the cool themes Sherstone has been coming up with. I had quite a few ideas from the get when I saw the current challenge theme. Here is my first try. As I mentioned in that other thread, I don't plan on actually entering the challenge. I just want to push my own photography and editing by shooting the themes and sharing my stuff.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will share.

Hell-1-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2011
    Can I see some Illusions of Heaven, pls? :-)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Laughing.gif... too creepy?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Way cool... I really like this effect, especially in the context you've created. Was it created using the Droste filter in Pixel Bender? If so, I'm curious about the process/settings you used to get tot the final image. I guess I'm curious regardless of the software. Would you consider telling us a little (or a lot) about how you created this?
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    Way cool... I really like this effect, especially in the context you've created. Was it created using the Droste filter in Pixel Bender? If so, I'm curious about the process/settings you used to get tot the final image. I guess I'm curious regardless of the software. Would you consider telling us a little (or a lot) about how you created this?

Bill...

Yes. I used the Droste filter in Pixel Blender as a plugin to CS5. You can download the filter here and the Pixel Blender plugin here.

It's actually the first time I use it. I downloaded the filter a while back, it's free so what the heck but I've never used it. Never had a need. I honestly don't recall right now what settings I used; this was a bit quick and dirty and more trial/error than precise work. The filter has a ton of sliders and I just played around with each until it looked right. I mostly fiddled with the size sliders and the centering sliders. Also the inner and outer dimension sliders.

One thing that helped immensely was to mask my head out out of the background. I simply used the quick selection tool to select my head. I think cut/pasted it to a new transparent canvas. This helped make the effect of the Droste filter look more seemless; no hard edges from borders. Once I got it right, I came back to PS and did my edits. Converted to B&W, increased contrast through a curves layer, added a unsharp mask layer mask and then painted the sharpening effect to areas that were in focus. Last, I used a soft brush, set to about 15% opacity (black) and painted a some vignetting around the edges of my head (all of them :D) to blend everything together.

What took the longest was getting an understanding of what effect each of the Droste filter sliders had on the image. Once I got that down, it took me about 15 minutes total to get the image as you see it.

If I have time and the inspiration tonight, I will do another and post a tutorial of sorts.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    very nice. cool effect.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2011
    Bill...

It's actually the first time I use it. I downloaded the filter a while back, it's free so what the heck but I've never used it. Never had a need. I honestly don't recall right now what settings I used; this was a bit quick

What took the longest was getting an understanding of what effect each of the Droste filter sliders had on the image. Once I got that down, it took me about 15 minutes total to get the image as you see it.

If I have time and the inspiration tonight, I will do another and post a tutorial of sorts.

Thanks for your reply. I've messed with several Pixelbender filters in CS5 - just haven't quite got my head wrapped around all the sliders in the Droste one. Your use of a masked image on transparent BG makes sense. I'll give it a try later. Thanks again for sharing!

Bill
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    aitortugaitortug Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2011
    Muy interesante e inquietante
    ait. echeverria
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    Laughing.gif... too creepy?

Well ... maybe a tad for me .. Laughing.gifmwink.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2011
    Definitely unique, and a touch creepy! Great DOF & lighting, nice crisp focus.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    Do I see a raisin in the final mouth?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact